Poll

What is your thermostat set at in winter when you are home & awake?

Below 60 degrees F
5 (4.4%)
61-64 degrees F
12 (10.6%)
65-69 degrees F
48 (42.5%)
70-72 degrees F
36 (31.9%)
73-75 degrees F
10 (8.8%)
Higher than 75 degrees F
2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: S/O Thermostat Setting Thread - what is yours at?  (Read 1689 times)

Octavia

S/O Thermostat Setting Thread - what is yours at?
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »
As a spin-off to the thermostat thread in "Life In General," I'm curious to know what setting you keep your thermostats on in winter when you are home & awake. I'll start. I keep mine at 72 deg. F whenever I'm home, awake or asleep. I have an away setting that lets it go down to 64.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Lynnv

Re: S/O Thermostat Setting Thread - what is yours at?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:42:48 PM »
It really depends on the time of day, so no vote from me.  But, overall, we keep the house pretty cool.

60F during the day (even though I am home right now).  I just put on slippers and a robe and deal with it being a tad cool.  And the kitties have fur coats.
65F in the evening, when we are both home and puttering around the house.
57F at night as DH and I both like to sleep in a pretty cool room.

If we have company, we crank it up to 70F because it seems a better temp for more people.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 02:51:14 PM »
Winter, it is at 21C (which is about 70F) when I'm home.  When I'm sleeping or away, I set it 17C (which is about 63F).  I'd set it to 15C but I'd be worried about my kitties being too cold.

Summer, I keep the thermostat at 25C (77F) when I'm away.  Then when the price of power goes down at 5:00 pm, I have the thermostat programmed to lower it to 24C (75F).  Then it lowers again to 23C (73F) at bedtime and one further step down to 22C (72C) at about 1:00 am.  I was finding I was waking up in a sweat at that point so having it kick in again fixed that.  I think it was related to hot flashes.   :P  I would keep it cooler in the summer but I'm too energy conscious so I just strip down to shorts and tees when I get home from work.  It's cool enough when I'm just sitting around.

(Conversion for F to C:  subtract 32 and multiply by 5, divide by 9; conversion for C to F:  multiply by 9, divide by 5 and add 32)

(To get the symbol to show up, on a Windows computer, Alt 248 - it accesses the Ascii code)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »
I would love to set them to 72 but DH would sweat. He'd prefer 68 but I'd freeze. One nice thing about the house we're renting is that they've got separate heat pumps for each level so we compromised on 70 downstairs (I'm home all day, he's not) and 68 upstairs where the bedrooms are. I've got an electric blanket so that works for me.

In the summer we set the air conditioning for 78, if I recall.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 02:57:33 PM »
We're keeping it at 68 right now.  A little chilly, but the heating bill is manageable.  In the Summer, we keep it at 74-78 depending on the time of day.  I like it lower, but again, the bill.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:58:40 PM »
I keep it at 72 in winter when we are home and awake, 65 at night. We have no A/C, so in the summer it is whatever it is.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 03:02:59 PM »
60 in the winter.  If I get too cold I go in the hot tub :-).

We have no central A/C, but do have one wall-mounted A/C in the living room.  We've probably used it a dozen times in the past 14 years.  During the summer all doors/windows and sliders are open and the ceiling fans are running.  It probably stays mid-80s on the hottest days.

Firecat

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:05:26 PM »
We keep ours at 65 during the day and turn it down to 60 at night. I wear sweats or a heavy bathrobe around the house, and we have blankets around if I need an extra layer while I'm watching TV or something. We both like to sleep in a cool room, so turning it down at night saves on the heat bill and we stay comfortable.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 03:10:28 PM »
65 during the winter unless one of the DDs crank it up a bit. They set it at 68 and I can really tell the difference! (It's funny how I notice a 3deg change.) When they turn it up I'll sleep with my window cracked open a bit.

In the summer, I won't turn on the central air until the house is at 78. I think that's because there's usually a nice breeze going through that keeps the air moving.

otterwoman

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 03:11:31 PM »
The thermostat is set to about 67, but we use the furnace as a backup and use the woodstove as the primary. With the woodstove, we keep the house about 71 degrees. Warm enough for me to be able to use my hands.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 03:12:02 PM »
During the winter, it's hard to say. I live in an old apt, and don't pay for heat, so even if you cranked it all the way up, it still stops at a certain point. Which is still too warm for me! And my thermostat only shows numbers, spaced out, without any lines inbetween. If I had to guess, I'd say I keep it in the upper 60's, low 70's, but at night it goes down, and the window is opened. I hate sleeping in warm rooms. I still play musical thermostat since sometimes i'm cold for no reason, turn up the heat, then roasting. i just can't seem to get it at a comfy temp.

in the summer, I have two thru-the-wall A/c units. one in the LR, which has a dial for higher cool, and lower cool. I'd say its somewhere in the upper 60's, as I like it arctic.

the one in my bedroom I put in, and it has a digital read. During the day when I'm not home its at 74, but at night, i crank it down to 66.  But the actual temp never gets taht low, maybe 68 or 69.

My elderly neighbor downstairs used to get on my case about leaving my a/c on all day, until I finally told her a. it actually keeps it cooler so when I get home, sometiems after TWO jobs, it doesn't take all night to cool down, and b. when she starts paying my electricc bill, she can dictate how I do things.  But we have that kind of relationship where I can tell her to quit it, and vice versa.

When I visit my mom, it can be problematic, as she is older, and feels the cold more. I loved her old house as it had dual zone heat and a/c, so I'd crank it up for me, and she could keep it comfy for her. And when she moved, as her house was still under construction, I begged her to have them put wiring for a ceiling fan in the second bedroom (didn't normally come with it) knowing temp would be an issue. SOOOOO glad I did as it really does help.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 03:20:58 PM »
I have a rule in my life - I will not be cold in my own house.

When I visit relatives, I wear extra layers and shiver through my discomfort.  At home, I want to be comfortable while wearing my typical winter outfit of a mock turtleneck, fleece sweatshirt, jeans, socks and shoes.  For this to be possible, the thermostat need to be set between 70 and 72. 

On the other hand, 70-72 in air conditioning is brutally cold for me.  I've never quite understood why.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 03:25:12 PM »
We're keeping it at 60 right now. Part of that is savings, and part is that we're outside so much that we've adjusted. In fact, we intentionally keep it cool to help our bodies adjust. Then again, we do curl up under blankets a lot of the time, but that's a nice thing in my world.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »
We have a heat pump, so we keep it at whatever temp we need to be comfortable.  These days, it's about 70.  Anything less and there's just a little too much nip in the air.  More than 70 and I start feeling stuffy.

CakeBeret

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 04:35:58 PM »
We have a programmable thermostat. At night, and during the day while we're gone, it's set to 62. When we're home, we set it to 68, but I'll turn it up to 70 if I get chilly.

During the summer, we keep it pretty consistently around 70. If we set it higher during the day, it takes too long to cool back down.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."