Author Topic: Licking a Plate In a Restaurant  (Read 5661 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Licking a Plate In a Restaurant
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:51:41 AM »
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 08:30:26 AM by Venus193 »

msulinski

Re: Licking a Plate In a Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:27:31 AM »
Yeah I can't say I agree with the writer on this. Sure, the woman loved the food and cared about that above all else, including the comfort of the other people in the restaurant.

GoTwins

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:37:33 AM »
 :o
I don't even let my 4-year-old daughter do that at home! I can't imagine seeing an adult doing it in public.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:40:03 AM »
not really what i want to see when I'm dining...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:57:37 AM »
True.  I remember dining at a friend's house once and when her sister licked her plate my friend gave her the Look of Doom and yelled her name as though she were their mother.

I don't do that at home; I don't even double-dip at home.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 09:14:35 AM »
It's a joke at our table to lick our plates to keep others from mooching from it. But in any other context, heck no.

onyonryngs

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 09:27:59 AM »
I don't think this actually happens.  People might sop up sauce with a piece of bread, but I doubt any of us have to worry about witnessing someone lick a plate.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 09:39:03 AM »
We've seen some pretty strange things happen in restaurants but this one takes the cake. 

Or perhaps she should have taken the bread. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 09:48:22 AM »
I've seen really really small children do that at family type restaurants, but I don't want to see an adult do that.  And at a fancy restaurant yet!  :P  That's what bread is for.  And if I see her get rewarded, I would never go back to that restaurant.

Amava

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 11:10:37 AM »
That's disgusting!!  :o

Granted, my sister-in-law does this at her parents' place at a family dinner - I don't like to see it, but I always figured she sort of likes to "regress to her childhood years" when she's with her mom and dad. I'm pretty sure she does /not/ do this in other settings, though!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 11:44:59 AM »
Slate's standards is becoming abysmal.

half_dollars

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »
I actually a friend do that in our house. 

Now, we were poor college kids home for a break.  We had dessert (I don't remember what, but it was some sort of cake/pie/something eaten off a plate with a fork).  She ate the dessert, then licked her plate.  Now, she usually displayed such polite manners, so I was shocked to see this.  I blurted out something (rude), like, "if you're still hungry, there's more.  Help yourself!".  She replied that she wanted to savor every bite since she doesn't usually eat dessert.  I was in total shock!

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 12:35:54 PM »
:o
I don't even let my 4-year-old daughter do that at home! I can't imagine seeing an adult doing it in public.

When my niece and nephew were 5 and 2 they sometimes spent the weekend with me.  I did the plate-licking thing, then they did it, then we all giggled.  Later I was SCOLDED by their parents because they had been doing it at home.  :-[

Minmom3

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 12:57:48 PM »
In MY book - not when you're older than about 4 years old, and NEVER in public...  Grab another piece of bread and get it that way.  Flag a waiter and ask for a piece of bread to sop up your yummy sauce.  For the love of all things grown up and polite, don't lick the blankety blank plate...   ::)   Put it this way - good food is not an invitation to bad manners, right?!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 12:59:38 PM »
Is a person who writes professionally actually suggesting that it is acceptable for an adult to lick a plate in a restaurant? Because the sauce is "expensive"?

Sob.  :'(
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."