Author Topic: "Please don't attend if you're sick"  (Read 7927 times)

Roe

• Super Hero!
Re: "Please don't attend if you're sick"
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 05:15:18 PM »
OP, I understand keeping the date as is but maybe you should speak to your SIL on how she'd like to handle not only the date but the illness factor.  You'd get better advice from her than you can from us.  :)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »
I think Roe is right.  The SIL herself might have a better idea on how she'd like to proceed.  It could be that she's fine with the date (and with the possibility of the guests' and any potential germs).  And she might have a better idea on how she'd like the invitations to read.

zainabzks

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 05:25:29 PM »
When I had my infant children's religious reception, I had my mother be the official baby holder. Everyone could see the babies in her arms. My babies made a quick appearance and then were whisked away to their naps or my mom sat down with them the whole time. If anyone asked me to hold the baby, I would tell them my mom had him/her and the guest was welcome to see the baby.  I was busy serving/ greeting everyone else. I did this at two different times in my life. It worked well.

In small gatherings, I had everyone sanitize their hands just before holding my babies.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
They have preventive meds now?

I don't want to get into medical territory, lest the thread be closed.  But, if you're around people who have had it, you can take a medication that helps either prevent it or at least lessen it if you do get it.

I've had the shot as well.  Hopefully I'm as protected as I can be; I sure don't want what I've seen going around.  It's nasty.

That's good to know!
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 05:49:18 PM »
I think Roe is right.  The SIL herself might have a better idea on how she'd like to proceed.  It could be that she's fine with the date (and with the possibility of the guests' and any potential germs).  And she might have a better idea on how she'd like the invitations to read.

This is a really good idea. 

That being said, I like the wording in your OP, so that would work also.
Winston Churchill

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »
In small gatherings, I had everyone sanitize their hands just before holding my babies.

I remember the first time I encountered a parent who asked me to do this.  I remember that I was confused a bit at first (because I hadn't had it happen before), but then I thought it was a great idea.  Who knows where people's hands have been.  It's such a simple thing to ask someone to do.  It's not saying you can't hold the baby; it's just saying that you'd like the person's hands to be washed first.  And that makes complete sense - flu season or not.

I like your idea on "the official baby holder" too!  Freed you up to be able to do things, grandma got to hold the baby and people didn't have to do a "hey, who has the baby?!" thing.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 06:02:12 PM »

I remember the first time I encountered a parent who asked me to do this.  I remember that I was confused a bit at first (because I hadn't had it happen before), but then I thought it was a great idea.  Who knows where people's hands have been.  It's such a simple thing to ask someone to do.  It's not saying you can't hold the baby; it's just saying that you'd like the person's hands to be washed first.  And that makes complete sense - flu season or not.

I like your idea on "the official baby holder" too!  Freed you up to be able to do things, grandma got to hold the baby and people didn't have to do a "hey, who has the baby?!" thing.

I like the idea of the bolded also.  It's a good idea and it carries the message that no single person or persons are being singled out. 
It's probably a lot less stressful of the baby also.
Winston Churchill

Minmom3

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 10:41:43 PM »
It might not hurt to remind people that the baby just got out of the hospital a very short time ago, so she may already have a stressed immune system.  If you can't alter the date, then I think, in this situation, I would go with a strong warning to everybody about being healthy AND washing hands before holding her.  It's not a customary thing to do or say, but IMO, the safety and health of the baby trumps being passive and not laying down the law.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »

I like the idea of the bolded also.  It's a good idea and it carries the message that no single person or persons are being singled out. 
It's probably a lot less stressful of the baby also.

We did that at my baby shower as my boys showed up in time to attend ;) Only parents/grandparents were allowed to hold the boys & no one complained. If you can split the baby minder role between the grandmas I'm sure they'll be thrilled & it would give your SIL some baby-free time to enjoy the party.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 11:25:50 PM »
We did that at my baby shower as my boys showed up in time to attend

That's a cute way of saying it. I love it! :)

Ciarrai

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
OP, I understand keeping the date as is but maybe you should speak to your SIL on how she'd like to handle not only the date but the illness factor.  You'd get better advice from her than you can from us.  :)

I called her last night to ask what her thoughts were, and she is still set on that date barring any major illness on her or the baby's part. She is fine with putting something about it on the invitation, but as an Emily Post follower herself, didn't want to be rude. So if my original wording is not horribly rude, we will go with it!

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 11:12:11 AM »
I think your wording is fine. Theoretically, it's something you shouldn't even need to say, but I think it's better to let guests know that you won't be mad if they can't come because they are ill.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 11:27:46 AM »
We did that at my baby shower as my boys showed up in time to attend

That's a cute way of saying it. I love it! :)

It was pretty funny to have the baby shower with the baby there. Gave everyone a valuable lesson that if a shower is for for multiple pregnancy, earlier is better.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 12:23:05 PM »
It's common to be asked to use a hand sanitizer at a Meet the Baby party.  And for those that often come sick, I would personally word their invitations with what you have as your title. 

VltGrantham

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 11:07:17 AM »
Either way, I think I would install someone as the "official greeter" and if any guest showed up sick, I'd express concern, but also politely ask them to excuse themselves.