Author Topic: s/o things in movies/books that would lead to a restraining order in RL  (Read 21275 times)

Amava

Re: s/o things in movies/books that would lead to a restraining order in RL
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2013, 04:06:46 AM »
Ever seen the Twilight Zone 2002 episode "Evergreen"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29 Everyone in that gated community belonged in jail.

Haven't seen it, but I read the link... Holy heck, that /is/ scary!
Then again, it's the Twilight Zone. It's intended to be freaky.

There was an X-files episode about a gated community too, which was creepy as well. Does anyone remember what that episode was called, or what season it was?

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2013, 04:09:53 AM »
Ever seen the Twilight Zone 2002 episode "Evergreen"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29 Everyone in that gated community belonged in jail.

There was an X-files episode about a gated community too, which was creepy as well. Does anyone remember what that episode was called, or what season it was?

"Arcadia" - season 6, episode 15.

Amava

« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2013, 04:22:55 AM »

Whoa, thanks! That was fast! :D

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2013, 04:37:16 AM »

Whoa, thanks! That was fast! :D

I have the Google-fu :D

PurpleFrog

« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2013, 04:44:42 AM »
Is it coincidence that they both use the name Arcadia? I also remember a series of teen horror book (I think they were published under the 'nightmares' umbrella) set in the Arcadia Inn. Is there some massive reference I'm missing?
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2013, 04:48:28 AM »
Is it coincidence that they both use the name Arcadia? I also remember a series of teen horror book (I think they were published under the 'nightmares' umbrella) set in the Arcadia Inn. Is there some massive reference I'm missing?

Maybe this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia_(utopia) ?

faithlessone

« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2013, 05:37:31 AM »
Also one where a guy bought a dresser or a fancy desk of some sort secondhand, and found a pigeon hole in it.  He uncovered a letter written by a girl who owned the dresser formerly, a longing for someone to love.  He, for the fun of it, wrote a response letter and put it back in.  The next time he looked, he received a response back from the girl, and it culminates into him putting some item in it (a scarf?) and he goes to look up a cemetery with her name.  His personal item (scarf?) is found on the grave, with some sappy quote engraved to him.

I know that one!!! It's "The Love Letter", by Jack Finney. (You can read it online here: http://richters-time.blogspot.co.uk/2007/09/love-letter-by-jack-finney.html )

It was adapted into a tv-movie in 1998 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140340/ - which I completely love. (One of the very few rom-coms I actually like!)

Weez

« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2013, 05:40:15 AM »
I really like Merida, partly cause she's one of the few tomboy princesses in the Disney lineup.  And forgive my ignorance of Scottish history but would she really have been a princess? I got the impression that her parents were just the leaders of their clan and Disney used the "princess" title out of convenience.  That and she's Scottish and I have a soft spot for all things Celtic. Especially since there's a song sung in Irish Gaelic. :)

I have to confess that I haven't seen Brave yet, but I think you'd be right; her father would have been the Clan Chief but she wouldn't have been a princess.

Regarding the Gaelic, I do know that the song is in Scots Gaelic, not Irish Gaelic: there was a lot of media coverage here (I'm in Scotland and grew up in the Highlands). They're related languages, but not the same: Irish 'Gae rhymes with may' vs Scottish 'Gae rhymes with ma'.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2013, 08:12:16 AM »
I really like Merida, partly cause she's one of the few tomboy princesses in the Disney lineup.  And forgive my ignorance of Scottish history but would she really have been a princess? I got the impression that her parents were just the leaders of their clan and Disney used the "princess" title out of convenience.  That and she's Scottish and I have a soft spot for all things Celtic. Especially since there's a song sung in Irish Gaelic. :)

I have to confess that I haven't seen Brave yet, but I think you'd be right; her father would have been the Clan Chief but she wouldn't have been a princess.

Regarding the Gaelic, I do know that the song is in Scots Gaelic, not Irish Gaelic: there was a lot of media coverage here (I'm in Scotland and grew up in the Highlands). They're related languages, but not the same: Irish 'Gae rhymes with may' vs Scottish 'Gae rhymes with ma'.

Oops! That was a typo, as I knew it was Scots Gaelic but for some reason typed Irish Gaelic.  I didn't know that though about the difference in pronunciation of "gaelic" as I knew the Irish pronunciation but not the Scottish. 

But that's what I thought regarding the princess issue. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Weez

« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2013, 09:19:51 AM »
I think Scots Gaelic developed from the Irish, so they changed a few pronunciations along the way. Kind of like UK and US English perhaps? Or maybe us Scots are just awkward people who do things just to be stubborn  >:D :D Kind of like Merida herself?!

Getting back to the original thread and I have major problems with Disney's Snow White and the 7 Dwarves. Almost every scene is problematic: Stepmother hires man to kill Snow White; he lets her go but kills a deer just to extract the heart; she breaks into the Dwarves' house, rearranges it for them and they thank her; Stepmother tries to kill Snow White again; Stepmother is basically forced, by the dwarves, to jump off a cliff to her death; Snow White is saved by a complete stranger who insists on kissing her comatose body and the dwarves are happy for him to do this?!

Sorry, maybe I've been overthinking this one!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2013, 09:30:41 AM »
I think Scots Gaelic developed from the Irish, so they changed a few pronunciations along the way. Kind of like UK and US English perhaps? Or maybe us Scots are just awkward people who do things just to be stubborn  >:D :D Kind of like Merida herself?!

DH is 1/4 Irish and 1/4 Scottish, and I'm 1/2 Irish so between us we've got a good bit of hardheadedness going for us.  We jokingly argue about who the kids got their headstrong ways from and in all truth it's both of us but it's fun to prove our stubborn natures by saying "he got it from you!" "No you're more stubborn! No you are!"  >:D

I thought of a song last night that made me laugh as I thought of this thread.  "The Sweater" In which it tells of a teen girl who has just pulled over her head the sweater belonging to a boy.  The song's very tongue in cheek but this part really kind of made me think of the thread.

Girls, I know you will understand this and feel the intrinsic incredible emotion
 You have just pulled over your head the worn, warm sweater belonging to a boy
 Now, you haven't had a passionate kissing session or anything,
 but you got to go on a camping trip with him and eight other people from school
 And you practically slept together, your sleeping bag right next to his
 And you woke in the night to watch him as he slept
but you couldn't see anything 'cause it was dark
 so you just laid there and listened to his breathing and wondered if your heart might burst

The sweater has that faintly goat-like smell which all teenage boys possess,
and that smell will lovingly transfer to all your other clothes
 If you get to keep it for a few days you can sleep with it
 but don't let your mom see, 'cause she'll say,
 "what is that filthy thing, and who does it belong to besides the trash man?"
 So you have to keep it under the covers with you
 You can kind of lie it beside you,
or wrap it around your waist,
or touch it on your legs,
 or whatever That's your business

Then later in the song the girl finds out the boy didn't mean to give it to her and he's been looking for it all weekend and wants it back. 

But not before she sees the label. 100% acrylic.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

darling

« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2013, 09:34:35 AM »

Actually, it is explained in the movie that her father was named King of the four clans, so she is a princess. It's emphasized quite a lot in the movie, because Merida hates all of the things a princess is supposed to do and be. "A princess does not..." "A princess is...". I love that movie!!!!! :)

greencat

« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »
Not to mention, Brave is set in a fantasy world strongly based on Scotland but not actually Scotland.

I personally had an issue with the "costuming" in Brave - the ladies' gowns were based off 14th century styles, the fur cloaks the men were wearing were pre-Norman-conquest, and the tartan kilts the men were wearing were 16th century or later only, both in fabric and in style.  Having distinct clan patterns came from no earlier than the 19th century. 

//nerd complaints. 

Allyson

« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2013, 12:08:18 PM »

To be fair, this is changing.  Romance novels from the 70's and 80's were often called "bodice-rippers" for good reason - rape was considered a valid plot point and a perfectly dandy means of ratcheting up the sexual tension.  There are certainly plenty of modern romances in which the hero is a complete boor to the heroine - including situations like "this would totally be skeevy if they didn't have a magical paranormal attraction to each other" - but there are an increasing number which aren't like that.  I read a lot of historical romance, and I'm writing one myself - and I've fallen into the habit of reading my favorite authors whom I can now trust not to do that!  It's entirely possible to write an authentic 1815ish hero who is an arrogant jerk (because they kind of all were and hey, he needs room for character growth) but who nonetheless is ready to stop on a dime if the heroine shows the first sign of wanting him to.

Yes! It's definitely getting better. The authors I read on a regular basis don't do that, and usually I can trust this author not to--which is why her hero's behaviour so took me by surprise! Though some of her other male leads have hints of 'I am attracted to you, so I am going to be super possessive of you while also angry with you for 'making' me feel this way!' (Though they never go as far as the 80's style.) I also know that the 'super dominant alpha' hero is a major, if not a requirement, for a lot of romance readers. So, I don't think these books are going anywhere, though they have moved a lot of them to paranormal genres.

I'd love to know your favourite historical romance authors if you don't mind! I am always looking for new books with non-jerk heroes. I'm a huge fan of love stories with happy endings, just could live without some of the weird dynamics.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #194 on: January 17, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »
If we're going to get into songs, I nominate the following:

-Sting - Every Breath You Take
I think this one is so notorious I don't need to say any more - except to note that Sting appears to be as horrified as I am by the number of people who use this one as their first dance at their wedding!
-Whitney Houston - Saving All My Love
She's having an affair with a married man. This is romantic, how?
-Brother Beyond - The Harder I Try
Anyone who wants to "make you love me" ought to be told to take a long walk off a short pier
-Various people - Better The Devil You Know *
So it's better to be with a lying cheating scumbag than it is to be single? Thanks; I'll stick with microwave dinners for one!

And those are just the top four on my list of "Songs That Should Certainly Never Get Played At A Wedding Reception"

* I can think of two versions of this song and I don't think either of them are the originators!

If I remember, the eHell blog covered unfortunate songs used at weddings a time ago.  It included such classics as "Send In The Clowns," and "The Lady Is a Tramp."  Classy, though a little o/t.

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=62215.0

This thread?

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls