Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Gluten Free Side Dishes

(1/3) > >>

RobinJ:
We are hosting a family over for dinner one evening in early February and the wife has to eat Gluten Free.  We are getting a Honey Baked Ham (she confirmed that's fine) and now I would like some suggestions for dishes that go with the ham.  I am trying to plan this out in advance so that I can test out the side dishes prior to them coming over.
So far, I have:

Honey Baked Ham
Broccoli Salad

Flourless Chocolate Cake for dessert

Thanks for any help!

cicero:

--- Quote from: RobinJ on January 16, 2013, 10:31:13 AM ---We are hosting a family over for dinner one evening in early February and the wife has to eat Gluten Free.  We are getting a Honey Baked Ham (she confirmed that's fine) and now I would like some suggestions for dishes that go with the ham.  I am trying to plan this out in advance so that I can test out the side dishes prior to them coming over.
So far, I have:

Honey Baked Ham
Broccoli Salad

Flourless Chocolate Cake for dessert

Thanks for any help!

--- End quote ---
check with your guest that these are ok but try:
*anything rice - wild rice pilaf for example.
*quinoa - again, can be made like rice pilaf with either a sweet (dried fruit) or savory (onions, mushroom, garlic) orientation.
*mashed potatoes (if you make gravy, use potato starch for thickener)
*roast vegetables - I like to roast different color peppers, fennel, red onion, eggplant slices, mushroom etc , brushed with olive oil/lemon juice and sprinkled with herbs and kosher salt, then set them on the serving dish in neat rows - pretty! you can add slices of roast potatoes and sweet potatoes for a more startchy dish.
*corn

CakeBeret:
I would do a cheesy cauliflower gratin (substitute cornstarch for the flour and skip the breadcrumbs), some roasted veggies as cicero mentioned, and maybe a potato dish.

Outdoor Girl:
Scalloped potaotes would be fine, as long as you replaced any flour called for with corn starch.  They are a traditional thing to have with ham.

A nice green salad, no croutons, would be good, too.

I like to do baked fries.  Cut potatoes into fry shapes, toss in a bag with various seasonings and a little oil, maybe some parmesan cheese and bake at 450F for 30 minutes.  I like to use the Pampered Chef bar pan so I don't have to turn them but if you use a regular cookie sheet you just need to turn them at the halfway point.

I like maple glazed carrots with ham, too.  If I have parsnips, I'll cook them separately - they get overdone if you cook them with the carrots - and mix them in with the carrots with the maple glaze.  Any boiled, steamed, roasted veggies work fine, as long as any seasonings you add are gluten free.

cicero:
wanted to add: make sure to check labels on seasonings - *they* sneak gluten products in places where you might not expect it. I discovered just a few years ago, for example, that soy sauce is made from some kind of fermented wheat. I don't usually use packaged seasonings but i know that some of them include some kind of starch that could be wheat based so it's important to check.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version