Author Topic: lost n' found wallet/purse  (Read 1029 times)

rain

lost n' found wallet/purse
« on: January 14, 2013, 08:33:37 PM »
This happened 20 some years ago.

I  found a wallet in the middle of the road outside of a small restaurant.  I looked in the wallet for ID, and BF & I discussed checking for the guy in the parklot, or taking it to the nearby police station.

Just then a car comes down the road (BF and I were crossing the road) and when I saw the driver I walked back and stopped his car (not the brightest thing I've ever done) and either asked his name or if he was ____ (name on the driver's licence).  Anyway same name - I told the guy "Here, you dropped your wallet in the road." 
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

otterwoman

Re: lost n' found wallet/purse
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:56:13 PM »
Back in college I found a wallet with money in it. There was a high school ID, from a school 3 hours away. There was also a receipt for my college bookstore in it. I went to the college information desk and asked if the name on the HS ID was a student at the college. Yes, and they gave me his on campus address. I delivered his wallet, intact, to him the next morning. He said, "Thank God!" I said, "You're welcome" and walked away.

A few years later we ended up dating for a while.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 10:37:44 PM »
Was there something that triggered this memory?  I'm just a bit lost on the point?

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:50:47 PM »
Was a passenger in a multi-vehicle caravan to a religious retreat in college, and left my purse at a fast food place.  No need for money or id right away, but I was wearing non-daily contacts and left my glasses and saline in the purse.  Yup, I would up blind as a bat all weekend since I am very very nearsighted.
And the theme of the week?
seeing God.
 :D
When we did the return drive, stopped at the fast food place, and they had held my purse. 
Yeah!!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 09:40:44 AM »
I left my purse on the inter airport train in Atlanta, thankfully before IDs were required to board a flight.  To my utter astonishment, it arrived via Fed Ex the next day, fully intact with the $100 cash still in the wallet with a note from airport security that a man had turned it in and left money for them to send it via next day air to me. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:12:22 AM »
I know someone who met his wife due to him losing his wallet!  she found it, and called him, then brought it to his apt to return it. They started dating, and 20+ years later, are married with 4 kids!

I almost lost my wallet on a cross-country trip with friends. Three of us were dirivng from NJ to AZ, and back again. As I am the planner and "responsible" one, they told me I could hang onto all our pooled funds (for gas and hotels there and back) I had that in a separate wallet, about $500 in cash and traverler's checks. 

We stopped at a gas station in TN, I think, and I went inside to pay, and realized the wallet was NOT in my bag. I got frantic, thinking I had lost it all, and started looking around the van.  Thankfully, it had falled out when I pulled something else out, and was lying there on the ground.  Whew. After that, I MADE them each take 1/3 of what was there, just in case, so we would only be out a portion, not all our funds.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 12:12:09 PM »
One night while I was coming home from work on the train, I happened to notice my purse was unzipped and my wallet was missing.  I know I had it when I got on the train because I used my fare card, put it back in my purse and zipped it up.  I can only assume I was the victim of a very good pickpocket.  It was very crowded so I probably wouldn't have notice any slight jostling.  Since then, I carry my purse right in front of me.

Luckily, we had just gone on vacation and my wallet had been really pared down to my bank card, drivers license and a credit card, so canceling wasn't that hard.  And the only cash was a $5 peso note.

Unluckily, I had just started a new job that day and my SS card was also in my wallet.  So I had to call them up right away and put an alert on it. And I put alerts out with the credit reporting agencies.  But there were never any attempts to use it and I check yearly.

A few weeks later, I got a package in the mail.  It was my wallet minus everything but my DL.  And the $5 peso.   ;D 

Otterpop

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »
One night while I was coming home from work on the train, I happened to notice my purse was unzipped and my wallet was missing.  I know I had it when I got on the train because I used my fare card, put it back in my purse and zipped it up.  I can only assume I was the victim of a very good pickpocket.  It was very crowded so I probably wouldn't have notice any slight jostling.  Since then, I carry my purse right in front of me.

Luckily, we had just gone on vacation and my wallet had been really pared down to my bank card, drivers license and a credit card, so canceling wasn't that hard.  And the only cash was a $5 peso note.

Unluckily, I had just started a new job that day and my SS card was also in my wallet.  So I had to call them up right away and put an alert on it. And I put alerts out with the credit reporting agencies.  But there were never any attempts to use it and I check yearly.

A few weeks later, I got a package in the mail.  It was my wallet minus everything but my DL.  And the $5 peso.   ;D

A semi-considerate thief?   :o

EmmaJ.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 01:05:37 PM »

A semi-considerate thief?   :o

I'm thinking the thief took the money and driver's license and tossed the rest.  A nice person found and returned the remainder.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 01:47:18 PM »
No, s/he helped themselves to my credit and bank cards and social security card.  S/he chucked the rest and I presume someone found it and forwarded it to me based on the DL address.  I'm not sure what the theif thought about the peso note.

Fortunately, I canceled everything the moment I got home and prevent any serious damage.

Speaking of considerate thieves, my car was broken into once.  I don't keep much of value in my car but they did get away with a really nice Swiss Army knife my dad gave to me ( >:() and most of the change in my console.  But they didn't break the window and they left the pennies.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 02:23:19 PM »
Fortunately, I canceled everything the moment I got home and prevent any serious damage.

Were there any attempts at using the cards (I know you said they never used your social)?

Amara

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 02:52:01 PM »
Several years ago I went to Trader Joe's just before dusk. When I came out I put my groceries in the car, then returned the shopping cart to where they were on the side of the entrance. As I did, I noticed a kind of odd dark object in the cart where I was going to shove mine into. A more thorough glance showed me it was a full wallet. It had everything: a lot of cash, plenty of credit cards, personal items, etc.

I thought about taking it home and searching for the woman who had lost it, but since I was there and knew the personnel at TJs are good, I took it inside and handed it with an explanation to one of the managers.

A week later when I returned I checked in with him. He remembered the wallet and incident, and told me the woman had come back shortly after I left, absolutely hysterical with panic. I have no doubt her relief must have been immense, and it made me feel so happy. I know how I would have felt. That is a wonderful memory I still carry with me.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 03:39:59 PM »

Were there any attempts at using the cards (I know you said they never used your social)?

Not that I know of.  I wasn't far from home when I noticed it was gone and started canceling things the minute I got home.  I did ask my CC rep if there had been any activity and she said no.  The other card was just an ATM card, you really couldn't do much without the PIN.  I still had to call the bank because I needed a new one, so they canceled that one anyway.

rain

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »
Was there something that triggered this memory?  I'm just a bit lost on the point?

someone posted on another thread (maybe the SS thread) about a guy finding & purse, returning it to the owner & the owner didn't even say thanks .... as others began telling their stories I thought I'd start a S/O

btw DH lost his wallet a little while back - it contained a few pics that can't be replaced (easily).  His wallet - without cash - was found in a gutter miles away from where he'd lost it.  He gave the the finder a reward.
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Otterpop

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 11:36:52 PM »
This is kind of related:  I recently pulled up to a very busy drive through ATM and the screen read "Would you like another transaction?"  As I'd just pulled up I realized someone must have left their card in the machine and it was ready to spit out wads of cash for the asking.

I pushed the "No" button and it ejected the card.  I was going to conduct my transaction, then go into the bank to turn in the other person's card when a lady came running up to my car all out of breath.  I assured her I cancelled her active session and handed her the card.  She looked VERY grateful (and not the least bit suspicious of me :P ).  Though she might have checked her balance after I left.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:42:46 PM by Otterpop »