Author Topic: s/o things in movies/books that would lead to a restraining order in RL  (Read 23265 times)

NestHolder

Re: s/o things in movies/books that would lead to a restraining order in RL
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2013, 08:00:52 AM »
In Groundhog Day, the main character spends many of his lives getting information out of his love interest so that he can sleep with her - it's definitely 'cheating', and he isn't interested in what she likes, only in what he can use.  I'm so happy that it doesn't work, and after a while she balks earlier and earlier.  In the end, he can only 'win' the girl by turning into a decent human being.  A nice lesson.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2013, 09:49:44 AM »
I don't know about a restraining order... but I always wanted to call CPS on Lorelai Gilmore for feeding her daughter carp all.day.long.

It's an unusual culinary choice, but unless Rory was allergic to fish, I don't see the problem.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2013, 09:57:51 AM »
oh and another one -matilda. didn't properly secure her in the car on the way home from the hospital. the parents left her at home alone all day long from age zero. they didn't send her to school when they were supposed to. didn't remember her age. father was busy scamming people all day long. and they gave her up for adoption without blinking. great home for a child to grow up in...

I was going to mention that one! :) My daughter loves it for the "magic" Matilda can do, while I'm emphasizing the magic of the librarian telling Matilda about library cards.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2013, 10:10:19 AM »
In Groundhog Day, the main character spends many of his lives getting information out of his love interest so that he can sleep with her - it's definitely 'cheating', and he isn't interested in what she likes, only in what he can use.  I'm so happy that it doesn't work, and after a while she balks earlier and earlier.  In the end, he can only 'win' the girl by turning into a decent human being.  A nice lesson.

Yes! One of my favorites.

I haven't seen anyone mention "Housesitter" with Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn. It's a funny movie, but really? She breaks into his house and starts living there, spending his money, telling his friends and family she's his wife, and that's somehow quirky and charming?
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2013, 10:24:14 AM »
Someone upthread mentioned Flowers in the Attic...yes, absolutely!

Quick story, for those who haven't read it: woman has four children with her husband (who is also her half-uncle or some such thing), husband dies, woman is destitute and needs help from her uber-wealthy aging parents. Her father doesn't know about the four children and won't give woman a nickel if he ever finds out about them, so woman and her mother decide to lock said children in an attic for something like 2 years. Then all four children are poisoned with arsenic and the youngest one eventually dies and the other three escape.

The books are insanely ridiculous, with no mention of the woman and her mother getting in any sort of legal trouble. I believe though, in the final book, the oldest daughter eventually gets revenge on her mother by killing her husband or something. No jail for her either.

Even with all the craziness, what icked me out was the 40-something guardian with 16 year old Cathy.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2013, 10:31:01 AM »
I don't know about a restraining order... but I always wanted to call CPS on Lorelai Gilmore for feeding her daughter carp all.day.long.

It's an unusual culinary choice, but unless Rory was allergic to fish, I don't see the problem.

Rob

*snicker*

I remember reading a lot of V.C. Andrews books as a kid and eventually had to stop for all the incest in her stories.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

amylouky

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2013, 10:35:39 AM »
Well, there's the date rape that Jake set his g/f up for in Sixteen Candles.. hopefully would lead to more than a restraining order, though.

weeblewobble

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2013, 10:39:40 AM »
Well, there's the date rape that Jake set his g/f up for in Sixteen Candles.. hopefully would lead to more than a restraining order, though.

Gah! I'd never thought of it that way!!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »
Overboard- Goldie Hawn's character might have been a jerk, but lying to her for months was not an acceptable response.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

amylouky

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2013, 10:57:14 AM »

Gah! I'd never thought of it that way!!

I didn't either when I was younger.. I watched it again when I was about 30 and was disturbed.
I LOVED Jake..

Syfygeek

« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2013, 11:03:53 AM »
snip..
Also most of the books by Christine Feehan where the male lead is a "Carpathian" which appears to be someone with vampiric traits and a belief that their pre-selected beloved really wants an up tight control freak who tries to boss them around and control their behaviour.

I like vampire books, but the only one of this series I read was the one where the "Lead Crapathian" decided the girl was ready to be his, no matter what she said, bit her, killed her and buried her. And let her wake up by herself and dig her way out of the grave.

I love John Wayne movies, but McClintock makes me crazy! Sure he's a hard working, hard drinking man, but chasing your estranged wife thru town and spanking her isn't appropriate, and encouraging a young man to do the same to your daughter isn't either!
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2013, 11:42:08 AM »
How about "My Best Friend's Wedding"?  I could not stand Julia Robert's character and wanted to smack Cameron Diaz's character for being so forgiving and letting her still be the bridesmaid.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »
This is from TV.  In Glee when Rachel sent a rival to a crackhouse, when Sebastian almost blinded Blaine, whenever anyone throw a slushie in someone's face, throwing people into dumpsters and lockers.  So many things on that show would have assult charges filed in real life and the school would be facing multiple law suits.  I would certainly raise hell to the media at the very least.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2013, 12:10:48 PM »
How about "My Best Friend's Wedding"?  I could not stand Julia Robert's character and wanted to smack Cameron Diaz's character for being so forgiving and letting her still be the bridesmaid.  ::)

Oh my gosh yes.

Charlize Theron's character in Young Adult. I realize that dysfunction was the point of her character, but holy trainwreck.

Miss March

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2013, 12:21:02 PM »
There's a cute little Sandra Bullock movie that I like to watch at the holidays called "While You Were Sleeping." She plays a lonely woman who works at a railway station, who has a crush on a handsome man who often passes through the train station, but she never speaks to him. One day, he is attacked and he falls onto the tracks and she saves him. As he is taken to the hospital in a coma, she (thinking of her fantasy life) says "But I was supposed to marry him," and the hospital staff take her words literally. Next thing you know, she's been introduced to his grieving and anxious family as his fiance, and she goes along with it, hanging out with the family, attending family events, and even going through the man's apartment. In the film, it's appealing, because Sandra plays such a good-hearted person and you understand that she's very lonely, and when the truth finally comes out, everyone forgives her and welcomes her into the family. But in real life, if a stranger posed as the fiance of a man she had never met who was in a coma, that would be pretty reprehensible.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo