Author Topic: Estate agent: any way to handle poor service? (update post 27)  (Read 6499 times)

azleaneo

Re: Estate agent: any way to handle poor service?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 04:12:22 PM »
At this point, I'd send John an email:

"Dear John,

At this time, I/we have decided to discontinue our home search through your agency.  Please do not contact me/us again with further listings or information.

Regards,
your name(s)"

After that, I'd mark anything from his email address as spam and I'd block his number from my phone or simply stop taking his calls.

I like this, it's simple and to the point. I'm a softy for businesses though, so I would also include an email to the branch manager thanking them for their time, but that John was not working out for x and y reason. If the branch manager doesn't know your side, then he's never going to know just how bad John is being.

If John had been an amazing agent and found a house you wanted, you would be gushing with brand loyalty. "I bought the house through Sherlock's, and sold it and bought another one! It was wonderful!" However, since you've only had issues with John at this point, and you haven't brought it to anyone's attention, you aren't giving them the opportunity to provide the good service that everyone else in the firm has provided to you.

I would alert someone, anyone, that you've had good interactions with at the company and express your disappointment, even if you don't end up using them.

preview edit: OH is Other Half

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 06:11:15 AM »
At this point, I'd send John an email:

"Dear John,

At this time, I/we have decided to discontinue our home search through your agency.  Please do not contact me/us again with further listings or information.

Regards,
your name(s)"

After that, I'd mark anything from his email address as spam and I'd block his number from my phone or simply stop taking his calls.
POD. I was going to say go with C&D but after the update, if there is any customer service number I would contact them directly to let them know the problem. I would be reluctant to send an email about the poor service, as it seems your emails are getting directed to John regardless.

secretrebel

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 08:32:38 AM »
I'm a softy for businesses though, so I would also include an email to the branch manager thanking them for their time, but that John was not working out for x and y reason. If the branch manager doesn't know your side, then he's never going to know just how bad John is being.

I agree but my attempt to contact the new branch manager just got me John again!  ::)

laceandbits

Re: Estate agent: any way to handle poor service? (update post 27)
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 10:31:53 AM »
As you want to at least get the feel of the market before you put your house up for sale, surely you should contact all and every estate agent around you.  Lots of people still opt for a sole-agent contract as the commisions are lower.  So you might easily be missing out on your perfect house by only dealing with Gregory's. 

While looking for the house you want to buy, you'll get a feel for the efficiency of the agents you are dealing with and will be able to make a much better assessment of who you want to sell through.  And you should get a valuation along with commission and terms and conditions details from at least three estate agents anyway, so you can decide whether what the best balance of efficient agent/good t&c you can get, and this won't necessarily be the same estate agent that you eventually buy through.  Why would you ever hope to do the whole deal through just one company.

And personally, I would let Sherlocks know exactly why I am not interested in either buying or selling through them unless or until the can get their act together.  The UK housing market is so slow at the moment why would they want to risk losing potential properties to sell and lose a potential buyer just because one of their employees isn't up to the mark.  I wouldn't try to email it, I would phone, ask to speak to the manager, and just ask him to remove my details for the time being as the contact you have been allocated is not offering you a satisfactory service.  So many calls in one day or weekend is harrassment, and not to contact you at all is neglect; even if there are no suitable properties, he could send a brief fortnightly or monthly e-mail to that effect.