Author Topic: (LONG)The Legendary Thanksgiving Blowout Extravaganza 2006(TM) Plus: TMI warning  (Read 18379 times)

snowdragon

you just made my family look civilized. that's hard to do.

furrcats

Best thread ever

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
I'm speechless.  Without words, even.  <slow clap>
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

magicdomino

you just made my family look civilized. that's hard to do.

Same here.  At least we would never fight over a cutting board.  Granted, that's because all of us use cheap carp, but still.  As far as I know, we've never had a physical fight at the dinner table. A lot of snarking and sulking, but no punches.   :D

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
I'm surprised it didn't stop when you threw BIL out of the air balloon.

What do you mean that didn't happen?  It should have!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
I agree with Piratelvr.  This is horrible and hostile behavior and something to be concerned about.

Moving a 10-year-old's chair until she falls on her tuchas despite the directive not to?  I would have tossed him out the door before it got to that.

Yep. You're exactly right. I think most people (with better sense) would have. (I do not mean to imply that that part was funny, because to me it wasn't.)
My husband was permanently disabled when the janitor who was vacuuming his office moved his chair and did not return it.  DH's lower back hit the chair lip at the same time as his tailbone hit the chair wheel.  Now he has SI joint dysfunction.  At the time, DH was embarrassed and tried to laugh it off.  He doesn't think it's funny anymore.  :P
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Hurricane Marathon

I just started reading and got as far as "Scrabble tournament". 

Scrabble tournament?

I've been off ehell for a few years but I know what you guys are referring to when you say Scrabble. A tournament?

Peppergirl

I agree with all the other posters.  Wonderful story, yet appalling.  Huge hugs to you for making peace with the madness of your childhood.  Very inspiring.

I do have to know - is SIS still married to BIL?  Are they still badly behaved? 

mrkitty

I agree with all the other posters.  Wonderful story, yet appalling.  Huge hugs to you for making peace with the madness of your childhood.  Very inspiring.

I do have to know - is SIS still married to BIL?  Are they still badly behaved?

Thank you so much! Yes, as far as I know, SIS is still married to BIL, though we no longer speak to each other. Are they still badly behaved? Well, I assume nothing has changed much, though I don't really want to find out. :)
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
 I remember being enthralled the first time this was posted. 

It's sure to become a E-Hell 'Holiday Classic'.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
I'm sure Caolyn Hax would love it for her Hootenanny of Holiday Horrors, too.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
Agreed!

I also wanted to say to mrkitty that your post about the effect Ehell has had on you really resonated with me as I could really relate to a lot of it, including the impact television had on my perceptions of reality, my Special Snowflake moments (I have embarrassingly had many) and the great anxiety I felt in my youth trying to FIX everything and make EVERYBODY happy. I'm glad to say that Ehell, age/experience/wisdom, and some really good anti-anxiety meds have helped me with a new perspective, and I appreciated your deep and powerful insight. So thank you for posting that!

(And for posting this story! Glad to hear your nieces are doing very well. :-) )
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

mrkitty

Agreed!

I also wanted to say to mrkitty that your post about the effect Ehell has had on you really resonated with me as I could really relate to a lot of it, including the impact television had on my perceptions of reality, my Special Snowflake moments (I have embarrassingly had many) and the great anxiety I felt in my youth trying to FIX everything and make EVERYBODY happy. I'm glad to say that Ehell, age/experience/wisdom, and some really good anti-anxiety meds have helped me with a new perspective, and I appreciated your deep and powerful insight. So thank you for posting that!

(And for posting this story! Glad to hear your nieces are doing very well. :-) )

Awwww...thanks. That's very kind of you.  :)
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

padua

i just have to say that the lemon zest and toothpaste as used in cooking made complete sense to me. thankfully i'm learning what those things actually mean, but there could have been a time where household items made its way into my cooking. not that severe, but in the days before the internet, i'm afraid i made a few substitutions that may not have been edible.

good thing i only had myself to feed at the time.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
I just started reading and got as far as "Scrabble tournament". 

Scrabble tournament?

I've been off ehell for a few years but I know what you guys are referring to when you say Scrabble. A tournament?

We're quite competitive here at Etiquette Hell. The sign-up sheet was filled!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."