Author Topic: Favorite scenes from movies  (Read 1082 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Favorite scenes from movies
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 02:08:15 PM »
I've got a million of these, but a few that jump out when I'm called on to name them.

In the remake of "The Parent Trap", the scenes when each of the girls reveal their true identities (Hallie to her mother, Annie to Chessie) are both movie-makers.

In "Blade Runner", Roy Batty's death is downright moving.

In "LotR: The Two Towers", the scenes involving the defenders of Helm's Deep preparing for the battle, culminating in Theoden donning his armor, is one of the best build-up scenes I've seen in any movie.  "How did it come to this?"

In "The Shining", the part when Jack finally snaps is surprisingly frightening.

In "The Breakfast Club", the scene when the group is sitting on the library balcony discussing their various offenses encapsulates the entire point of the film.

In "Saving Private Ryan", the Normandy invasion was so much more horrifying because I knew it was so realistic.  In the same vein, the initial battle scenes in "Enemy At The Gates" were gut-wrenching for exactly the same reason.

In the original "The Karate Kid", the scene in which Daniel confronts Mr. Miyagi about all the work he's made him do, only for Mr. Miyagi to demonstrate that he's been preparing him all along made a good story into a great story.

In "Jurassic Park", the moment when John Hammond reveals the true nature of the park always gives me a huge sense of wonder.

Virg

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »
Have to agree with Steel Magnolias, followed by Clairee telling M'lynn to "Hit Ouiser" then "You just missed your chance, half o' Chincopin parish would give their eyeteeth to take a whack at Ouiser!" LOL!

I also love Fried Green Tomatoes.  Hard to pick a favorite moment since I love the whole movie, but the part where Idgie tells Ruth the story of the geese for the last time always gets me.  And when Mrs. Threadgoode reveals who really killed Frank Bennet. "Secret's in the sauce, or so I'm told!" then they visit Ruth's grave to find there's a fresh jar of honey there from the "bee charmer." :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 02:29:44 PM »
I love the (mostly silent) scene in How to Train Your Dragon where Hiccup realizes the extent of his injuries, with Toothless watching. It's amazing that the animators could convey so much emotion solely through facial expressions and body language.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »
Ah yes that movie!  I love when he's giving Astrid a ride  "What are you doing? We need her to like us! And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile!" Then the ride as Toothless decides to behave and they fly around and even see the Aurora Borealis. :)

Thinking of another movie Jay Baruchel's in, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, when he asks the girl into the cage and uses his tesla coils to play the song that aired during her radio show the night before. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lowspark

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 02:51:02 PM »
I've got a million of them but since I just watched this movie (again for the umpteenth time) a couple of days ago and replayed these two scenes a few times each, I'll name them.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

Inglourious Basterds
1. In the movie theatre when Landa makes Raine repeat "Gorlomi" multiple times. I just love how Brad Pitt says it in that thick Tennessee accent but also just the byplay between the two of them.
2. Toward the end when Raine shoots Landa's driver and Landa says "What have you done?! You'll be shot!" And Raine says, "Nah. I'll get chewed out. I been chewed out before." Again, the way Pitt plays the character and the interaction with Christoph Waltz's Landa - perfect.

lowspark

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 02:35:55 PM »
Just about any scene in Dr. Strangelove but I especially love the telephone conversation between President Muffley and Premier Kissoff. And one of the best lines in the movie: "You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"