Author Topic: Removing the "heat"  (Read 1734 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Removing the "heat"
« on: January 26, 2013, 07:12:54 PM »
I made a big batch of Spanish rice today for a few of DD#2's lunches next week. I got a bit heavy handed on the cayenne. I luves the heat, but DD#2? not so much.

Is there anything that I can do to remove the heat? or make the rice less spicy?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Removing the "heat"
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 08:48:30 PM »
Take out a portion of the spicy rice and replace with non spiced rice.  Maybe a 2 to 1 ratio of spicy to non spicy rice.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:38:36 AM »
if you don't mind losing the spices altogether, try rinsing the rice and then re-spicing with a less liberal hand.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »
Take out a portion of the spicy rice and replace with non spiced rice.  Maybe a 2 to 1 ratio of spicy to non spicy rice.

This is a good idea . . . kinda spread the heat around.

Thanks! ;D

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »

This is a good idea . . . kinda spread the heat around.

Thanks! ;D

I do it on a regular basis for my family.  They don't seem to understand that hotter IS better :)

NyaChan

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »
if you don't mind losing the spices altogether, try rinsing the rice and then re-spicing with a less liberal hand.

Can you really do that?  Won't it ruin the rice?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 12:53:31 AM »
Add more plain rice to it. 

You could also make it more of a rice casserole by adding some melted / softened cream cheese to it. 

JeseC

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 11:26:19 AM »
Mix up a plain yogurt sauce.  It's pretty easy - mix plain yogurt, milk, and any desired seasonings until you get a thick liquid.  If you have any sweet spices that would go, use them.  Mix it with the rice.  Make sure to use regular yogurt, not low-fat!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »

Can you really do that?  Won't it ruin the rice?
I've done it. it doesn't always work but if my choices are "trash" or "try to save" then i tried to save. I rinsed and re-spiced.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 12:50:11 PM »
You can also try stirring in a little sugar and a generous amount of lime juice, or top it with sour cream. Another option is to cut up a potato and stir the slices in; remove them after it sits overnight.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 07:27:28 PM »
Scared, now . . .  ;D

I just showed DD#2 all of your responses (we don't have any more rice, haven't been to the store) She got a gleam in her eye and said "I know what I'm going to do!" Then she ran off to the kitchen.

I think it has something to do with the cream cheese and a rinsing . . .

I'll let you know what she did!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 08:33:31 PM »
WOW! That was fast and turned out delicious with a less spicy rice! ;D

I stayed out of the kitchen, so what DD#2 told me that she did was:

Put a couple of tablespoons of cream cheese in a fry-pan. Let it melt for a bit then she added the rice. Stirred the rice with the cream cheese, added some lime and sugar, let it cook for a bit, then mixed in the (prepared) beef.

She served the mixture on tortillas lightly spreaded with cream cheese.

I asked her why she used cream cheese instead of sour cream. She said (duh, Mom! ;D) Cream cheese is thicker than sour cream. It's like butter and holds up better when cooking.

Can I just say that I'm so proud of DD#2?

She used several of your suggestions (sugar, cream cheese, lime, and mixing the beef with the rice (instead of adding more rice) to spread the heat) to make a wonderful meal . . . and there are leftovers for her to bring to school this week.

THANK YOU! ;D