Author Topic: s/o things in movies/books that would lead to a restraining order in RL  (Read 23234 times)

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
Re: s/o things in movies/books that would lead to a restraining order in RL
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2013, 06:08:52 PM »
This might be different because these things might have flown at the time the movie was made, but not today. In "The Breakfast Club," Andrew (the jock) tapes a very hairy student's rear end together. It's mentioned that when they took the tape off the skin came with it. These days, he probably would have had assault charges brought against him, and his punishment at school would have been much more severe than just Saturday detention. Also, Brian (the nerd) brings a gun to school. It's either a flare gun or pellet gun, I can't remember, but today he would have been expelled.

stkatie00

« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2013, 06:36:25 PM »
"Kiss Me Kate", with Howard Keel.  His character is terrible.  He lies to and tricks his ex-wife then, when she finds out one of his lies and is furious at him, he spanks her on stage.  But, in the end, she goes back to him.

Another Howard Keel film: "7 Brides for 7 Brothers".  His character, Adam, persuades Milly (who's working as a cook in a nearby town) to marry him and keep house for him, but fails to mention she'll also be cooking, cleaning and keeping house for his 6 brothers too.  She finds out when they arrive home, and why she didn't bean him with a frying pan is beyond me.  Then, because his brothers are all mooning around, missing the girls from town they fell in love with, he persuades them that it's a great idea to go into town and kidnap the girls. :o  Milly and the girls do give all 7 of the brothers heck, but even so.

To be fair, "Kiss Me Kate" is based off of Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew," and although I can't remember if the spanking occurs in Taming of the Shrew (I'm leaning toward yes), it's a fairly accurate adaptation, if I'm remembering correctly.

nuit93

« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »
I don't know about a restraining order... but I always wanted to call CPS on Lorelai Gilmore for feeding her daughter carp all.day.long.

It's an unusual culinary choice, but unless Rory was allergic to fish, I don't see the problem.

Rob

*snicker*

I remember reading a lot of V.C. Andrews books as a kid and eventually had to stop for all the incest in her stories.

To be fair, she only actually wrote the Flowers series, and I think also My Sweet Audrina.  Everything else was ghost-written.

I stopped reading them because they were all starting to sound the same.

snowflake

« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2013, 06:50:14 PM »
"Kiss Me Kate", with Howard Keel.  His character is terrible.  He lies to and tricks his ex-wife then, when she finds out one of his lies and is furious at him, he spanks her on stage.  But, in the end, she goes back to him.

Another Howard Keel film: "7 Brides for 7 Brothers".  His character, Adam, persuades Milly (who's working as a cook in a nearby town) to marry him and keep house for him, but fails to mention she'll also be cooking, cleaning and keeping house for his 6 brothers too.  She finds out when they arrive home, and why she didn't bean him with a frying pan is beyond me.  Then, because his brothers are all mooning around, missing the girls from town they fell in love with, he persuades them that it's a great idea to go into town and kidnap the girls. :o  Milly and the girls do give all 7 of the brothers heck, but even so.

To be fair, "Kiss Me Kate" is based off of Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew," and although I can't remember if the spanking occurs in Taming of the Shrew (I'm leaning toward yes), it's a fairly accurate adaptation, if I'm remembering correctly.

I actually don't expect any of the love stories in Shakespeare to be healthy.  I think he pretty much made them all dysfunctional on purpose for shock value.

Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I differentiate between things like While you were sleeping, Twelfth Night, and Bringing up Baby which are meant to be silly and romantic stories where I'm supposed to be rooting for the relationship in a serious way.

JadeAngel

« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2013, 07:04:46 PM »
That said, I am a notorious grinch about "romantic" movies.  One thing I remember is watching Untamed Heart where the lead is your garden variety stalker who saves her from other stalkers - so it's OK, right?  The female lead is some annoying, jellyfish of a woman without a single interesting trait.  And at the end I said, "Oh thank goodness he died, because he was pretty annoying and she'd kick him to the curb after a month!"

Speaking of Christian Slater he made another one called 'Bed of Roses' where he was out wandering the streets late at night and saw Lisa (Mary Stuart Masterson) crying over her dead goldfish, so he follows her to her office the next morning and sends her flowers there, anonymously, with no note. She then tracks him down to the flower shop and agrees to a date, after which he bombards her with flowers (he sent her every single rose of a specific variety that was available in New York City) until she agrees to a second date with him. The Christian Slater character's sister warns him to slow down to which he blithely replies 'too late, I'm in love with her, it's great' He also proposes to her in front of his entire family the first time she ever meets them with no warning because he thought it would be 'something nice' for them all to share on Christmas Eve... but no pressure there, not at all!

Bonus points for Lisa arriving home to find lights on in her apartment and immediately grabbing her stun gun from her purse only to discover that her lover (Josh Brolin) is in her bed watching her TV and eating noodles he found in her fridge after her doorman let him in to the apartment without Lisa's permission. I would be getting a new doorman, she shrugs and takes back the noodles. I guess she's used to weird by now.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2013, 07:14:10 PM »
Edward and Bella are my least favorite characters in Twilight.  When a dude tells you that he's been watching you sleep without you being aware he's in your room, it's not romantic. Ever.

Anything Angelus did to Buffy.

Some of the things Angel did to Buffy.

There was a jeans commercial a few years ago where a beautiful woman was driving cross country and she's obviously in a desert.  A guy follows her when she stops and gives her something (sunglasses, maybe?)  She says, "Oh, where did I drop this?" And he says, "Nebraska."

A friend of mine did something similar, although she didn't do it out of romance. She saw another truck driver leave his thermos at a gas station and leave, and when she paid for her stuff, grabbed it and ran after him, he had driven off. She knew he was from her company (not sure how) so she cleaned it out, put it in her cab and caught up with him a week or so later and returned it.

Turns out it was a father's day gift from his kids and he was very grateful. They run into each other occasionally.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Docslady21

« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2013, 07:49:25 PM »
I don't know about a restraining order... but I always wanted to call CPS on Lorelai Gilmore for feeding her daughter carp all.day.long.

It's an unusual culinary choice, but unless Rory was allergic to fish, I don't see the problem.

Rob

*snicker*

I remember reading a lot of V.C. Andrews books as a kid and eventually had to stop for all the incest in her stories.

To be fair, she only actually wrote the Flowers series, and I think also My Sweet Audrina.  Everything else was ghost-written.

Those 5 books are all the same formula: Rape, incest, child abuse, depression, death, murder, and more incest. So even if all the ghost-written books never happened, she pretty much painted herself into a corner for her novel "type."

weeblewobble

« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2013, 08:06:03 PM »

Yes, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is parody of "The R@pe of the Sabine," which is an ancient Roman legend.   A writer adapted it into a story called "The Sobbin' Women." (Sabine/Sobbin) in the 1950s, I think.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2013, 08:14:39 PM »

Rob

*snicker*

Those 5 books are all the same formula: Rape, incest, child abuse, depression, death, murder, and more incest. So even if all the ghost-written books never happened, she pretty much painted herself into a corner for her novel "type."

My Sweet Audrina was quite a wacky trip but it didn't have incest.

NutMeg

« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »

Hahaha! I love that movie so much. I laugh uncontrollably throughout. "Bless your beautiful hide! You're the one for me."
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

Hawkwatcher

« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2013, 09:20:30 PM »
I think that romantic comedies such as While You were Sleeping and This Means War are the worst offenders of showing behavior that would result in a restraining order.  I also consider Knight and Day somewhat creepy because Tom Cruise's character kept drugging Cameron Diaz's character. 

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
This might be different because these things might have flown at the time the movie was made, but not today. In "The Breakfast Club," Andrew (the jock) tapes a very hairy student's rear end together. It's mentioned that when they took the tape off the skin came with it. These days, he probably would have had assault charges brought against him, and his punishment at school would have been much more severe than just Saturday detention. Also, Brian (the nerd) brings a gun to school. It's either a flare gun or pellet gun, I can't remember, but today he would have been expelled.

It was a flare gun.  It went off in his locker.  It destroyed the elephant lamp.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2013, 10:57:14 PM »
snip..
Also most of the books by Christine Feehan where the male lead is a "Carpathian" which appears to be someone with vampiric traits and a belief that their pre-selected beloved really wants an up tight control freak who tries to boss them around and control their behaviour.

I love John Wayne movies, but McClintock makes me crazy! Sure he's a hard working, hard drinking man, but chasing your estranged wife thru town and spanking her isn't appropriate, and encouraging a young man to do the same to your daughter isn't either!

That is my favorite John Wayne movie :-[
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2013, 12:36:52 AM »
I can't stand most romcoms. Too cheesy, too unrealistic. However, a PP mentioned This Means War. I agree completely, but I still loved the movie because I enjoyed the comedic/ridiculousness factor. And Tom Hardy. Tom Hardy can break into my house any day he wants. :P
I didn't say I didn't love the movie (I do!), but when I put on my Captain Sensible hat, it's creeps me out a little.  ;)

Speaking of unrealistic actions, what sane woman with functional ears (that voice!) and eyes would possibly choose Chris Pine over Tom Hardy?  :o
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2013, 01:08:00 AM »
There were a lot of things in Glee which really bothered me.  I get that it's all exaggerated and a parody of high school (and being teased in high school), but the Glee kids put up with abuse every day that the administration should have prosecuted - and if the school wasn't willing to do anything about it, the kids should have been able to take charges to the police.  Slushie facials, getting thrown in the dumpsters, getting locked in port-a-potties, getting assaulted in the hallways - I guess what makes me mad is because these kinds of things *do* happen, and schools *do* turn a blind eye when the culprits are popular/important/well-connected enough.  I did eventually watch the first 2 seasons of Glee, but the very first episode I ever saw was the rape scene and it put me off the show for over a year.  I mentioned that to a friend and he didn't remember any rape scene, but it was a major plot point: Coach Sylvester drugs the principal and sets him up so she can take a picture of the two of them in bed together and threatens to send it to his wife.  You then see that she's still in her track suit, i.e. you assume nothing happened, but he doesn't know that.  All he knows is that he woke up after being drugged and found himself in bed with someone he doesn't like, who then photographs him against his will and blackmails him with it.  I know it's not what you'd normally think of as the kind of rape scene a show like this would include, but it just boils my blood that there's no repercussions for the characters whatsoever.  Heck, the whole Quinn being pregnant thing stems from her sleeping with Puck "because I had a few too many wine coolers and because I was feeling fat that day." How is that not date rape?