Author Topic: Heat  (Read 6464 times)

GlassHalfFull

Re: Heat
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »
I can understand why the landlady may have felt a bit peeved if this is the first she's heard from you on the matter, but at least she responded.  On an slight tangent; I keep my home cool (cost and environmental reasons), and on colder days will wear fingerless gloves in the house.   It helps quite a bit!

EMuir

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 11:12:58 AM »
If you don't pay for electricity, I'd get an electric blanket and/or a space heater.   If you do pay for electricity, maybe just the electric blanket.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 11:14:40 AM »
Isn't there laws that landlords must keep heat at a certain temperature?  Or does that vary by state?  I'm not giving out legal advice except that perhaps you can look into that yourself.

eta: I see you already brought up tenant laws and it is not rude.  This is business and they need to run it correctly.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:26:00 AM by rose red »

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 11:55:10 AM »
I've got some experienec renting thru airbnb and you have v ery little recourse.

You need to be painfully direct with your hostess.

Dont be apologetic, tell her that you need the room to be a certain temperature while you are there and she either needs to make it so or give you the remainder of your rent back so you can find another more suitable place to stay.

Remind her that you will be reviewing her listing and you would like it to be favorable but that honestly heat is a big issue and not just with you.

My son lives in LA and I was rather horrified to find that he has no heat.  H solved his problem by geting an electric throw.

I stayed at an airbnb property in Saratoga, CA in October and my room was chilly.  The host provided me with a small electric heater which was greatly appreciated--he was outstanding and I gave him a great review--would stay there again in a heartbeat.

A far as your slippers, her checking your feet for them is kind of an intimidation tactic.  She's trying to be the alpha dog here.

You are paying for a certain service and are not getting it.  You have the right to politely insist on it.

lilfox

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »
If you don't pay for electricity, I'd get an electric blanket and/or a space heater.   If you do pay for electricity, maybe just the electric blanket.

Agree with this - for a short term solution until the landlord is convinced to keep the temp at a reasonable level, an electric blanket or throw is the cheaper option.  At least in my case, when I tried the space heater in my room first to compensate for a poorly heated 100 yr old house, it wreaked havoc on our (shared) electric bill.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 01:58:12 PM »
As an interim step, I think the electric blanket or similar would be a good idea.  Someone posted this in a different thread - it's halfway between a heating pad and electric mattress pad and is less than $20 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunbeam-Comfy-Toes-Foot-Warming-Pad-White/21596956 
It also shouldn't take up too much room, assuming you're trying to acquire as few things as possible while you're interning.

I've also seen the electric Snuggie, but that appears to be about $70.

otterwoman

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »
OP- I feel your pain. I also have Raynauds. If the temp goes below 65 degrees, my fingers go numb. An electric blanket won't help her much when she's awake, unless she only wants to wander within the reach of the electric cord. Heavy sweaters only help a little; once the body heat has left, you need heat to get it back. The landlord needs to keep the temp reasonable.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 02:45:59 PM »
Then: heated gloves, the chemical "hot hands" things, those rice packs you can put in the microwave?

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 02:54:24 PM »
OP, your expectation of a reasonable temperature is not out of line, but you need to speak directly with your landlord/hostess about this, not leave voicemails for her son.

If she doesn't fix the problem, find somewhere else to stay and report through airBnB.
Utah

onyonryngs

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 02:54:37 PM »
I'm not sure why you just didn't ask the landlady to provide you with another blanket and to keep it a little warmer for you.  It's sort of like leaving negative feedback on ebay without contacting the seller to fix the issue.  Same with discussing the thermostat.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:26:00 PM by onyonryngs »

CaptainObvious

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 03:03:12 PM »
There is no way I would buy or use a space heater without discussing it with the landlord. In some areas and structures they are strictly prohibited and I wouldn't take the chance.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 03:06:08 PM »
Or...even better...a little heater:-)

There ya go.  (not crazy about them because of the potential hazard but it beats freezing)  You can get one for about $12 at the dollar stores.

I wouldn't buy something like that at the dollar store.  Not unless I wanted to set myself on fire.  Go to Lowes and get a decent little heater.  About $30.

OP, please do not put a space heater (from any store) in the room without specifically getting permission from the landlord/hostess. Just don't do it. It's a liability.
Utah

sevenday

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 03:07:40 PM »
I would contact the landlord (the one who actually lives there) and ask to sit down with her.  Explain your condition, explain what AirBnB says about the rooms (climate/heat, etc) and express that the room has been entirely too cold for you.  Tell her point blank that you need the temperature to be at least X temperature.  If she cannot or is not willing to do that for you, tell her she needs to refund you (prorate or something) so you can find another place that CAN accommodate your needs.  If she says no, call her sons - there's a bit of ambiguity there.  Do the sons own the property and she's just there to manage it? If so, calling the sons is not out of line, since they're the ones that ultimately would need to refund you and so forth.   Also complain to AirBnB if she refuses.  They may not be able to help you in the interim while you're there, but you can leave appropriate feedback there.   Gloves/heat packs might help your hands in the meantime but I'm not sure what else I can suggest - since you're not a permanent resident there, buying relatively expensive electrical equipment (space heaters, electric blankets) probably isn't feasible.

elephantschild

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »
I'm also with the OP here. That's not a reasonable temperature under any circumstances. Space heaters are dangerous and an expense. Electric blankets only keep you warm while you are under them. This is on the landlords to fix.

I do think she should have said something to the on-site landlord before escalating, but I do understand snapping under the strain. It made me wince to read the OP, and my hands are hurting in sympathy.   :-\
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

thedudeabides

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 04:13:39 PM »
Just talk to the landlord and be straightforward. She probably got defensive because you hadn't told her there was a problem.