General Etiquette > Life...in general

Heat

<< < (2/9) > >>

JamFly:
Given the way Landlady acted when the OP spoke to her son, I wouldn't think she'd take it well if the OP bought a heated blanket or small heater for her room.

Frankly, if I were the OP (and if it's possible financially and time wise) I'd just find another room to rent.

Rohanna:
If you're renting through airbnb, you can complain and have their ability to host revoked as it says under hosting that :

"Climate: Ensure your home is properly ventilated and that temperature control is clearly marked and functional. Ensure guests are clear about how to safely use the heater."

Room temperature is generally defined as lying between 65 and 72, and if they aren't willing to keep it to a reasonable warmth, the company needs to know this.

johelenc1:
I can see how a heater could be objectionable, but an electric blanket shouldn't be a big deal.  I don't know how anyone would even know.

marcel:
There is one question i have after reading your story. Before the complaint, have you at any time, befoe sending the compalints, discussed the temperature with the landlady or her sons?

The whole putting it higher, putting it lower thing seems very PA to me, from both sides. I think you should have discussed the use of the heating with the landlady or her sons, after it had been urned down again two or three times, instead of having a silent thermostat war.

Thermostats are great in family homes, but can be a disaster in boarding houses and other places where several people live in their own rooms, and otherwise mostly independent from eachother. It is important that all people discuss the use of the thermostat in these situations, and find one setting to set and keep it on.

Raintree:
Brrr. I feel your pain. I lived in a basement suite of a family home when I was a student, and it was SO cold!!! I don't know what the temperature was, but I know that it was warmer in their part of the house. I had thick sweaters, blankets, etc., and I tried studying while buried under a duvet and it didn't help. I wore a wool hat inside but I know I'm not warm enough when I find my nose is cold.

During the day, when they (landlords upstairs) were out at work, they turned the heat RIGHT down. I don't blame them as I do the same thing when I am out, but at exam time when there were no classes, I had to study in my suite during the day and it was pure awfulness.

I didn't actually speak to them about it because I didn't have a spine, and I didn't want to be the cause of increasing their heating bill, but in retrospect, if you're going to rent to someone, it has to be a comfortable temperature!!

I think while you had a valid complaint, it's possible that you did come across as a little rude without intending to be, as you admitted you were upset, and you said things like "It's not reasonable..." and mentioning laws, without ever having discussed this with them before. I don't blame you, but it might have come across better as, "I don't know if you're aware but my room is really, really cold. Is there any way we can turn up the heat? The temperature is in the low 50's and I also have Reynaud's Syndrome which affects me X, Y and Z ways..."

Then if they refused to turn the heat up you could increase it to, "It's not reasonable.....state laws stipulate that....the policy of airBnB is....."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version