Author Topic: s/o things in movies/books that would lead to a restraining order in RL  (Read 21317 times)

Betelnut

Re: s/o things in movies/books that would lead to a restraining order in RL
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »
In The Philadelphia Story, Dexter hits his then-wife Tracy and it's treated like it's no big deal at all. Tracy's little sister even thinks it was really cool and he should dock her again.

As I recall, he puts his hand on her face and then pushes.  More of a push rather than a hit.  True, not nice and not something that should be done...

Love that movie.  My favorite KH movie for sure!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »
On the other hand, my cousin had a long-term dislike of James Cagney after seeing the "grapefruit in the kisser" clip. I had to explain to her that (1)  it was the character, not him, and (2) he was *supposed* to be a horrible person in that role. It wasn't "oh, cute, he pushed a grapefruit rind into his girl's face, giggle, giggle," it was to show how crude and violent he was.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

magician5

« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2013, 02:36:23 PM »
The musical "Carousel" - I want to like it so much, and most of the show is wonderful, but the main male character is such a bad man (I had almost worked my way past that) and then, in response to his abusive behavior, his true love says "Sometimes someone hits you and it feels like a kiss" ... no, no, no!
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

asb8

« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2013, 03:30:50 PM »
Heck, the whole Quinn being pregnant thing stems from her sleeping with Puck "because I had a few too many wine coolers and because I was feeling fat that day." How is that not date rape?

I don't think that was rape, I think that was lowered inhibitions, hormonal teenagers and bad timing.  I do agree with you about the Sue thing though.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Everything that is supposed to be "romantic" about Edward Cullen and Jacob Black (pedophilia, emotional abuse, kidnapping, stalking, breaking-and-entering, disabling the truck). *shudder*

Syfygeek

« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2013, 04:38:56 PM »
There were a lot of things in Glee which really bothered me.  I get that it's all exaggerated and a parody of high school (and being teased in high school), but the Glee kids put up with abuse every day that the administration should have prosecuted - and if the school wasn't willing to do anything about it, the kids should have been able to take charges to the police.  Slushie facials, getting thrown in the dumpsters, getting locked in port-a-potties, getting assaulted in the hallways - I guess what makes me mad is because these kinds of things *do* happen, and schools *do* turn a blind eye when the culprits are popular/important/well-connected enough.  I did eventually watch the first 2 seasons of Glee, but the very first episode I ever saw was the rape scene and it put me off the show for over a year.  I mentioned that to a friend and he didn't remember any rape scene, but it was a major plot point: Coach Sylvester drugs the principal and sets him up so she can take a picture of the two of them in bed together and threatens to send it to his wife.  You then see that she's still in her track suit, i.e. you assume nothing happened, but he doesn't know that.  All he knows is that he woke up after being drugged and found himself in bed with someone he doesn't like, who then photographs him against his will and blackmails him with it.  I know it's not what you'd normally think of as the kind of rape scene a show like this would include, but it just boils my blood that there's no repercussions for the characters whatsoever.  Heck, the whole Quinn being pregnant thing stems from her sleeping with Puck "because I had a few too many wine coolers and because I was feeling fat that day." How is that not date rape?

There's a Buffy/Glee crossover fanfiction where authorities are called on the principal, the teachers are reported and the football team is beaten up by Faith and Buffy for all these reasons.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2013, 04:54:17 PM »
I don't know about a restraining order... but I always wanted to call CPS on Lorelai Gilmore for feeding her daughter carp all.day.long.

It's an unusual culinary choice, but unless Rory was allergic to fish, I don't see the problem.

Rob

*snicker*

I remember reading a lot of V.C. Andrews books as a kid and eventually had to stop for all the incest in her stories.

To be fair, she only actually wrote the Flowers series, and I think also My Sweet Audrina.  Everything else was ghost-written.

I stopped reading them because they were all starting to sound the same.

Those 5 books are all the same formula: Rape, incest, child abuse, depression, death, murder, and more incest. So even if all the ghost-written books never happened, she pretty much painted herself into a corner for her novel "type."

My Sweet Audrina was quite a wacky trip but it didn't have incest.

Not directly, but the way Audrina's father acted towards her was a bit creepy and overbearing.

I thought of that as emotional abuse, at the least. "Let's not get our traumatized daughter therapy, instead we'll pretend it happened to someone else and convince her that she's her own younger sister because then she'll be happy again, and that will make daddy happy!" Ye gods.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

sourwolf

« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2013, 04:58:03 PM »
I don't know about a restraining order... but I always wanted to call CPS on Lorelai Gilmore for feeding her daughter carp all.day.long.

It's an unusual culinary choice, but unless Rory was allergic to fish, I don't see the problem.

Rob

*snicker*

I remember reading a lot of V.C. Andrews books as a kid and eventually had to stop for all the incest in her stories.

To be fair, she only actually wrote the Flowers series, and I think also My Sweet Audrina.  Everything else was ghost-written.

I stopped reading them because they were all starting to sound the same.

Those 5 books are all the same formula: Rape, incest, child abuse, depression, death, murder, and more incest. So even if all the ghost-written books never happened, she pretty much painted herself into a corner for her novel "type."

My Sweet Audrina was quite a wacky trip but it didn't have incest.

Not directly, but the way Audrina's father acted towards her was a bit creepy and overbearing.

I thought of that as emotional abuse, at the least. "Let's not get our traumatized daughter therapy, instead we'll pretend it happened to someone else and convince her that she's her own younger sister because then she'll be happy again, and that will make daddy happy!" Ye gods.

Oh my, my semi-traumatized 11 year old self must have repressed all memories of this book but the last post brought it right back.  IIRC there was even more sinister goings on I think the half (step?) sister set her up to be attacked because she thought Audrina was spoiled or something ridiculous.  I'm pretty sure just about everyone ended up dead at the end of this book too.

Winterlight

• Super Hero!
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2013, 05:02:21 PM »
Close. Here's my favorite summary- NSFW language. 

http://foreveryoungadult.com/2011/06/10/a-review-of-the-worst-book-in-history/
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
Caroline Lake Ingalls

sourwolf

« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »

Oh.  Wow.  Thanks? That review was both really funny and horrifying. 

Iris

« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2013, 06:32:28 PM »
There were a lot of things in Glee which really bothered me.  I get that it's all exaggerated and a parody of high school (and being teased in high school), but the Glee kids put up with abuse every day that the administration should have prosecuted - and if the school wasn't willing to do anything about it, the kids should have been able to take charges to the police.  Slushie facials, getting thrown in the dumpsters, getting locked in port-a-potties, getting assaulted in the hallways - I guess what makes me mad is because these kinds of things *do* happen, and schools *do* turn a blind eye when the culprits are popular/important/well-connected enough.  I did eventually watch the first 2 seasons of Glee, but the very first episode I ever saw was the rape scene and it put me off the show for over a year.  I mentioned that to a friend and he didn't remember any rape scene, but it was a major plot point: Coach Sylvester drugs the principal and sets him up so she can take a picture of the two of them in bed together and threatens to send it to his wife.  You then see that she's still in her track suit, i.e. you assume nothing happened, but he doesn't know that.  All he knows is that he woke up after being drugged and found himself in bed with someone he doesn't like, who then photographs him against his will and blackmails him with it.  I know it's not what you'd normally think of as the kind of rape scene a show like this would include, but it just boils my blood that there's no repercussions for the characters whatsoever.  Heck, the whole Quinn being pregnant thing stems from her sleeping with Puck "because I had a few too many wine coolers and because I was feeling fat that day." How is that not date rape?

There's a Buffy/Glee crossover fanfiction where authorities are called on the principal, the teachers are reported and the football team is beaten up by Faith and Buffy for all these reasons.

That sounds great! Could you link to it please?
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Iris

« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2013, 06:33:38 PM »

Beat me to it  :) I love that post and thought of it as soon as I was reading the "My Sweet Audrina" comments.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

nuit93

« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »

Wow...I think I'd blocked out just how bad the book was before now.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2013, 07:39:24 PM »
"Kiss Me Kate", with Howard Keel.  His character is terrible.  He lies to and tricks his ex-wife then, when she finds out one of his lies and is furious at him, he spanks her on stage.  But, in the end, she goes back to him.

Another Howard Keel film: "7 Brides for 7 Brothers".  His character, Adam, persuades Milly (who's working as a cook in a nearby town) to marry him and keep house for him, but fails to mention she'll also be cooking, cleaning and keeping house for his 6 brothers too.  She finds out when they arrive home, and why she didn't bean him with a frying pan is beyond me.  Then, because his brothers are all mooning around, missing the girls from town they fell in love with, he persuades them that it's a great idea to go into town and kidnap the girls. :o  Milly and the girls do give all 7 of the brothers heck, but even so.

The story is worse - in the movie, it's the brothers' idea.  In the written version, Milly had sworn to herself that she wouldn't spend the rest of her life cleaning up after a lot of men, just her own husband and children.

So she schemed a bit to find them women they were attracted to and then made sure that the women were available for courtship (although nothing more than courtship - as she was a married woman, they were chaperoned after the kidnapping).  Not to mention a lot more help with keeping up with seven men (six after Adam took off for the cabin, in the movie) and one pregnant woman/new mother with a baby.

And the story ends with SEVEN cabins in the clearing with seven happy couples....which is what the movie implies is happening with six girls marrying six guys in one quick wedding, complete with six very unhappy fathers with shotguns.

And Adam, who now realizes (as the father of a daughter) that he really shouldn't have done that....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Winterlight

• Super Hero!
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2013, 10:21:59 PM »

That sounds great! Could you link to it please?

This one, maybe?
http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-24497/JennyAnn+Doomsday.htm
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
Caroline Lake Ingalls