General Etiquette > Family and Children

Children and Table Manners

<< < (2/4) > >>

Iris:
I struggled with this with DD2 - how to teach good manners without every meal turning into a nag fest. We tried a few things; age appropriate stories about manners, playing 'restaurant' occasionally at home, and as she got older simple blanket rules to correct her few remaining bad habits.

Now that she's into the more socially aware years she loves to dress up and go special places, so we rewarded a good, extended stint of improved manners with a trip to a restaurant. We also spoke about a little girl we saw out to dinner with her parents at the *very* nice restaurant that we went to for our wedding anniversary and she decided that that is her new ambition.

doodlemor:
Here is a link to the Mrs.  Piggle Wiggle books, by Betty McDonald.  I absolutely loved them as a child, and read them to my class as an adult.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Piggle-Wiggle

In Mrs.  Piggle Wiggle's Magic a very civilized pig named Lester teaches a boy named Christopher Brown how to improve his table manners in "The Bad Table Manners Cure."

Deetee:
I have a set number of nags before banishing ( 2 minute time out). I find it less frustrating than constant reminding. I also like to pick a couple behaviours to focus on so I will pick "Sit at table until excused" and "ask nicely for all requests" and let non-egregious "playing with food" and "interupting conversations" and "singing to food before eating it" and "eating with cutlery" slide.  Then next time I pick two others.

I let her know what we are working on so it isn't this constant barrage of corrections. And if one of  the ones I didn't focus on was good, I praise it as well. It keeps it manageable for both of us. She really tries to make me happy, so that helps combat the squirimy experimental center of universeness that is a young child.

Though my daughter seems to use her fork less now at 4 than she did when she was two, so I can't comment entirely as to effectiveness. I just hate listening to myself repeat things.

NyaChan:

--- Quote from: doodlemor on January 13, 2013, 11:43:46 PM ---Here is a link to the Mrs.  Piggle Wiggle books, by Betty McDonald.  I absolutely loved them as a child, and read them to my class as an adult.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Piggle-Wiggle

In Mrs.  Piggle Wiggle's Magic a very civilized pig named Lester teaches a boy named Christopher Brown how to improve his table manners in "The Bad Table Manners Cure."

--- End quote ---

LOVE Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle!!  Great stories, though I admit, the ones about picking up the mess in one's room did not stick with me  ;D

yokozbornak:
These are all great ideas!  Thanks so much!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version