News:

• February 17, 2018, 06:00:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Licking a Plate In a Restaurant  (Read 9667 times)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Licking a Plate In a Restaurant
« on: January 14, 2013, 06:51:41 AM »
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:30:26 AM by Venus193 »

msulinski

Re: Licking a Plate In a Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 07:27:31 AM »
Yeah I can't say I agree with the writer on this. Sure, the woman loved the food and cared about that above all else, including the comfort of the other people in the restaurant.

GoTwins

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:37:33 AM »
 :o
I don't even let my 4-year-old daughter do that at home! I can't imagine seeing an adult doing it in public.

cicero

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:40:03 AM »
not really what i want to see when I'm dining...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 07:57:37 AM »
True.  I remember dining at a friend's house once and when her sister licked her plate my friend gave her the Look of Doom and yelled her name as though she were their mother.

I don't do that at home; I don't even double-dip at home.

Zilla

• Cooking
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:14:35 AM »
It's a joke at our table to lick our plates to keep others from mooching from it. But in any other context, heck no.

onyonryngs

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 08:27:59 AM »
I don't think this actually happens.  People might sop up sauce with a piece of bread, but I doubt any of us have to worry about witnessing someone lick a plate.

Thipu1

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:39:03 AM »
We've seen some pretty strange things happen in restaurants but this one takes the cake. 

Or perhaps she should have taken the bread. 

rose red

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 08:48:22 AM »
I've seen really really small children do that at family type restaurants, but I don't want to see an adult do that.  And at a fancy restaurant yet!  :P  That's what bread is for.  And if I see her get rewarded, I would never go back to that restaurant.

Amava

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:10:37 AM »
That's disgusting!!  :o

Granted, my sister-in-law does this at her parents' place at a family dinner - I don't like to see it, but I always figured she sort of likes to "regress to her childhood years" when she's with her mom and dad. I'm pretty sure she does /not/ do this in other settings, though!

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 10:44:59 AM »
Slate's standards is becoming abysmal.

half_dollars

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 10:59:03 AM »
I actually a friend do that in our house. 

Now, we were poor college kids home for a break.  We had dessert (I don't remember what, but it was some sort of cake/pie/something eaten off a plate with a fork).  She ate the dessert, then licked her plate.  Now, she usually displayed such polite manners, so I was shocked to see this.  I blurted out something (rude), like, "if you're still hungry, there's more.  Help yourself!".  She replied that she wanted to savor every bite since she doesn't usually eat dessert.  I was in total shock!

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 11:35:54 AM »
:o
I don't even let my 4-year-old daughter do that at home! I can't imagine seeing an adult doing it in public.

When my niece and nephew were 5 and 2 they sometimes spent the weekend with me.  I did the plate-licking thing, then they did it, then we all giggled.  Later I was SCOLDED by their parents because they had been doing it at home.  :-[

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 11:57:48 AM »
In MY book - not when you're older than about 4 years old, and NEVER in public...  Grab another piece of bread and get it that way.  Flag a waiter and ask for a piece of bread to sop up your yummy sauce.  For the love of all things grown up and polite, don't lick the blankety blank plate...   ::)   Put it this way - good food is not an invitation to bad manners, right?!
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

Twik

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »
Is a person who writes professionally actually suggesting that it is acceptable for an adult to lick a plate in a restaurant? Because the sauce is "expensive"?

Sob.  :'(
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"