Author Topic: Ultimate Guide to Worldwide Etiquette  (Read 1334 times)

Sign Of The Times

• Padawan
Ultimate Guide to Worldwide Etiquette
« on: January 16, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
Hi so, I'm new and I have read the rules, but I'm not sure whether / where new contributors are supposed to introduce themselves. So I'm Sign! Have lurked here off and on for the past few days.

Swissotel (a chain of resorts and hotels internationally) has released an Ultimate Guide to Worldwide Etiquette. This is an interactive guide to various etiquette customs throughout the world. ("World" being wherever the chain has a presence; sorry Canada.)

My own spot-inspection suggests this is a fine guide. I know for a fact that you never show people the bottoms of your shoes in Russia. (I'm American.) Other customs seem to be okay.
The best way out is always through. -- Frost

Silversurfer

Re: Ultimate Guide to Worldwide Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 12:11:38 AM »
Hello!

I found that link really interesting! Though not sure if it is correct that the 'thumbs up' is an obscene gesture in my home country of Australia! Unless you are doing it sarcastically that is!

Sign Of The Times

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:44:49 AM »
G'day, Silver!

Yes, that one does seem odd. I mainly appreciate the tipping guidelines.
The best way out is always through. -- Frost

faithlessone

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »
Checked out the UK section.

I'm a bit confused by the "Mash peas with a fork" tip - I don't know anyone who does that!!

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:08:39 PM »
Under Cuba, how would you 'point with lips'?

katycoo

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 12:44:58 AM »
My first concern for Australia is that it should be under Oceania, no Oceana.  Not a good start.  Site generally full of typos.

Thumbs up is not obscene.

Inverted Victory isn't really much of a thing.  Understood to be rude but rarely utilised.  Not sure why 'rude', but middle finger designated as 'obscene'?  I'd say on par with one another.

NOT common to bring own beer to restarurant.  Wine in common in some venues, beer very unusual everywhere.  Either way dependent on venue licence.  Should advice that a corkage is almost always applicable.

I'm full = utensils on plate.  Should note utensils face up.

Also - bar tipping, alsmot everything in the USA section applies to Australia also. unsure why that detail not included.  Except knife down.  Aust/NZ/UK don't do that.  We're using that knife.  But then we don't swap hands to use fork.

UK almost entirely applicable too.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:48:15 AM by katycoo »

nyarlathotep

• My other blade is Vorpal
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 08:49:06 AM »
Checked out the UK section.

I'm a bit confused by the "Mash peas with a fork" tip - I don't know anyone who does that!!

Ditto. It's more of an upper-class thing, I think.

I do agree with most of the other advice though. Especially the "personal space" bit.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 12:23:01 PM »
Under Cuba, how would you 'point with lips'?

I'm visuallizing extreme duckface....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."