Author Topic: Alaskan Cruise  (Read 1297 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Alaskan Cruise
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 03:14:42 PM »
OP here.   We are looking at HOlland America.  We are all in our late 40's, so we are not old!!!! but also don't party all night anymore either!

My biggest concern now is airfare booking.  The cruise line wants $1100 per person, but I believe I can book separately for $500 per person.  HOwever, I'm going to have to fly in the day before because you apparently can't get from Memphis to Vancouver by a reasonable hour.

Not trying to sway your vote - you have to do what's best for you. But maybe this will help someone else in the future:
My mom actually works for Princess (which is owned by the same company as Holland America) up in Alaska. She ALWAYS recommends booking everything through the company because, as she says, "They take real good care not to lose you."

I second..or third this.

Holland America/Princess is really good about offering published air for right around the same price you can find on your own.  You can even have them fly you in early or have you leave later

Snooks

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 03:32:04 PM »
If you want an all inclusive cruise Crystal is FANTASTIC but expensive.

I feel like an idiot - I had no idea all-inclusive cruises existed!  Crystal sounds AMAZING - I think my husband and I are going to book one of theirs when we go on another cruise (probably in 5 years for our 25th anniversary).  Thanks, PastryGoddess!

Now I feel like an idiot - I thought cruises were pretty much all inclusive anyway.  I'm guessing alcohol/carbonated beverages aren't normally included but isn't everything else covered?

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 03:33:50 PM »
However, one thing to note.  Cruise air are consolidator tickets.  If you have any kind of irregular operations (weather, mechanical breakdown, etc.) you usually cannot be endorsed to another airline.  You're stuck with the airline you're on, and you're dead last in terms of rebooking help.  (Some airlines you can't even rebook over the phone with consolidator tickets.)

They're also not required to hold the ship for you.  Some will, but not all of them.  Cruise air may be cheaper, but there's a reason.

Snooks - specialty coffee isn't included, and most ships have specialty restaurants that aren't included.  Bingo's extra too.  Aside from that, it's all inclusive, and when we go we've never paid for extras.  We always say the cruise line loses money on us.   ;D

Shalamar

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »
I'm by no means an expert (I've only been on two cruises), but for the ones I've been on, drinks have not been included - and they are PRICEY on ships (because you're a captive audience, I guess). 

Girlie

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 03:50:49 PM »
On the cruises I've been on, water, juice, milk, and regular coffee have always been available for no extra charge all day, with carbonated beverages a "free" option at seated mealtimes.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 08:15:11 PM »
If you want an all inclusive cruise Crystal is FANTASTIC but expensive.

I feel like an idiot - I had no idea all-inclusive cruises existed!  Crystal sounds AMAZING - I think my husband and I are going to book one of theirs when we go on another cruise (probably in 5 years for our 25th anniversary).  Thanks, PastryGoddess!

Now I feel like an idiot - I thought cruises were pretty much all inclusive anyway.  I'm guessing alcohol/carbonated beverages aren't normally included but isn't everything else covered?

Non carbonated beverages like water, iced tea, lemonade are included as is fruit juice in the morning.  Coffee and hot tea are usually available, although if you want a specialty coffee drink, you may have to pay for that.

An all inclusive cruise includes all of those things plus beer and wine at lunch and dinner and Regent stocks your mini bar with your preferred brands. The price also includes your shore excursions and gratuities as well.  The only thing extra you have to pay for are spa and salon services.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 09:26:54 AM »
You have to be a bit careful if you book your flights through the cruise line.  They'll get you there but it may by way of Robin Hood's Barn.  On a recent cruise we met a couple who had to take four flights to get from Texas to Rome. 

We were scheduled to fly to London on the day Sandy hit.  Mr. Thipu made our arrangements and we were able to get out on the Saturday before at no extra cost.  Hey, three extra days in London is never a bad thing.

Also, you absolutely must get the port of embarkation at least a day ahead of time.  This gives any lost bags a chance to catch up with you.  You can enjoy the city and board refreshed.  You can also dress for the weather where you are instead of the weather where you live.  We always do this.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »
I agree with all the other posters, however if you are flying from anywhere in the US, I recommend SouthWest airlines flights to Seattle/Tacoma, then taking the train up to Vancouver. It will take some extra time, but the views are worth it!