Poll

What is your thermostat set at in winter when you are home & awake?

Below 60 degrees F
5 (4.4%)
61-64 degrees F
12 (10.6%)
65-69 degrees F
48 (42.5%)
70-72 degrees F
36 (31.9%)
73-75 degrees F
10 (8.8%)
Higher than 75 degrees F
2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: S/O Thermostat Setting Thread - what is yours at?  (Read 1664 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Thermostat Setting Thread - what is yours at?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 06:12:18 PM »
P.S. Outdoor Girl, the ° symbol is alt+shift+8 on a Mac

Thanks!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Bramble

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »
It can be amazing how much a difference insulation and an efficient HVAC system can make.

My thermostat is downstairs, just off a large room with vaulted ceilings.  Since the hot air would float up to the ceiling, in the winter the furnace has to work harder to keep air around the thermostat at the set temperature.  And since there are two air registers in the master bedroom upstairs, trying to keep the downstairs warm made the upstairs stifling.  So I settled for setting the thermostat to 67-68, and it would be slight cool downstairs and not overly warm upstairs.

Last year I had a  local contracting company specializing in energy saving home improvements do a home energy audit.  Turns out the ductwork serving downstairs was leaky, so the furnace was cranking out extra hot air trying to keep the downstairs warm.  So I had them fix that, as well insulate, and as seal all the leaks from the attic and the crawlspace into the house.  Now the upstairs is the same temperature as the downstairs (I've taken a indoor/outdoor thermometer around to check), and I'm going to have to bump up the thermostat setting up a few degrees to be comfortable.  However that will still use less energy than before, and I got a rebate back from the natural gas company for doing the work.  And even though it doesn't get that warm here in the summer, the upstairs rooms stayed cooler in the warm weather too (less heat radiating down from the attic.)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 07:57:33 PM »
66 during the day, sometimes as high as 68 if I'm running cold that day and want it a bit warmer.  We turn it off entirely at night, so it usually drops to something like 52 overnight, depending somewhat on how cold it is out.  Usually we turn it off in the evening a few hours before bedtime, and it's generally 62-64 by the time we go to bed.

In the summer we turn it to maybe about 78 or so.  We try to keep it off entirely and use open (to screen) windows and a window fan, timed a certain way (intake in the morning, etc.), to avoid using the AC at all.  But sometimes you just need it.  :)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 08:19:52 PM »
65F during the day when we're not home, and 70F at night when we are home in the winter.  In the summer, I think it goes to 82F when we're not home, and 78F when we are home.  I get cold very easily, so I like things to stay warm. 

When I visit my parents, I shiver and freeze my way through the visit, as my mom keeps it at 65F during the day and 56F at night!

IslandMama

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04:54 PM »
We don't heat our house.  It got down to around 40 degrees (or around 8 if you're in Celcius like me) but we just threw another couple of blankets on the bed and wore socks in the house... we're all normally barefoot.  The other day it reached around 100 degrees (38) that I know of, probably higher and I know it only dropped a little (down to 90/32) over the 24 hour period... we turned the ceiling fans on in the bedroom and that was it.  We get excellent cross breezes here and we're only a few minutes drive (literally about three or four) to the beach so the sea breeze helps.  :)

Rohanna

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 02:17:30 AM »
Interesting- we learned in world health that "fuel poverty" is defined as the inability to hear a
Living space to 16C- and that living below that temperature can increase respiratory, rheumatological, and cardiovascular disease - particularly in the young and elderly. Apparently it's become a real problem in Britain recently. I am surprised to see people advocating such low temperatures as a choice. I know you could become "used" to it, but I don't know how good it would be for most people long term. In fact, maintaining a proper temperature is required by law if you have children in your house here - I could potentially lose custody if I routinely kept my temperature to 4 C ( barely above freezing!).
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 07:05:40 AM »
My problem is that my feet, hands, and nose don't get warm on their own. Sweatshirts and blankets don't help if it's chilly enough. I grew up in South Dakota and Wisconsin, and I can't stand anything below 70 indoors and 50-60 outdoors while running around. It's like a sick joke. :)

I hate when I go to visit someone else's house and my nose is constantly running because I'm cold.  Like you, I have a hard time getting warm when my face is still cold.  Plus, it can be very difficult to enjoy a dinner when you're wrapped in a blanket.

As I move into perimenopause, I have discovered that hot flashes are much, much worse in the winter.  I go from being too cold, to ridiculously hot, then back to cold covered with a lovely layer of perspiration.  It's much easier in the summer months.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 09:42:15 AM »
As I move into perimenopause, I have discovered that hot flashes are much, much worse in the winter.  I go from being too cold, to ridiculously hot, then back to cold covered with a lovely layer of perspiration.  It's much easier in the summer months.

I had one of those last night.  I awoke, dripping in sweat.  I ended up throwing off the covers except for the sheet until I cooled down.  Then I hauled the blanket up and dozed for a bit then awoke quite chilled and pulled the duvet up and went back to sleep, finally.  And it's not fair to experience hot flashes and cramps at the same time, dang it!   :D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MrTango

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 10:15:07 AM »
If the heat is on, the thermostat is set at 68 degrees (20 C).  If the Air Conditioning is on, the thermostat is set for 72 degrees (22.2 C).

I usually don't turn the heat on until it starts to be consistently 60 degrees (15.5 C) or cooler during the day.  I don't turn the AC on unless it's going to be above 80 degrees (26.7 C) or it's going to be extremely humid.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
I keep it at 73 because that is the coldest I can live comfortably.  If it weren't for the expense, I'd keep it 78 year-round. 

LibraryLady

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 06:23:04 PM »
Even at 73 deg. husband and I both have sock, sweats, longsleeve shirt on and a jacket on.  If watching TV, a blanket is
added to the mix.  We do have a gas fire in the bathroom that I light when taking bath/shower and I keep it on low at
night as I despise cold night time visits to bathroom.

@night and during the day, temperature is at 65; it comes on at 5:30 pm.  I sometimes get home about the time; but usually
a little after 6.  Joe is retired; and he is home all day with Frank the Cat.

Jocelyn

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2013, 01:55:59 PM »
I've got mine at 67 all day, because this thermostat is very difficult to regulate, and I just can't face fiddling with it in the mornings and at bedtime.  ::) Plus, if I turned it down at night, I'd be getting up into a cold house, and showering in a cold house, as I get ready and leave home quickly in the morning, long before the house would warm up again.
In the summer, it's upper 70s.
I firmly believe in seasonal clothing.  ;D

TaurusGirl

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
During the winter, the temperature here hovers around -40 (conveniently the same in Fahrenheit and Celsius!). Add in the wind-chill factor, and it feels like -55C (-67F). So for now we keep the thermostat at 72F. During the less frigid days, it's at 70, and if we're sleeping it goes to 65.
Come summer, we don't have a/c, so it stays the same as outside =D

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2013, 06:32:09 PM »
When we're home and awake we keep the temperature between 70 and 72. At night it goes down to 60. I find that when the heat is on, but I can't warm up, I need to humidify the air. Humidity makes a huge difference in how comfortable to house is.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2013, 06:45:18 PM »
During the winter, the temperature here hovers around -40 (conveniently the same in Fahrenheit and Celsius!). Add in the wind-chill factor, and it feels like -55C (-67F). So for now we keep the thermostat at 72F. During the less frigid days, it's at 70, and if we're sleeping it goes to 65.
Come summer, we don't have a/c, so it stays the same as outside =D

Where do you live??!!!  -40 !!!!!