Author Topic: (LONG)The Legendary Thanksgiving Blowout Extravaganza 2006(TM) Plus: TMI warning  (Read 18534 times)

mrkitty

Will someone please pass me a hankie?
*hands her name-twin a hankie*

Also, MrKitty, I suggest that whenever you start doubting yourself under the pressure of your family's ploys to let them mooch off you (financially, emotionally, whatever) you re-read what you wrote. You can empower yourself with it.

Oh, trust me. I printed it out and posted it on the wall next to the desk. It is coming in very handy today...trust me. :)
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
OP This quote spoke to me where I live: "And finding...peace...and, sometimes...even a spot of joy, here and there.".

I have found that peace and occasional joy, and it proves you can move on with your life.

mrkitty

OP This quote spoke to me where I live: "And finding...peace...and, sometimes...even a spot of joy, here and there.".

I have found that peace and occasional joy, and it proves you can move on with your life.

Oh, yes, definitely.  :D I am so glad you have found yours! And I'm starting to find mine....life is getting better every day.  ;D

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
A hot air balloon ride is not cheap!  I would be so ticked if I was the other couples that were not related.  I hope they got a refund.

Other than that, what an bottom.  Your BIL sounds like a real catch!
I can't think what my Dad would have done if he and mom had been in that balloon. They went on one of those tours. Mom was terrified of flying but loved the balloon ride. If someone had pulled that type of stunt she would have been hysterical.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

mrkitty

A hot air balloon ride is not cheap!  I would be so ticked if I was the other couples that were not related.  I hope they got a refund.

Other than that, what an bottom.  Your BIL sounds like a real catch!
I can't think what my Dad would have done if he and mom had been in that balloon. They went on one of those tours. Mom was terrified of flying but loved the balloon ride. If someone had pulled that type of stunt she would have been hysterical.

Oh, I quite imagine that the lawsuits would quite rightly start flying. Or, at least they should, imo. I don't know how BIL didn't get arrested. Doesn't the FAA oversee ALL commercial aviation, including balloons that hire out for passengers?! If mrkitty had been a fellow passenger, she would have fainted from fright herself, and mrmrkitty would probably not have waited for the friendly family board game to knock some sense into BIL.  :o  I, too, am afraid of heights, although I would love to try hot air ballooning. But, I think I would be too frightened to actually try it.

I seriously don't know how BIL is still alive right now. I'm happy he is, of course. I don't wish THAT on anyone. But, still, surprised.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
I'm not afraid of heights but if I'd brought DH or Pirateboy2 along with me (or coaxed and cajoled is more like it) they would be really bothered and would be telling me "NEVER AGAIN!" 

When we went up a lighthouse, both DH and Pirateboy2 wouldn't go out on the balcony that encircled the top as heights make them a bit nervous.  They were okay with going up to where the light is but didn't want to go out where they could more easily see just how high up they are.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
MrKitty, that was a truly spectacular read.  I kind of want to see a YouTube of that.  I'm glad it lead to epihanies and understandings, because all learning experiences should.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
I'm still curious about the "very special cutting board". How special does it have to be to be involved in its own custody battle?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

mrkitty

Good question. I'm still not entirely clear about that myself, but I'll do my best to explain - if I can.

SIS's ex was not a professional chef, but he WAS a gourmand and an excellent cook. The times I visited he made fabulous gourmet meals (the only annoying thing was that he was food police, too, so he portioned out VERY limited amounts and would take away your bowl/plate before you finished because he wanted to ensure that as a guest you don't eat too much, because if you're bigger than a size 0 you're way too fat and surely you will die from obesity. That went over REALLY well. Anyway.)

So every now and then SIS and/or her ex would acquire very expensive kitchen equipment. I believe the cutting board was purchased by SIS, but it may or may not have been a gift. In any case, once the divorce got ugly, they disputed ownership of EVERYTHING. They both stayed in the house during the divorce even though he was already living with his new fiance. One morning, SIS came into the kitchen while her soon-to-be-former adult stepson was using the cutting board to chop something for an omelet. (He was attending school at a cooking academy to become a professional chef at the time but still roomed at home.) Enraged, SIS told him to stop using HER cutting board and give it back. She physically tried to take it from him. They struggled over it, and his elbow was nicked by the cutting board during the struggle. Because it was bruised and there was a teeny-tiny (according to SIS) little cut, that was enough to qualify as an injury. So ex called the police and she was arrested and charged with domestic violence and spent the night in jail. Probably because the last time the police showed up (during the divorce they each called police on several occasions during arguments) they said the next time they had to come out SOMEONE would be leaving in the back of the car. So....she did. I guess because there was an actual physical injury resulting from a dispute it was enough to arrest her.  And then she was required to do several hours of anger management.

I guess everything is fine now though. Years later, she purchased her former stepson's engagement ring for his fiance as a "gift." So, they're good. Even though they don't talk to her anymore and she wrote the ring off as a gift even though it was supposed to be a loan, which the guy never repaid. I guess people DO learn after a while.

But yeah, that was the saga of the cutting board.

***mrkitty apologizes for any typographical errors. The keyboard is sticking and while I tried to catch everything, I might have missed some, too.***
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:20:14 PM by mrkitty »

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
...    she purchased her former stepson's engagement ring for his fiance as a "gift." So, they're good. Even though they don't talk to her anymore and she wrote the ring off as a gift even though it was supposed to be a loan, which the guy never repaid.  ...

LOL!  What a tender and meaningful story behind the engagement ring for the stepson's bride to tell. 
"Well, actually my husband's stepmother -- yeah the one he got sent to jail -- actually bought my engagement ring for me.  Hubs was supposed to pay her back for it, but he never did.  Tee he.  This ring just means so much to me.  Brings back such lovely memories." 

She must feel so proud!   :P

mrkitty

...    she purchased her former stepson's engagement ring for his fiance as a "gift." So, they're good. Even though they don't talk to her anymore and she wrote the ring off as a gift even though it was supposed to be a loan, which the guy never repaid.  ...

LOL!  What a tender and meaningful story behind the engagement ring for the stepson's bride to tell. 
"Well, actually my husband's stepmother -- yeah the one he got sent to jail -- actually bought my engagement ring for me.  Hubs was supposed to pay her back for it, but he never did.  Tee he.  This ring just means so much to me.  Brings back such lovely memories." 

She must feel so proud!   :P

My sentiments exactly. Gramma Dishes, you explained my thoughts so much better than I could.

Lovely people, these.  ::)

I'd like to say SIS is well rid of them and better off now...but, well, you know. Maybe people DON'T ever learn.... :o

Amava

Enraged, SIS told him to stop using HER cutting board and give it back. She physically tried to take it from him. They struggled over it, and his elbow was nicked by the cutting board during the struggle. Because it was bruised and there was a teeny-tiny (according to SIS) little cut, that was enough to qualify as an injury. So ex called the police and she was arrested and charged with domestic violence and spent the night in jail. Probably because the last time the police showed up (during the divorce they each called police on several occasions during arguments) they said the next time they had to come out SOMEONE would be leaving in the back of the car. So....she did. I guess because there was an actual physical injury resulting from a dispute it was enough to arrest her.  And then she was required to do several hours of anger management.
I don't believe a word of her story that she was sent to jail over "a little cut".
I bet she had whacked him over the skull repeatedly with said cutting board, and then ran her mouth to the police officers or something. Or at least either of those two.
Knowing what you already wrote about her earlier, I bet it was the latter.
Maybe she tried to hit on the officers, like she did with the server in the winetastery.  :-X Toss in some swearing, maybe some threats...
Yeah, I bet it was her behaviour toward the police that landed her in jail that night, and not that little cut.

mrkitty

Enraged, SIS told him to stop using HER cutting board and give it back. She physically tried to take it from him. They struggled over it, and his elbow was nicked by the cutting board during the struggle. Because it was bruised and there was a teeny-tiny (according to SIS) little cut, that was enough to qualify as an injury. So ex called the police and she was arrested and charged with domestic violence and spent the night in jail. Probably because the last time the police showed up (during the divorce they each called police on several occasions during arguments) they said the next time they had to come out SOMEONE would be leaving in the back of the car. So....she did. I guess because there was an actual physical injury resulting from a dispute it was enough to arrest her.  And then she was required to do several hours of anger management.
I don't believe a word of her story that she was sent to jail over "a little cut".
I bet she had whacked him over the skull repeatedly with said cutting board, and then ran her mouth to the police officers or something. Or at least either of those two.
Knowing what you already wrote about her earlier, I bet it was the latter.
Maybe she tried to hit on the officers, like she did with the server in the winetastery.  :-X Toss in some swearing, maybe some threats...
Yeah, I bet it was her behaviour toward the police that landed her in jail that night, and not that little cut.

Ha! You know, knowing what I know about her, and her patterns, I've gotta say I'd believe your version, Amava. It  wouldn't surprise me in the least if you turned out to be spot-on correct.

I would definitely believe the part about flirting with police, or playing the victim, or both. Heck, at our Dad's funeral she threw herself at on of my brothers' friends about six feet away from the man's eight month pregnant wife, for goodness' sakes.

{shakes head} Stay Klassy, Sis.  :P

postalslave

okkkkk.... I know I'm late to the party on this one but mrkitty your story was EPIC.

Seriously, your stories are the most entertaining on this board. Thanks :)

bloo

Holy cow. Just stumbled on this thread. Amazing writing and I laughed 'til I cried.

I'm going to be extra nice to my family. I've got so much to be grateful for.

I know it's late, but thanks so much for sharing, mrkitty!