Author Topic: Shared Room and Snoring  (Read 10067 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Shared Room and Snoring
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2013, 11:18:46 PM »
I think if I help to pay for a room then I get a room key and access to the room as well.

Shoo I think you are saying what the rest of us are saying but in a different way.  If push comes to shove and B cannot sleep in the same room with A, then yes they each have to pay for their own room. However, I think that B should not request money of A to help pay for a separate room. Because in effect A would then be paying for a whole room and a half of a room which is not fair at all. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2013, 11:23:26 PM »
Shoo, I just want to make sure I'm understanding your example correctly. So, in what you've asked above, does this mean that B said something before Day 3? Did he try another option before going to the new room (whether that's earplugs, white noise, whatever for himself or something that might help A not snore as loudly)? Was a compromise attempted first or is B going to the new room solution first?

We have several versions of what's being asked here - from the actual OP's situation to some others that we've created since then that I want to get a complete picture of where you are with this.  (That's a genuine question to clarify for my own understanding - not a snarky question.)

I'm not sure which scenario I'm arguing, to be honest!  :)  In both, I am quite sympathetic to B.  He didnt' sleep the first night.  Apparently, he thought his sheer exhaustion would help him sleep the 2nd night.  When that didn't work, he gave up and got another room.  Folks here are blaming him for not getting a new room sooner, or going out and buying ear plugs, or some such thing.  I don't really see anybody here blaming A, and I just find that bizarre.  A may not be able to do anything about it, but he most certainly is the cause of the problem.  Doesn't he bear any responsibility for what he has put B through?

Apparently I am the only one who thinks so.  Oh, well.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2013, 11:27:44 PM »
Shoo I think you are saying what the rest of us are saying but in a different way

I think so, too.

I'm not sure which scenario I'm arguing, to be honest :)

LOL! I know the feeling!

Apparently I am the only one who thinks so.  Oh, well

You keep saying that, but that's not what I'm seeing in the thread. Most, if not almost all, have said that A isn't completely immune to all this. We're reading this thread in such totally different ways if you're seeing yourself alone in that!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:31:04 PM by DottyG »

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2013, 11:29:01 PM »
I think if I help to pay for a room then I get a room key and access to the room as well.

Shoo I think you are saying what the rest of us are saying but in a different way.  If push comes to shove and B cannot sleep in the same room with A, then yes they each have to pay for their own room. However, I think that B should not request money of A to help pay for a separate room. Because in effect A would then be paying for a whole room and a half of a room which is not fair at all. 

Yes, this is what I am saying too.  Whew!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2013, 11:32:41 PM »
:)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2013, 12:06:44 AM »
I'm curious about what kind of responsibility the snorer should accept.  So far, it looks like the only one to have to do anything different, or incur any kind of additional expense is the person who is being kept awake all night by the snoring.

Does that sound fair to you?  It does not sound fair to me.

POD!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2013, 12:20:42 AM »
Sparks, then I ask you the same (genuine) questions!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2013, 12:45:23 AM »
Shoo, I just want to make sure I'm understanding your example correctly. So, in what you've asked above, does this mean that B said something before Day 3? Did he try another option before going to the new room (whether that's earplugs, white noise, whatever for himself or something that might help A not snore as loudly)? Was a compromise attempted first or is B going to the new room solution first?

We have several versions of what's being asked here - from the actual OP's situation to some others that we've created since then that I want to get a complete picture of where you are with this.  (That's a genuine question to clarify for my own understanding - not a snarky question.)

I'm not sure which scenario I'm arguing, to be honest!  :)  In both, I am quite sympathetic to B.  He didnt' sleep the first night.  Apparently, he thought his sheer exhaustion would help him sleep the 2nd night.  When that didn't work, he gave up and got another room.  Folks here are blaming him for not getting a new room sooner, or going out and buying ear plugs, or some such thing.  I don't really see anybody here blaming A, and I just find that bizarre.  A may not be able to do anything about it, but he most certainly is the cause of the problem.  Doesn't he bear any responsibility for what he has put B through?

No, Shoo.  I am with you on all of this.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2013, 12:46:10 AM »

Yes, this is what I am saying too.  Whew!

Me too.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2013, 01:44:45 AM »
I think what was happening was in the beginning there were lots of people who were blaming A for keeping poor B up all night without holding B responsible for mitigating the problem before getting the separate room. 

Eventually, someone said Hey!, A's snoring is bad, but did B actually say anything or try to work with A to come up with another solution besides shelling out for another room.  Then the thread swung around to defending A and poor B got dogpiled on. 

Then the thread came back to the middle with all of us agreeing on certain points:
  • A's snoring kept B from sleeping for two nights
  • B needs to actually talk to A about the snoring and both of them need to make compromises so that each of them are happy
  • If B absolutely cannot sleep in the same room as A after compromising, then the option of B getting a separate room needs to be discussed
To Dandy Andy's Daddy's Love point
There is a word/phrase for this which I cannot remember now, but I'm going to substitute the word accident instead.

A did not know or think that their snoring was bad enough to keep B awake for 2 nights.  B did not know that A's snoring would be bad enough to keep him/her up all night long.  Neither one are going to be entirely happy with the outcome.  Both of them would have to incur extra costs as the result of B moving out.  Both of them would have to pay for 1 entire room on their own when it is all said and done. 

It was just happenstance(sp) that the only rooms left were more expensive rooms when B decided to move, but that is often what happens at the last minute at hotels.  Also, remember B decided to move without talking to A and finding out if there was a way to reduce or negate A's snoring.  So B made an choice without considering all of the options and the consequences of that uninformed choice was to pay a higher room rate.

Fleur

« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2013, 05:14:35 AM »

While I think that B was out of line to ask A to pay for part of a new room, I think it is totally fair for A to have to pay all the cost of the original room, for the remaining time. I don't agree with the 'breaking contract' argument. Snoring can be terribly disturbing, and I think that is more on A than on B-it is on the snorer to at least try to minimize how much they inconvenience others (not fully talking about the situation in the OP, here, just more hypothetically. For the OP, it sounds as if B mishandled it by not speaking up soon enough and then pursuing a somewhat drastic and highly expensive course of action.) That said, I think that if A had even a slight idea that they snored badly, then they should have warned B or even just declined to share a room. If A knew about the snoring, it seems like kind of a bait and switch.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2013, 06:51:30 AM »
Shoo, I am confused. In one post you say.A caused the problem then in an another you say nobody is blaming A.

geekette

« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2013, 07:25:20 AM »
Is there any reason why they couldn't just try a combination to compromise? B wears earplugs or uses a noisemaker of some sort, A sleeps on their side instead of their back (thereby reducing their volume).

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2013, 08:43:39 AM »

A is indeed responsible for the problem. But the thing about snoring is that the snorer doesn't know they are snoring. It is entirely possible that A has no idea he/she snores.

So while that doesn't let A off scot-free, it does mean that for A, B's action in taking another, expensive room might have come out of the blue.

So while A has bears the responsibility for the problem, I don't see A as carrying any blame.

Now, if A had been alerted to the problem and then refused to even attempt to do anything about it, A would indeed be blamed for it. But A didn't know, and therefore couldn't try medications or different sleeping positions, or offer to get a separate room, or buy B earplugs or any other possible remedy.

I guess it don't think it is fair to blame someone for a problem they don't know they are causing.

Now, if A knew before the trip that he/she snores like a freight train all night, every night, then I'd put the blame squarely on A. We just don't know that detail.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2013, 09:51:41 AM »
Sorry, Shoo.  I don't agree.  A person doesn't choose to snore.  It's not A's fault that he has this problem, and it's embarrassing (not to mention unfair) to be punished for something that can't be controlled.  So, a person should be out the money to cover the full cost of a room because their roommate didn't want to compromise?  What if they're financially strapped, and had to save for the trip and budget carefully?  If that proved to be the case, their trip is now ruined because B has to have his way. 

Maybe I worded that badly, but that's what it sounds like to me, and I'm siding with A on this one.  B chose to move to another room, and if I'm reading right, he chose not to use earplugs or try any other solutions.  It sounds like he put the onus completely on A to fix the situation, and I don't think that's right.

Let me just reiterate that I've spent sleepless nights because the person I was rooming with was a snorer/teeth grinder/sleep-talker.  So, I'm not completely unsympathetic.  I just think that B handled it very badly.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:54:11 AM by CrochetFanatic »