General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Any way to find out if my niece is serious?

(1/11) > >>

gingerzing:
My young adult niece (about 22) has be a FB friend for quite a while with me. 
I wonder if there is a good way to find out if a recent post that she had up is her joking around. 
Without getting too into the particulars it is a conspiracy thing tying two separate incidents together with photos of the same person at both places. 

Mostly I want know if it is a joke or if she believes this sillyness.  (she normally doesn't tend toward fringe stuff like this) 

I am not sure that a post directly on her wall would be a good idea.  I am thinking if I do call her out on it, that I would rather send a PM about it. 
The other thought I had was to send her a link of picture I saw with the six actresses that all look alike (one is Katy Perry and the other is Zoey Deschanel, the others I am not sure that I have heard of)

Or is this just a case of hiding it and ignoring it? 

Shoo:
You want to send her a message indicating you think something she might believe is "sillyness?"

That's not likely to go over well.  What do you hope to accomplish?

Twik:

--- Quote from: Shoo on January 16, 2013, 04:04:07 PM ---You want to send her a message indicating you think something she might believe is "sillyness?"

That's not likely to go over well.  What do you hope to accomplish?

--- End quote ---

Probably the same thing people want to do when they send Snopes links.

amylouky:
I guess I'm wondering why it matters.. if it's something that could harm her or someone else, like a post saying that drinking bleach will cure acne, then yeah I'd say something. But otherwise? I don't see anything to be gained by asking her if she really believes what she is posting, and you run the risk of offending her.
If you really just have to know, maybe you can tell by the comments she posts/receives?

ladymaureen:
If it's what I'm thinking of, it's highly offensive and distressing, involving a government conspiracy, a high-profile incident, and a picture that appears to show the same person before and after the incident. Even if it's not what I'm thinking of, it's probably something else that makes the OP wonder "what the ...."

I really don't think there's a way to ask a grown person if he or she is serious. Just let it roll off and ignore it. I  know, harder to do than say, but I think that's the path of etiquette.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version