Author Topic: s/o things in movies/books that would lead to a restraining order in RL  (Read 23425 times)

Iris

Re: s/o things in movies/books that would lead to a restraining order in RL
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2013, 10:49:02 PM »
There were a lot of things in Glee which really bothered me.  I get that it's all exaggerated and a parody of high school (and being teased in high school), but the Glee kids put up with abuse every day that the administration should have prosecuted - and if the school wasn't willing to do anything about it, the kids should have been able to take charges to the police.  Slushie facials, getting thrown in the dumpsters, getting locked in port-a-potties, getting assaulted in the hallways - I guess what makes me mad is because these kinds of things *do* happen, and schools *do* turn a blind eye when the culprits are popular/important/well-connected enough.  I did eventually watch the first 2 seasons of Glee, but the very first episode I ever saw was the rape scene and it put me off the show for over a year.  I mentioned that to a friend and he didn't remember any rape scene, but it was a major plot point: Coach Sylvester drugs the principal and sets him up so she can take a picture of the two of them in bed together and threatens to send it to his wife.  You then see that she's still in her track suit, i.e. you assume nothing happened, but he doesn't know that.  All he knows is that he woke up after being drugged and found himself in bed with someone he doesn't like, who then photographs him against his will and blackmails him with it.  I know it's not what you'd normally think of as the kind of rape scene a show like this would include, but it just boils my blood that there's no repercussions for the characters whatsoever.  Heck, the whole Quinn being pregnant thing stems from her sleeping with Puck "because I had a few too many wine coolers and because I was feeling fat that day." How is that not date rape?

There's a Buffy/Glee crossover fanfiction where authorities are called on the principal, the teachers are reported and the football team is beaten up by Faith and Buffy for all these reasons.

That sounds great! Could you link to it please?

This one, maybe?
http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-24497/JennyAnn+Doomsday.htm

Ha! Most enjoyable. Thanks :)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2013, 12:49:57 AM »
Come to think of it, "Baby, It's Cold Outside," is particularly... creepy.

"Say what's in this drink?"

http://lyrics.wikia.com/Gracenote:Frank_Loesser:Baby,_It%27s_Cold_Outside

greencat

« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2013, 12:55:40 AM »
I'm reminded of this video that CollegeHumor did a few years ago lampooning one of the songs from Grease:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9eHdb2bR9g

Asharah

« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2013, 01:07:57 AM »
How about the V.C. Andrews drinking game. Read through a book series of hers and take a drink every time a character does something they should go to jail for. See if you can actually get through one book without passing out.  ;D
Asharah

Iris

« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2013, 01:15:10 AM »
^ You two  ;D ;D ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2013, 01:26:35 AM »
For those who dislike how creepy Edward fro, twilight is, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwM3GvaTRM
It's a remix from Buffy and Twilight, with Buffy respomdimg to Edwards wooing like any sane woman would. It is hilarious!

BB-VA

« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2013, 06:24:19 AM »
And as much as I love NCIS and the head slap, you know that wouldn't go over well in real life. 

Well, it didn't go over well in that Sexual Harassment seminar, did it? (Season 4, "Driven", I think?)

Neither did Jimmy's job (being around dead people all day).
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

faithlessone

« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2013, 07:12:32 AM »
And as much as I love NCIS and the head slap, you know that wouldn't go over well in real life. 

Well, it didn't go over well in that Sexual Harassment seminar, did it? (Season 4, "Driven", I think?)

Neither did Jimmy's job (being around dead people all day).

Naked dead people!

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2013, 08:20:43 AM »

YES. I really enjoyed Zooey Deschenel's band (She&Him)'s rendition of it--because in that one, the woman is the one trying to get the man to stay. For some reason that seems a lot less creepy to me.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2013, 08:40:03 AM »
If we're going to get into songs, I nominate the following:

-Sting - Every Breath You Take
I think this one is so notorious I don't need to say any more - except to note that Sting appears to be as horrified as I am by the number of people who use this one as their first dance at their wedding!
-Whitney Houston - Saving All My Love
She's having an affair with a married man. This is romantic, how?
-Brother Beyond - The Harder I Try
Anyone who wants to "make you love me" ought to be told to take a long walk off a short pier
-Various people - Better The Devil You Know *
So it's better to be with a lying cheating scumbag than it is to be single? Thanks; I'll stick with microwave dinners for one!

And those are just the top four on my list of "Songs That Should Certainly Never Get Played At A Wedding Reception"

* I can think of two versions of this song and I don't think either of them are the originators!

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2013, 09:05:59 AM »
On another note, Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander."  I know it's a period piece, but the part where Jamie does his "duty" and administers a proper beating to his wife soured me on the whole series.  It's been a while since I read it but I think the wife eventually even accepts that it's her fault for driving him to it.  NO.

Not quite. She accepted his reasoning for doing it, but while she accepted she'd done something wrong, she did not accept the beating as such and told him point blank that if he did it again, she'd castrate him.

That scene actually didn't bother me at all, precisely because of the way it was handled.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2013, 09:06:40 AM »

YES. I really enjoyed Zooey Deschenel's band (She&Him)'s rendition of it--because in that one, the woman is the one trying to get the man to stay. For some reason that seems a lot less creepy to me.
The first time I heard it, it was Miss Piggy and Rudolf Nureyev. The muppets were quite clear about the creep factor, especially when it involves a lady pig who wants a date...  (It's also hilarious);D

Another rather creepy song would be "Have some Madeira, M'Dear" - it's quite obvious why he's getting her drunk.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:08:37 AM by atirial »

Syfygeek

« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2013, 09:13:25 AM »
There were a lot of things in Glee which really bothered me.  I get that it's all exaggerated and a parody of high school (and being teased in high school), but the Glee kids put up with abuse every day that the administration should have prosecuted - and if the school wasn't willing to do anything about it, the kids should have been able to take charges to the police.  Slushie facials, getting thrown in the dumpsters, getting locked in port-a-potties, getting assaulted in the hallways - I guess what makes me mad is because these kinds of things *do* happen, and schools *do* turn a blind eye when the culprits are popular/important/well-connected enough.  I did eventually watch the first 2 seasons of Glee, but the very first episode I ever saw was the rape scene and it put me off the show for over a year.  I mentioned that to a friend and he didn't remember any rape scene, but it was a major plot point: Coach Sylvester drugs the principal and sets him up so she can take a picture of the two of them in bed together and threatens to send it to his wife.  You then see that she's still in her track suit, i.e. you assume nothing happened, but he doesn't know that.  All he knows is that he woke up after being drugged and found himself in bed with someone he doesn't like, who then photographs him against his will and blackmails him with it.  I know it's not what you'd normally think of as the kind of rape scene a show like this would include, but it just boils my blood that there's no repercussions for the characters whatsoever.  Heck, the whole Quinn being pregnant thing stems from her sleeping with Puck "because I had a few too many wine coolers and because I was feeling fat that day." How is that not date rape?

There's a Buffy/Glee crossover fanfiction where authorities are called on the principal, the teachers are reported and the football team is beaten up by Faith and Buffy for all these reasons.

That sounds great! Could you link to it please?

This one, maybe?
http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-24497/JennyAnn+Doomsday.htm

Ha! Most enjoyable. Thanks :)

That's it!  I had to re-read it again..
That's my purse! I don't know you!

PurpleFrog

« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2013, 09:18:06 AM »
For those who dislike how creepy Edward fro, twilight is, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwM3GvaTRM
It's a remix from Buffy and Twilight, with Buffy respomdimg to Edwards wooing like any sane woman would. It is hilarious!

Genius. Pure genius.
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2013, 10:23:11 AM »
If we're going to get into songs, I nominate the following:

-Sting - Every Breath You Take
I think this one is so notorious I don't need to say any more - except to note that Sting appears to be as horrified as I am by the number of people who use this one as their first dance at their wedding!

*snip*

I always laugh at that because how many times in life do you make vows?  Not many!  And yet the first song you dance to after a wedding says "every vow you break"