Author Topic: Shared Room and Snoring  (Read 9249 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Shared Room and Snoring
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 06:39:24 PM »
And I'm allergic to latex, hence the silicone.   :)  Maybe you could try a latex variety?

The best ones I ever had were kind of gross to use.  They were made out of a mouldable wax and fit quite snugly and were very comfortable.  The gross part was that eventually, they contained a fair amount of ear wax, too.  I don't even know if they are available anymore - 25ish years ago, now, that I found them.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lilfox

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »
I think B should no longer have to pay half the shared room once B is moved out, but i don't think A is on the hook for sharing the second hotel room cost. that would be awkward: "hey, I'm moving to a new room so I won't pay the rest of my share on this one, and also could you chip in on my new room?"

If for some reason A agreed to pay half, they should a)pool the cost of the two rooms and split that, and b) split up nights for who gets the spa room.

Also, I've tried the moldable wax earplugs - not that comfortable and hard to get or keep a good seal, but when done correctly they did work against a reasonably loud snorer.  And I found them within the last 5 years so they are still available.  Limited number of uses per set, but the container I got came with 5 sets, I think.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:44:37 PM by lilfox »

Alpacas

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 06:41:50 PM »
I don't know what my earplugs are made of, but they feel like a soft foam. I got them from my brother, they're apparently used by our Military.
I survived 5 nights of a noisy HOstel in Dublin with them. ^_~

Maybe this could help, MOM21SON. http://www.macksearplugs.com/details/sleeping-earplugs/safe-sound-ultra-soft-foam-earplugs
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:43:46 PM by Alpacas »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 06:42:04 PM »
I think both should have  discussed before they left - does either one snore? which gives them the choice to room together or get separate rooms ahead of time, bring earplugs, etc.

Siamese, I'm not disagreeing with you; I think you have an excellent point.

However, I think I'd amend your comment to just say that, if you're going to be rooming with someone else, it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and pack earplugs regardless of any discussion ahead of time.  Because some people don't know they snore.  And, as a previous poster mentioned, they may snore a little at home but snore more out of their usual surroundings.

So it might just be a better scenario to assume that you're going to be surrounded by noise (whether that's a snorer, noise from next door or whatever) and go ahead and tuck some earplugs in your luggage.  They're small and easy to pack.  And it would solve a host of problems in such an easy way.

Editing to add:

A should have let me know it might be a problem

A might not have known it would be a problem ahead of time.

MOM21SON

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 06:45:13 PM »
I don't know what my earplugs are made of, but they feel like a soft foam. I got them from my brother, they're apparently used by our Military.
I survived 5 nights of a noisy HOstel in Dublin with them. ^_~

Maybe this could help, MOM21SON. http://www.macksearplugs.com/details/sleeping-earplugs/safe-sound-ultra-soft-foam-earplugs

Thank you.  I need to give something a try.  Our TV hangs on the shared wall with our bedroom and living room and DH likes everything loud!

Alpacas

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »
  Because some people don't know they snore.  And, as a previous poster mentioned, they may snore a little at home but snore more out of their usual surroundings.

I tend to snore when i change location (of a few hundred kilometers) so i warn my friends that i might snore and tell them to just wake me up.
Last time i was at a friends she threw a pillow at me, i woke up, turned over, and went back to sleep without snoring.  ;D

Thank you.  I need to give something a try.  Our TV hangs on the shared wall with our bedroom and living room and DH likes everything loud!

My mother did that too. I bought her headphones that she could wear at nights, and i could finally fall asleep again without hearing every commercial that was on TV

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 06:48:44 PM »
Last time i was at a friends she threw a pillow at me

Friends are so loving! ;D

snowdragon

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 06:54:04 PM »
I travel a *lot* with a lady who snores - and talks in herself. Some of our antics to deal with this are now legend in out circle like me sleeping in the bathroom.  Or out in the car. or once when she was screaming in terror - throwing the pillow, covers and even getting out of the bed and screaming "wake up!" at her. Sometimes ear plugs help, other times not so much. But it makes for good stories and she is a lovely woman, at least when she is awake. :)

B would have adjusted, eventually, and A could have warned him, but I think B was nuts for thinking A should pay.

pearls n purls

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 07:11:49 PM »
If A knew that he/she snores, B should have been told about it before hand.  But B had an extreme response.  B could have tried earplugs, asked A to roll over, tried white noise etc.  It sounds like B didn't even discuss the matter with A before deciding to get another room.   

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »
Ah, the vexed issue of snoring! I posted a question last year, relating to my DF's propensity to snore, and I recall it quickly ran to over 5 pages.

I totally get that B was feeling exhausted and frustrated. But I do think he was unreasonable in expecting A to pay part of the cost of the suite without trying other things first. As PPs have said, B could have tried earplugs, or  white noise machines. I personally think B would have also been ok in waking A up whenever he started snoring (although judging by the comments I received from my own thread on snoring, some people would consider this rude).

That said, if absolutely nothing worked, I think the onus would be on A to find a different room. If A refused to do so, then I think B might have a case for asking A to cover the cost of a new room.

shygirl

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 10:10:34 PM »
Oh boy, I've been in B's place before!

I remember it well because due to a weather emergency (Hurricane Irene), I had to go out of town for work and help with the storm restoration.  I wasn't happy about that because it was the first time I was away from my kid, who had recently turned 1.  But then, I figured that it might mean I could actually get a good night's sleep.  (My kid was the worst sleeper ever.)

Unfortunately, I had to room with somebody from work because there was shortage of hotel rooms.  It was a holiday weekend, and also people who had no power for too long were getting hotel rooms.

I found out the first night that my roomie SNORED.  At first, I tried really hard to ignore her and sleep, but if was futile.  So I wandered around the hotel for a while, went out to my car, and eventually went back to the room hoping that she had stopped.  Not so much, and out of frustration I said "Roomie!" and woke her up by mistake.  She said "what?".  I asked if she knew that she snored really, REALLY loud?  She had no idea!  Apparently, her SO sleeps with a CPAP mask, so he doesn't hear anything.

Anyway, after I woke her up, I actually did manage to go to sleep for a short while.  The next night, we stopped at CVS and I bought earplugs.  We didn't have the option of splitting up because of the shortage of hotel rooms.  The earplugs, coupled with the 2 drinks I had that night, really helped me sleep.

Roomie felt horrible about the first night, but we do joke about it now.

B should have tried to find some other option before moving to another room and asking A to subsidize it.

ETA:  Oops!  Got A and B mixed up.  Thanks DottyG for pointing it out!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:49:41 PM by shygirl »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 10:32:23 PM »
I think both should have  discussed before they left - does either one snore? which gives them the choice to room together or get separate rooms ahead of time, bring earplugs, etc.

Siamese, I'm not disagreeing with you; I think you have an excellent point.

However, I think I'd amend your comment to just say that, if you're going to be rooming with someone else, it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and pack earplugs regardless of any discussion ahead of time.  Because some people don't know they snore.  And, as a previous poster mentioned, they may snore a little at home but snore more out of their usual surroundings.

So it might just be a better scenario to assume that you're going to be surrounded by noise (whether that's a snorer, noise from next door or whatever) and go ahead and tuck some earplugs in your luggage.  They're small and easy to pack.  And it would solve a host of problems in such an easy way.

Editing to add:

A should have let me know it might be a problem

A might not have known it would be a problem ahead of time.

I actually do this, not just for those who might be unfortunate enough to share a room with me, but for me too! I am the queen of preparedness!  My mom snores, but as she uses hearing aids, once they're out, she hears nothing. So I bring them to drown her out!

I also shared a cabin on a cruise with a friend who snores louder than me. Her husband describes it as loud enough to take the paint off the walls! we were ok aside form one night when I informed her the next morning she came thiiiis close to being smothered with a pillow, she was so loud.  But  as she one of my best friends, we just laughed about it, and still do.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 07:40:41 AM »
Did B ever mention A that A snores?  There are options for this - going to sleep first, wearing earplugs, waking the snorer.  If those don't work, then you talk about another room.

B was definitely in the wrong for expecting A to pay for a different room, and should have checked out earplugs as a second option.  The first option would be to mention it to A.

Cami

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 07:54:44 AM »
Did B ever mention A that A snores?  There are options for this - going to sleep first, wearing earplugs, waking the snorer.  If those don't work, then you talk about another room.

B was definitely in the wrong for expecting A to pay for a different room, and should have checked out earplugs as a second option.  The first option would be to mention it to A.

My dh snores occasionally and usually when we travel. I am a light sleeper to begin with. Going to sleep first only means that I get five minutes of sleep before he wakes me up. If I woke  him every time he snored, I'd be up all night waking him up. Those are not viable options.

I have yet to find earplugs that stay in my ears.

I will also add that being kept awake or woken by snoring infuriates me -- it's just this primal response of anger I get about it because we're traveling and we usually can't afford 2 rooms, so I'm now stuck not sleeping and now my next day of vacation will suck because I'm exhausted. The last time I tried to sleep in the car and security found me and woke me up and gave me a heart attack and a stern lecture about "acting like a vagrant and sleeping in a car."  So when woken due to his snoring I have a surge of adrenaline and then I can't get back to sleep even if he were to stop snoring.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:10:46 AM by Cami »

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 08:03:51 AM »
A and B (same gender) are sharing a twin room on a conference or group trip etc.
From the first night, A snores. Loudly. So loud, in fact, that B does not sleep at all. On the third night, B asks the hotel for a private room but the only one available is a suite, which is $xxx a night. As B is suffering from sleep deprivation, he takes the room but asks A to cover some of the cost. A refuses, especially since it's an expensive spa suite.

Questions-
Is B out of line for expecting A to cover the cost of his new room?
If A does cover half the cost, who gets the new suite? Is A entitled to take the spa suite if he chips in?
why couldn't they both move to the suite and have one sleep in the bedroom and one in the living room (assuming it was a bedroom with a door)?

and did A let B know ahead of time that A snores?

This is a toughie - I think neither of them are being SSs but A should have let B know ahead of time about the snoring. *I* snore (not every night but I know that I do sometimes, especially in winter) and for this reason I would never share a room with someone. So I think the A in this story should not have shared a room because A is not being fair to his roommate.

Once it is established that B cannot stay in that room, and it's A's *fault* (yes A is not purposely snoring but it is something that A is doing that is preventng B from sleeping), and I don't think B should pay the entire amount. (again - i don't know if B knew ahead of time. because maybe had B known in advance, then he could have gotten a different roommate or a cheaper room).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools