Author Topic: Ireland Christmas 2014  (Read 470 times)

katiescarlett

Ireland Christmas 2014
« on: January 19, 2013, 11:01:45 PM »
So, some friends and I are tentatively planning a trip to Ireland in 2014 at Christmas time.  This trip should actually happen!  Two years ago we were planning on going to either DC or San Francisco, when one friend decided to get married, one got pregnant, and one just had to graduate from college.  Such terrible friends! 

Just kidding of course!  Needless to say, that trip did not happen.  But this one should.  I will have been out of college for 6 months, the friend planning the trip will graduate from dental hygiene school this May, and the rest are unmarried like us.  So, as of right now, there is nothing stopping us!

Any suggestions for things to do or see?  What is the weather like at that time of year?  I have no idea where we will be going, I just found out a few minutes ago which country V had decided on.  It was between Ireland, Scotland, or Switzerland.  At least we have lots of time to plan the trip!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Ireland Christmas 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 11:49:21 PM »
Well let's see there's (and this is from what a friend saw and enjoyed when she went this past March) the Guinness Storehouse and Gravity Bar.  She and her sis went as soon as they arrived in Dublin.  I have a picture of them both holding up pints and looking tired, but happy. :) They also visited St. Patrick's Cathedral and one day made a special trip to Rathfarnham (sp?) to the Connemara Marble factory where the Walsh family makes some beautiful jewelry from the marble. 

They then stopped by a stud farm, drove past St. Brigid of Kildare's well and went to Cobh (what used to be Queenstown) where the Titanic last was seen as she took on passengers before heading to New York, and they visited the museum there.  They also went to Galway, the Ring of Kerry, Bunratty castle, and a few other places as well.  Galway Cathedral has a Connemara marble floor, absolutely beautiful from what I've told.

Then the tour was over but instead of flying home, my friend and her sister rented a car and drove up towards N. Ireland so they could be present when the Titanic Belfast museum opened for the 100 year anniversary.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 12:26:03 AM »
We're going for two weeks in May, so I can update after that.

So far, we're seeing the Book of Kells and Kilmanhaim Gaol in Dublin, along with just wandering around.  Then the Rock of Cashel, Blarney, Kenmare, the Ring of Kerry, Muckross House, and Cork.  And a whole lot of "hey, that looks cool, pull over."

Aoife

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 09:36:43 AM »
How about entering the lottery for admission to Newgrange for the winter solstice? You never know your luck...
http://www.knowth.eu/newgrange-solstice-lottery.htm

It's was pretty mild over Christmas this year, a jumper, coat and jeans were warm enough, with a hat, gloves and scarf for long walks. I guess it depends on the temperatures you're used to though!

If you're coming up to the North, the Titanic visitors centre in Belfast is very good and if you can go on a Sunday you can book one of the tours that include the replica staircase.