Author Topic: job interview help please!?  (Read 312 times)

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
job interview help please!?
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:13:34 PM »
Ok, so I've been temping since I was made redundant last year. So far ok, the salary isn't great, but it's enough to pay the mortgage and survive.

I had 9 years experience in advertising, mainly in production. Yesterday a MAJOR company asked me would I like to interview for a job. This company used to be a client years ago, and I obviously made a good impression on the boss as he personally requested my CV and sent it onto HR.

I've done a bit of digging and it seems they're no longer advertising the job, but now they've asked for me. Thing is, I have so little confidence in my ability to interview and for  interpreting marketing "lingo". I know I can do the job, it's just trying to bluff my way around the language they use. I'm a plain english kinda gal.

<some time later> ok, so I've talked to DH and am a little calmer now, I'm thinking about how to word my experience in these terms.
But still, any interview advice would be very very welcome!

Thanking you!
Irishkitty
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: job interview help please!?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 07:08:48 PM »
Thing is, I have so little confidence in my ability to interview and for  interpreting marketing "lingo". I know I can do the job, it's just trying to bluff my way around the language they use. I'm a plain english kinda gal.

Bold above is sooooo much what you need to put out of your mind right now.

Bold below is sooooo much what you need to fill your head with:

I had 9 years experience in advertising, mainly in production.

Dress "smart." Wear something that you think looks good on you, something that you're comfortable in . . . you know, your favorite outfit. Something that you can look in the mirror with and say "Yeah, I feel good!" (na-na-na-nat-na! ;))

Load this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzlpTRNIAvc on your iPod and/or whatever lifts your spirit and makes you dance, listen to it while you're getting dressed and on your way to the interview. Feeling good about yourself helps boost your confidence.

Get your portfolio in order. Include several of the pieces that you did for them while they were a client along with things you did for other clients. Also, try to obtain letters of recommendations from your old bosses.

If they use a lingo-term that you're unfamiliar with, don't try to bluff. Don't be afraid to ask for explanation before you answer the question . . . After 9 years on the job I'm betting that you understand a whole lot more than you think you do.

Be proactive. Ask them exactly what they require from you (job description wise.) How much overtime will be required, etc. Ask them if they could show you around the office. Also, don't hesitate to ask about benefits (let the "how much vacation time do I get?" question go.) Asking them questions like this tells them that you're not going to jump just because they said "boo" (even though you might be willing to do so. :-\)

Remember that they came to you (this should be a confidence builder right there), but don't get too cocky about it, be appreciative but not mushy.

"Dance" into that interview because you feel good about it! ;D

Good Luck!