Author Topic: Shared Room and Snoring  (Read 9573 times)

Dark Annie

Shared Room and Snoring
« on: January 15, 2013, 05:33:20 PM »
A and B (same gender) are sharing a twin room on a conference or group trip etc.
From the first night, A snores. Loudly. So loud, in fact, that B does not sleep at all. On the third night, B asks the hotel for a private room but the only one available is a suite, which is $xxx a night. As B is suffering from sleep deprivation, he takes the room but asks A to cover some of the cost. A refuses, especially since it's an expensive spa suite.

Questions-
Is B out of line for expecting A to cover the cost of his new room?
If A does cover half the cost, who gets the new suite? Is A entitled to take the spa suite if he chips in?

otterwoman

Re: Shared Room and Snoring
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »
Yes, B is out of line.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:38:04 PM »
B is out of line, but A should have said something first about the snoring.

pearls n purls

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
Earplugs are a lot less expensive than a second room.

MOM21SON

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:42:21 PM »
I disagree, I think A is being a SS.  I am A, I know I snore very loudly sometimes, like drawers open and close loud.  Many times when I was less poor, I would stay awake as to not to disturb B.  I am sure B knows he snores.

I think B should have dicussed it with A before getting a new room.  Maybe A would have paid for the new room for himself.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:43:14 PM »
This is a toughie, because people who snore aren't doing it for fun.  It's not like someone says, "Hey, I think I'll make a lot of noise while I sleep, so that my bunkmate can't sleep!"

And it's even possible that someone doesn't realize they snore to the extent they do.  If they live alone and don't sleep near others on a regular basis, they may not know they do.  And, even if they do know, correcting it isn't as easy as one might think.  Even a CPAP or something like that isn't always the complete answer to the problem.

I think B is out of line.  While I realize he is frustrated, I don't think he is completely in the right.  I'm not sure what the right answer is.  But I'm just not feeling right about what B is doing.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 05:44:11 PM »
Earplugs are a lot less expensive than a second room.

Didn't see your post until after I'd posted.  But you have an excellent point.  Earplugs are a good start/idea.

Promise

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 05:44:21 PM »
This is why I take a sound machine with headphones everywhere I go and in every hotel. It's not only a room mate that can cause noise issues, but banging doors, music, tv from the room next door, etc. My husband snores loudly and I sleep with it every night.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 05:49:12 PM »
earplugs are your friends.  Most phones offer a downloadable white noise program for free.  I find it invaluable when I travel because I have a hard time sleeping in new places and the program helps it to feel like "home"

Rusty

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 05:49:29 PM »
POD earplugs.  B is out of line.  Should have discussed the problem with A before deciding to move. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 06:20:08 PM »
I think both should have  discussed before they left - does either one snore? which gives them the choice to room together or get separate rooms ahead of time, bring earplugs, etc.

I know I do, and have been told I sound like a warthog. Fortunately, many of my friends and family I have occasion to travel with/stay with know this, and they snore too. But I've also been in the situation with new friends, going away, and needed to share a room. I am up front and say hey, I snore, and will also bring earplugs for everyone to use.  It's never been an issue, even when the next day they'll tease me about being so loud. But I think they all know that its nothing that can be controlled.

B was out line in asking or expecting A to pay for the pricier room

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »
B is perfectly welcome to get another room.  But can't expect A to chip in for it.  Especially since A now has to pick up the entire cost of the shared room for the nights A has it to him/herself.  Which I don't think is fair, either.

I know I snore.  I don't know how badly, since the only time someone is in the same room with me is when I'm travelling and I don't sleep as well.  And thus, probably snore more.  I always warn potential roommates that I likely snore.  Because I don't sleep well when I'm travelling because of strange noises, I always sleep with earplugs.  I've found some really comfortable silicone ones.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MOM21SON

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:28:46 PM »
Can I ask what kind of earplugs people are using?  I tried them once and couldn't get them to stay in my ears.  How do you hear your alarm?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »
Can I ask what kind of earplugs people are using?  I tried them once and couldn't get them to stay in my ears.  How do you hear your alarm?

I use conical shaped silicone ones.  They don't irritate my ears in the short term.  The one disadvantage is that I can't hear my alarm.  If I have a roommate, I will ask them to wake me if I don't hear it.  Although, sometimes, one plug will work its way mostly out during the night and I will hear the alarm.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MOM21SON

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »

I use conical shaped silicone ones.  They don't irritate my ears in the short term.  The one disadvantage is that I can't hear my alarm.  If I have a roommate, I will ask them to wake me if I don't hear it.  Although, sometimes, one plug will work its way mostly out during the night and I will hear the alarm.

Thanks, unfortunately, I am very allergic to silicone.