Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Meatless Mondays?

(1/2) > >>

MrsCrazyPete:
DH and I would like to start cutting meat out of our diet more. It will start us being healthier and we'll save on our grocery bill. DH isn't super excited at the thought, as we're a very meat-and-potatoes family, but is willing to give it a try. His request was that the food "can't look too healthy", lol, so maybe stuff that is like a soup or casserole?

If anyone has any yummy recipes that they're willing to share, I'd appreciate it!

MariaE:
I've got several. Let me know if any of these strike your fancy and I'll find the links :)

- Thai Soup
- Leek-Potato Soup
- Can't-believe-it's-not-meat pie
- Stir-fry
- Mexican or Jamaica-Style rice and beans
- African Groundnut Stew
- Southwestern Corn Chowder
- Eggplant Pasta

cicero:

--- Quote from: MrsCrazyPete on January 13, 2013, 01:53:26 PM ---DH and I would like to start cutting meat out of our diet more. It will start us being healthier and we'll save on our grocery bill. DH isn't super excited at the thought, as we're a very meat-and-potatoes family, but is willing to give it a try. His request was that the food "can't look too healthy", lol, so maybe stuff that is like a soup or casserole?

If anyone has any yummy recipes that they're willing to share, I'd appreciate it!

--- End quote ---
As a former (and probably future) vegetarian/vegan I usually advise people embarking on this lifestyle change, to stick with (a) dishes you already like and (b) meal style yo are already familiar with.

so --- if you are basically meats-n-potatos people, maybe stick with a meal that resembles a MNP (meat N potato) meal - e.g., some kind of cooked veg, some kind of cooked starch, and a protein, and not a vegan-style "garbanzo stew over quinoa" which is really good but if you aren't used to that kind of meal you will probably end up hungry ...

so you might try to make lentil or nut or mushroom "burgers" with steamed brocolli and whole grain couscous.

(there are some ideas here including two recipes that I've made a million times)

I like a hearty soup as a "main dish" - so you can go with a vegetarian split pea or red lentil soup and serve it with a hearty sour dough bread and a side salad. or a vegan morrocan harira soup (it has vegetables, lentils and garbanzo beans)

my variation on Harira (Moroccan soup)
=============================
1 each (all peeled and finely chopped or grated) :large onion, celery root, parsley root, kholrabi, fennel carrot, 1 kilo of pumpkin, few stalks of celery with leaves (don't worry if you can't get them all).

1 cup hummus, soaked overnight
1 cup brown or black lentils (i don't soak them, but they can soak for 1-2 hours)

1 small can tomato paste
1 bunch corainder, finely chopped

spices: 1/2 tsp tumeric, 1 tsp black pepper, salt

additions: 3 tablespoons flour and/or few handfuls of thin noodles (optional)
2 tsp or more fresh lemon juice

1. gently fry the onoin in olive oil for a few minutes. add remaining vegs, stir for a few minutes then cover the pan and lower flame, let veg cook for about 15 minutes. add remaining ingredients (except additions). add about 6 cups of water (about one inch over the contents of pot). bring to a boil, lower flame, let cook for about 1-1.5 hours.

2. mix flour in about 1/2 cup of water and add to pot. let cook a few more minutes. if desired, add noodles now. and cook a few minutes.

3. add some lemon juice - about 2 tsp.

note: you can add cubed beef or chicken parts at the beginning

SiotehCat:
I'm a vegetarian, so everything I eat is meatless. There are a few things that I eat that my meat eating DS will eat too.

You could make pizza. I put garlic and mushrooms on mine, sometimes I add a little broccoli. Or you could just do straight up cheese.

Pastas are really easy to make meatless. I put spinach and shredded carrots in my spaghetti. You can use any veggies that you like.

I also make "chalupas". Crispy tortilla. Top with refriend pinto beans, cheese, lettuce and tomato. I put avocado on mine. Side of mexican rice.

Pinto beans take me forever to make, but I can eat them for every meal. So I make a big pot and then separate it into individual serving sizes.

camlan:
Cicero and SiotehCat beat me to it. Go for familiar things that are easy to make without meat.

Familiar meals--if you like chili, try meatless chili. If you like spaghetti, try it with a meatless sauce. Same for lots of other pasta dishes.

I've found with some people who are used to seeing meat and potatoes and vegetables on their plates that a casserole doesn't look like enough food. It can have the same ingredients as their favorite meat, potato and vegetable meal, but without those three piles on the plate, it just doesn't look "right" to them. There's only one blob of food on the plate instead of three or four.

So, don't ignore casseroles and soups and stews, but try to have two or three other things to eat with them--salad, bread, rolls, a separate side dish of vegetables. Or serve an appetizer as a first course--veggies with humus dip, followed by meatless lasagne and salad and bread, followed by baked apples. Splitting the meal into "courses" sometimes helps with the psychological factor, too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version