Author Topic: "I'm Sorry, but" is Not Really an Apology  (Read 7819 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: "I'm Sorry, but" is Not Really an Apology
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
Example:  A discussion about movies………..someone says “I’m sorry, but I don’t think Brad Pitt is a good actor.”  Well, that’s fine; You have your opinions.  But the “I’m sorry” isn’t necessary’ it doesn’t even make sense.  Just say “I don’t think Brad Pitt is a good actor.”

I'm sorry, but it means "I'm sorry to disagree with you, although we normally are of one accord".

;)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

onyonryngs

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »
You called him already frustrated and you already know that sometimes he uses jokes/sarcasm unsuccessfully to diffuse a situation.  It's not a matter of who was right or wrong - it's a relationship issue.  You were stressed - he tried to make a joke and it fell flat.  This doesn't make him the bad guy in the situation, but I understand the need to vent. 

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
Example:  A discussion about movies………..someone says “I’m sorry, but I don’t think Brad Pitt is a good actor.”  Well, that’s fine; You have your opinions.  But the “I’m sorry” isn’t necessary’ it doesn’t even make sense.  Just say “I don’t think Brad Pitt is a good actor.”

I'm sorry, but it means "I'm sorry to disagree with you, although we normally are of one accord". ;)

No, actually in this example and others I could cite the "I'm sorry, but" often comes before anyone has expressed an opinion.  In the Brad Pitt example, the person was the first to speak, and I never said what I thought about the movie or his acting.  For all they knew maybe I detest Brad Pitt, so the "I'm sorry" is presumptuous and pointless.

And, I don't feel it's necessary to apologize for disagreeing with someone - especially when the discussion is about something so innocuous as a movie/actor's talent.  As far as normally being in accord, that's not trur either because I had just met the person and haven't seen the person since.

While I realize your assertion might apply in some cases, it's not always applicable.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:56:14 PM by oceanus »

BeagleMommy

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 04:13:13 PM »
Bopper, I have lows very rarely.  DH usually only has to do the testing for me when this happens.  The original device has still not reappeared, but I bought a new one the day the original vanished so I'm not doing without.

DH and I are working through his use of humor to diffuse situations.  If I'm angry/upset with other people it usually helps.  When I'm angry/upset with him it usually falls flat.  He just hasn't learned the difference.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 05:25:37 PM »
Let him know that instead of defusing the situation - attempts at humor LIGHT your fuse and clip it shorter, as well.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 09:32:38 AM »
Bopper, I have lows very rarely.  DH usually only has to do the testing for me when this happens.  The original device has still not reappeared, but I bought a new one the day the original vanished so I'm not doing without.

DH and I are working through his use of humor to diffuse situations.  If I'm angry/upset with other people it usually helps.  When I'm angry/upset with him it usually falls flat.  He just hasn't learned the difference.

My DH thinks he is funny too.   If he actually is funny I make sure to laugh and say "good one".  Otherwise he gets the look.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 09:35:16 AM »
“I’m sorry, but” is definitely not an apology.

People toss out “I’m sorry, but” needlessly. 

I think the "I'm sorry" is a phrase that is used to soften the sentence.
Like the different between "Come here" and "Would you come here please?"
Same thing but one is a command and one is a request.
So in this case it is the difference between coming across as You Are Wrong versus I Have a Different Opinion.

RooRoo

• I’m out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 01:35:32 PM »
Yes. In the example that Oceanus is using, "I'm sorry" is a polite fiction. I think that it is done as a short way of saying, "Let's not get into a fight about this difference of opinion; let's keep it at the level of discussion."

That way, the response could be something like, "Oh. Did you see him in 'Legends of the Fall?' I thought he did a good job. I almost found the character of Tristan Ludlow believable, and that's quite an accomplishment!"

- Instead of "What a maroon!"* Which could lead to fisticuffs.  ;D

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Kh7nLplWo
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late