Author Topic: New cat yowled all night...any ideas?  (Read 2586 times)

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
Re: New cat yowled all night...any ideas?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 08:03:57 PM »
Yay!  I'm so happy he's settling in.  But even a cat knows when it's food time.  And they will not, ever, let you forget it! ;D

Since he's a small cat, and it sounds like he may be slightly underweight, you should probably leave out dry food for him overnight.  Unlike dogs, you typically don't need to monitor the food intake of cats - few of them will eat themselves fat. 
*snerk*
I have a 17 pound cat sitting on my feet at the moment

Our cat Tribble was... plump.  He was a British Shorthair, but even for that, he was massive.  Indoor cat loved his kibble.  He was never obese, we'd never stand for that, but a little plump. :)

When we first kept Tails, he ate himself silly.  We guess he was starving when we found him, because for the first year or so he'd eat himself until he got sick. :-\ He no longer does that, and tends to regulate his eating better.

norrina

Re: New cat yowled all night...any ideas? UPDATE, post 27
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 12:09:23 AM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I left the bathroom light on overnight for a few nights, since he seemed to view the bathroom as his "safe space". He's been getting steadily quieter at night since that first night, and as of last night only started meowing around 6:00 in the morning, because he feels that is breakfast time ;). He's a little vocal generally, but the night yowling seems to have been just a part of his settling in process. He's steadily getting more trusting of me and BF, and he's adorably playful (loves the catnip mouse!)

I will be posting pictures in the Cuteliness thread as soon as I get some good ones.

We have an almost 6 month old kitten that has been with us for 2 months now. He settled right in without any nighttime yowling (there were 6 people in our 3BR house the weekend that we got him, so anywhere he went there was someone to snuggle with, which may have helped, because he's a cuddler), but has always had a 6 a.m. wake up time and has thought his humans should too. I am not a morning person, so recently I've tried putting a little more food than usual in his dish before I go to bed. Turns out my little bugger doesn't want to eat at dawn-o'clock so much as he wants to play. If someone figures out how to stop that nonsense, I'm all ears. Yawn

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: New cat yowled all night...any ideas?
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2013, 01:54:39 AM »
I'm glad he is settling in and has chosen as safe space for himself. 
Maybe I missed it, but I wondered if you've given him a name. 

ETA  Oh, Seamus!  I just went to cuteliness and found his pictures.  He is adorable.  I love the one under the chair.  Talk about a charmer. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:03:01 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

greencat

Re: New cat yowled all night...any ideas? UPDATE, post 27
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2013, 02:00:19 AM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I left the bathroom light on overnight for a few nights, since he seemed to view the bathroom as his "safe space". He's been getting steadily quieter at night since that first night, and as of last night only started meowing around 6:00 in the morning, because he feels that is breakfast time ;). He's a little vocal generally, but the night yowling seems to have been just a part of his settling in process. He's steadily getting more trusting of me and BF, and he's adorably playful (loves the catnip mouse!)

I will be posting pictures in the Cuteliness thread as soon as I get some good ones.

We have an almost 6 month old kitten that has been with us for 2 months now. He settled right in without any nighttime yowling (there were 6 people in our 3BR house the weekend that we got him, so anywhere he went there was someone to snuggle with, which may have helped, because he's a cuddler), but has always had a 6 a.m. wake up time and has thought his humans should too. I am not a morning person, so recently I've tried putting a little more food than usual in his dish before I go to bed. Turns out my little bugger doesn't want to eat at dawn-o'clock so much as he wants to play. If someone figures out how to stop that nonsense, I'm all ears. Yawn

I don't know how to stop the cat, but I did somehow learn to differentiate between "I want food!"  "I want water!" and "I want attention!" and learned to sleep through the attention-crying and how to practically sleep-walk through feeding and watering the animals.