General Etiquette > Family and Children

when another child hogs the freebies

(1/6) > >>

Drunken Housewife:
Yesterday I found myself unsure about how to politely handle a situation and so did nothing.  As it will most likely come up again, I'd like some input. 

My daughter and I belong to a mother-daughter book club for girls of a certain age & their moms.  It's run by a woman who works at a bookstore (and it's a great way to promote the bookstore & get people in and buying books).  The moms & daughters read a young adult novel each month and discuss it.  The delightful woman who runs it often brings galley prints and lets the girls take them for free (these are paperback editions sent as freebies to reviewers and bookstores in the hopes someone will look at them, like them, and recommend them). 

Yesterday the leader put out about a dozen galleys on the floor at the end, and one particular girl instantly snagged a full six books, stacked them up, put one proprietary hand on them to keep anyone off them, and then kept looking for more.  So by the time my own daughter had even reached the free books, about half of them had been claimed by one person.  In the end, my daughter did end up taking one book, the other girls had 1 or 2 books, and the aggressive book-claiming girl had half the books. 

I was hesitating and came close to saying to her, "Sweetie, leave some for the others!" but I don't know her and don't know her mother (they are newish to the group, and the mother doesn't really participate in the discussion, instead spending time using her smartphone).  It offends me that someone would grab so many and not let the other girls have a fair crack at them.  My own child is very conflict-averse and extremely polite, and I hate seeing good behavior end up with a bad result while bad behavior pays off. 

The other mother did say something in a low tone to her daughter, but it didn't stop the daughter from taking a full half of the books.  I don't know what she said. 

If this happens again, is it appropriate for me to say something?  Or should I say something to the bookstore employee who runs the group?  The reason I hesitate to complain to the leader that is that I fear that if people whine about the free books, then she might stop giving them away (point in case:  my hardware store used to give everyone free light bulbs, but they discontinued that as too many people complained that they didn't like the free light bulbs, they should be different).  If it matters, I've been going to this book club for several years (one child aged out of it and my other aged in).

oopsie:
I don't think there is anything wrong with saying what you suggested.

--- Quote from: Drunken Housewife on January 14, 2013, 05:31:38 PM ---"Sweetie, leave some for the others!"
--- End quote ---

Katana_Geldar:
I don't think there's any problem with casually mentioning this to one of the staff. Something like 'How many books are you giving away? I'm not sure everyone has gotten their fair share.'

Then it's up to them to decide how to act.

kckgirl:
I'd stay out of it, but mention it to the store employee.

Marbles:

--- Quote from: oopsie on January 14, 2013, 05:40:38 PM ---I don't think there is anything wrong with saying what you suggested.

--- Quote from: Drunken Housewife on January 14, 2013, 05:31:38 PM ---"Sweetie, leave some for the others!"
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I'd do that, too. Or, perhaps, "please wait until everyone has one before you take extras."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version