Author Topic: Help!!! THE board is logging me as another person. How>? whY?  (Read 3863 times)

snowdragon

Help!!! THE board is logging me as another person. How>? whY?
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »
Somehow the board logged me as waterwren in the deaf culture thread....I am not waterwren and I want no trouble with her ( although I have never seen her before) and would like to get this straightened out before I get banned for posting as her/stealing passwords/ whatever.  Can someone straighten this out?

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Re: Help!!! THE board is logging me as another person. How>? whY?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »
Somehow the board logged me as waterwren in the deaf culture thread....I am not waterwren and I want no trouble with her ( although I have never seen her before) and would like to get this straightened out before I get banned for posting as her/stealing passwords/ whatever.  Can someone straighten this out?
Who is waterwren and why would you get banned?

TamJamB

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:52:17 PM »
I don't blame you for wanting to get this straightened out. Waterwren was kind of a crazy gal - I'm not surprised you don't want to be confused with her.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »
I looked her up, she shows active today. 

sourwolf

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »
I'm confused.  In this thread you are saying you have never seen the other poster but in the other thread you said:

Why is the board logging me as Waterwren, I am snowdragon...there is something seriously wrong here.  I've read many of Waterwren's posts and I am not her, nor do I share her attitudes about oh. so many things.

How would you know that you don't share her attitudes if you have never seen her?

snowdragon

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:54:16 PM »
Who is waterwren and why would you get banned?

Waterwren was/is apparently another poster. that much I know. But many boards will ban folks for things like posting under someone else's account, ect. Normally you can't post on many boards with out a password so presumably if you are posting under another name you are either a dual account ( a no-no on many boards) or have stolen a password.
  I have done neither, have never met anyone on this board - but do post from several public networks  ( school, and the public libraries being the two biggest.)
 I am really weirded out that this happened.

snowdragon

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:55:10 PM »
I'm confused.  In this thread you are saying you have never seen the other poster but in the other thread you said:

Why is the board logging me as Waterwren, I am snowdragon...there is something seriously wrong here.  I've read many of Waterwren's posts and I am not her, nor do I share her attitudes about oh. so many things.

How would you know that you don't share her attitudes if you have never seen her?

because I have never met her, and never even seen her online.  I can read her with out "seeing" her, if you know what I mean

sourwolf

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »

because I have never met her, and never even seen her online.  I can read her with out "seeing" her, if you know what I mean

No, I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.  I mean none of us are actually "seeing" each other (unless there's some cool threads I'm missing out on!) Anyway though, good luck getting this all straightened out!

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »

For whatever it's worth, snowdragon, in my thread you are only "snowdragon". I don't see any posts from waterwren in that thread.

gorplady

• “Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat”
    • PerfectDuluthDay
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 03:05:38 PM »
POD to Zilla. Honestly, if there's just a forum glitch, you shouldn't have to worry. I'm sure this has happened before and it all gets straightened out and nobody gets banned.

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 03:08:10 PM »
I think it's just a forum glitch. I can't see anywhere in that thread where waterwren posted (And, in fact, can't find a user name "waterwren" at all.) I'll do some more investigating.
Utah

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 03:12:32 PM »
I think it's just a forum glitch. I can't see anywhere in that thread where waterwren posted (And, in fact, can't find a user name "waterwren" at all.) I'll do some more investigating.

Weird. I remember waterwren. Her profile is still here, but she hasn't been active since 2008.

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2467

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 03:13:54 PM »
Okay, this is weirder and weirder. I found waterwren, but she was banned a long time ago. She was last active in 2008, in fact. I've never seen a glitch like this before. Even if you did log in as her, it wouldn't have let you post as her, because she's banned. When I look at the thread in question, I don't see any posts by waterwren, just snowdragon, and when Dotty quoted "Waterwren", the quote showed up (for me) as not being attributed to anyone. I had to scroll up and find that it says SnowDragon made the original quote.

So, very very strange. But I'm going to go with "Forum Glitch" or "Gremlin"
Utah

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 03:19:03 PM »
Look at Reply #37 in the Deaf thread.  Follow the waterwren link in that quote tree.  What are y'all getting there?  That's going to snow's post for me.

I'm not able to actually quote on the computer to make it show the person that said it - I have to just copy and paste what I'm referring to.  It's one of those fun things that happened back in one of the forum updates.  I can quote on my phone, but not the computer.

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 03:21:09 PM »
Dotty, when I look at your quote tree, it doesn't have a link to follow to WaterWren's quote. In fact, I can't see anywhere in the thread where waterwren posted at all (which couldn't happen anyway, because she's banned.) So. That's just weird.
Utah