Author Topic: Gluten Free Side Dishes  (Read 1632 times)

RobinJ

Gluten Free Side Dishes
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »
We are hosting a family over for dinner one evening in early February and the wife has to eat Gluten Free.  We are getting a Honey Baked Ham (she confirmed that's fine) and now I would like some suggestions for dishes that go with the ham.  I am trying to plan this out in advance so that I can test out the side dishes prior to them coming over.
So far, I have:

Honey Baked Ham
Broccoli Salad

Flourless Chocolate Cake for dessert

Thanks for any help!

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Gluten Free Side Dishes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:49:44 AM »
We are hosting a family over for dinner one evening in early February and the wife has to eat Gluten Free.  We are getting a Honey Baked Ham (she confirmed that's fine) and now I would like some suggestions for dishes that go with the ham.  I am trying to plan this out in advance so that I can test out the side dishes prior to them coming over.
So far, I have:

Honey Baked Ham
Broccoli Salad

Flourless Chocolate Cake for dessert

Thanks for any help!
check with your guest that these are ok but try:
*anything rice - wild rice pilaf for example.
*quinoa - again, can be made like rice pilaf with either a sweet (dried fruit) or savory (onions, mushroom, garlic) orientation.
*mashed potatoes (if you make gravy, use potato starch for thickener)
*roast vegetables - I like to roast different color peppers, fennel, red onion, eggplant slices, mushroom etc , brushed with olive oil/lemon juice and sprinkled with herbs and kosher salt, then set them on the serving dish in neat rows - pretty! you can add slices of roast potatoes and sweet potatoes for a more startchy dish.
*corn

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CakeBeret

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:55:39 AM »
I would do a cheesy cauliflower gratin (substitute cornstarch for the flour and skip the breadcrumbs), some roasted veggies as cicero mentioned, and maybe a potato dish.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
Scalloped potaotes would be fine, as long as you replaced any flour called for with corn starch.  They are a traditional thing to have with ham.

A nice green salad, no croutons, would be good, too.

I like to do baked fries.  Cut potatoes into fry shapes, toss in a bag with various seasonings and a little oil, maybe some parmesan cheese and bake at 450°F for 30 minutes.  I like to use the Pampered Chef bar pan so I don't have to turn them but if you use a regular cookie sheet you just need to turn them at the halfway point.

I like maple glazed carrots with ham, too.  If I have parsnips, I'll cook them separately - they get overdone if you cook them with the carrots - and mix them in with the carrots with the maple glaze.  Any boiled, steamed, roasted veggies work fine, as long as any seasonings you add are gluten free.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 03:44:58 AM »
wanted to add: make sure to check labels on seasonings - *they* sneak gluten products in places where you might not expect it. I discovered just a few years ago, for example, that soy sauce is made from some kind of fermented wheat. I don't usually use packaged seasonings but i know that some of them include some kind of starch that could be wheat based so it's important to check.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CakeBeret

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:00:49 AM »
wanted to add: make sure to check labels on seasonings - *they* sneak gluten products in places where you might not expect it. I discovered just a few years ago, for example, that soy sauce is made from some kind of fermented wheat. I don't usually use packaged seasonings but i know that some of them include some kind of starch that could be wheat based so it's important to check.

Great point. And a lot of mixes (ranch dressing, french onion soup, etc) have sneaky gluten as well.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:56:59 AM »
Also, if you're using any stock/broth, check the ingredients on those, too. Gluten is very sneaky!

Another idea is green beans amandine (frequently misspelled as "almondine" if you're googling for recipes).
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 11:36:17 AM »
I love cauliflower au gratin.

I also really like corn casserole with Ham.  This is a favorite gluten free version.  You can elliminate the green chiles and instead substitue a jar of pimentos if you don't want to go with a "Mexican" version.  Just make sure to use plain cornmeal and not a corn bread mix which might have flour or other gluten product in it. 
Mexican Corn Casserole
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 (15¼ oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14¾ oz) can cream style corn
1½ cups cornmeal
1¼ cups sour cream
1 cup butter, melted
1 (7 oz) can chopped green chilies
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 325°F.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix well. 
Transfer mixture to a greased 9" X 13" pan.  Bake, uncovered for 1 hour.  Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

doodlemor

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »
Here is a recipe for potatoes au gratin which is gluten free.  It goes very well with ham.  Onions can be used if you can't find or don't like leeks.

Potato Leek Gratin

4 cups half and half
2 large leeks, cleaned and sliced thinly [white parts]
3 lbs.  russet potatoes - about 6 - sliced thinly
salt - about 1 teas.
pepper - about 7 "grinds"
2 garlic cloves - minced/chopped
1/4 teas [big pinch] nutmeg

Combine in a large, heavy pot.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.  Stir frequently.  Pour half of mixture into buttered 9 x 13 pan.  Put about 6 oz or so of sliced deli Swiss cheese on top.  Pour the rest of the mixture in, and add another layer of cheese.  Dot with about 2 oz of butter on top of the cheese.  When you start baking the liquid should be just under the top layer of potatoes.  Add a little more half and half, if needed.

Bake at 375 degrees for about an hour or so, until the middle is tender and the top is browned.  Don't cover, and don't overcook.  Check this after 45 minutes.  You can add more half and half or milk if it seems dry.

I think that this could probably be made ahead and refrigerated before the baking, but I've never done that.  My husband would be very disappointed if I didn't cook it immediately.

Your menu sounds quite delicious, and so do the recipes submitted by PP.  If you have very many rich side dishes I think that something simple would also be appreciated, like buttered carrots with dill and parsley.  Something with tomatoes [canned if you're also having winter] would look pretty on your table, too.

If you don't already have the flourless chocolate cake recipe, and want one, let me know.  I've got a recipe for one called la bete noire that is easy to do, and makes a 10 "  cake.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 08:03:01 PM »

Veggies are great for gluten free side dishes, particularly if you cook them simply. Stick with simple toppings - cheese (not pre-grated, because pre grated cheese can have gluten in its non stick coating), oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, herbs and spices.

I'd try to avoid packaged processed foods, because as others have said, gluten shows up everywhere, and often under weird names - soy contains gluten, pre grated cheese often does, even chicken stock often contains gluten.

A garden salad is always good, if you make your own vinaigrette.

Blanch trimmed green beans for a few minutes. Dress with olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper, serve warm or at room temperature.

Roasted cauliflower with cumin, or tossed with freshly grated parmesan.

Roasted asparagus spears with olive oil, salt and pepper, shaved parmesan and red pepper flakes.

Sautee corn kernels in a bit of olive oil until they start to brown. Add a handful chopped chives, a bit of crushed garlic, and powdered cumin, and cook for a few more minutes. Turn of the heat and season with salt and lime juice.

Roasted corn salsa - roast the corn in a pan as above, until lightly browned. Cool, toss with chopped cilantro, finely chopped onion, salt and lime juice.

Baked squash wedges with butter, salt and pepper.

Slowly roast halved tomatoes along with the ham.

sweetonsno

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 08:50:29 PM »
When my family had ham, scalloped potatoes were always on the menu as well. (Cheesy or not, it makes no difference.)

We'd also usually have something green (peas or green beans), a salad, and occasionally cranberry sauce or some sort of pickle/chutney. You could also try spoon bread. As PPs have said, gluten is sneaky, so if you can find a brand that is processed in a dedicated gluten-free facility, it would probably be appreciated.