Author Topic: Bread machine recipes  (Read 752 times)

MOM21SON

Bread machine recipes
« on: January 15, 2013, 05:31:13 PM »
Anybody have any good recipes???  There are tons online.  But what are your favorites?

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
Re: Bread machine recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »
These are the ones DH and I use most often:

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

1 1/8 c warm water (110 degrees F)
1/4 c honey
2 tbsp melted butter
2 c whole wheat flour
1 c bread flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

Add ingredients according to the manufacturer's directions to your bread machine. Set "Dough" cycle.
Put dough in loaf pan, cover, and let rise for 30 minutes.
Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.

Honey Wheat Sandwich Rolls

1 1/4 cups warm milk
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup honey
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press start.
When dough cycle has finished, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out 3/4 inch thick. Cut out rolls with a 3 to 4 inch diameter biscuit cutter. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets; cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.

Pizza/Calzone Dough

1 1/4 c water
3 c bread flour
1 1/2 tbsp white sugar
1 tsp powdered milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp active dry yeast

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place water, flour, sugar, powdered milk, salt, oregano, garlic, and yeast in the pan of the bread machine, in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select Dough cycle. After cycle is completed, allow dough to rise until double (about 30-45 minutes).
Either roll out and add sauce and toppings (pizza) or divide into sections, add sauce and toppings, and fold together (calzones).
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes (for calzones), or until golden brown (less time for pizza). Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes, then serve.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

MOM21SON

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:46:45 PM »
Thank you!  I taste a calzone in my near future!

buvezdevin

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:24:50 PM »
MOM21SON,

I can vouch for Layla Miller's dough recipe, though I have only made pizzas and not yet calzones.

Below is a link to a request I had a while back similar to yours, and the recommendations were both helpful and led to delicious results.  There is a recipe doodlemor posted for rolls which is also really good - and which will keep in the fridge for a couple of days, so I use a half batch for dinner, then a day or two later make cinnamon rolls largely as doodlemor also suggested.

Now I need to decide what bread to make tomorrow...

Best wishes!

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=102091.msg2522323#msg2522323
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 07:31:33 PM »

One important thing to note is that recipes can vary from country to country, in particular the flour.

So you may need to adjust the flour amounts a bit depending on whether the recipe is calibrated for a higher gluten or lower gluten flour than what you have. If your flour has less gluten, you may need a bit more than the recipe calls for, or vice versa. Also be careful of "self rising flour" which is sometimes called for in UK recipes, but is unheard of in North America. Getting that wrong will seriously mess up your bread.

In a similar vein, you can't simply substitute whole wheat flour for white in bread machine recipes, because bread with whole wheat flour takes longer to rise.

With a new recipe, I take a look in about half way through the kneading process, and if the dough is obviously sticky, add a bit more flour to adjust.