Author Topic: Help!!! THE board is logging me as another person. How>? whY?  (Read 3792 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Redwing

Re: Help!!! THE board is logging me as another person. How>? whY?
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 03:23:08 PM »
It is weird.  I remember seeing a post from Waterwren today and thinking to myself, wow, she hasn't posted in ages!

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 03:23:20 PM »
Okay, this is weirder and weirder. I found waterwren, but she was banned a long time ago. She was last active in 2008, in fact. I've never seen a glitch like this before. Even if you did log in as her, it wouldn't have let you post as her, because she's banned. When I look at the thread in question, I don't see any posts by waterwren, just snowdragon, and when Dotty quoted "Waterwren", the quote showed up (for me) as not being attributed to anyone. I had to scroll up and find that it says SnowDragon made the original quote.

So, very very strange. But I'm going to go with "Forum Glitch" or "Gremlin"
Yeah I looked her up since snowdragon was so alarmed about being mistaken for her.  It showed last active today but now it shows 2008.  Curiouser and curiouser. 

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »
MrsJWine, ah, now I see it. But when I follow that quote, it takes me to snowdragon's post. Huh
Utah

Sock Puppet

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 06:00:16 PM »
MrsJWine, ah, now I see it. But when I follow that quote, it takes me to snowdragon's post. Huh

I've seen that happen if a poster has chaged their name. Any post that is quoted will show the name they had at the time it was quoted. If they change their name, the left column will show their new name, but the quoted post will keep the old name.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 06:03:44 PM »

I've seen that happen if a poster has chaged their name. Any post that is quoted will show the name they had at the time it was quoted. If they change their name, the left column will show their new name, but the quoted post will keep the old name.

Yep, that's happened to me before. I've never seen it happen in any other instance, though.
Utah

snowdragon

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 06:15:10 PM »

Yep, that's happened to me before. I've never seen it happen in any other instance, though.

except I have never changed my name.  Weird.  I did a virus scan and came up with one threat. I am unsure if that could do this. :(

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 07:11:50 PM »
It looks like a temporary glitch, which is now resolved.  Probably an IP conflict.

Weird, as you say.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 10:16:28 AM »
Is it possible that you bought a used computer that belonged to waterwren at one point?

Or were posting using the same ISP and that registered as "waterwren" due to some arcane computer thing?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »
Is it possible that you bought a used computer that belonged to waterwren at one point?

Or were posting using the same ISP and that registered as "waterwren" due to some arcane computer thing?

Pretty sure they'd have to be using the same connection for that to happen.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »

Pretty sure they'd have to be using the same connection for that to happen.

Depends on if the ISP has a really major meltdown - but she'd just about have to be living very close to where waterwren used to live....or have bought waterwren's used computer?  Otherwise - "major computer glitch somewhere" is all that comes to mind. 

Or she got a used cable modem from her ISP or eBay? 

Nah - "major computer glitch somewhere" - could even be on the servers hosting Etiquette Hell.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 05:05:05 PM »
The ISPs are different for both of them.
Utah

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 05:15:51 PM »
There goes my theory that Snowdragon lives next door to a rogue Waterwren who's 'borrowing' her interwebz
;)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 07:00:03 PM »
Ooooo....maybe they're both really zombies and are switching bodies every other week or something!

Snow, confirm you're really a live person and not doing something nefarious out there.

:)