Author Topic: Question about childrens school projects.  (Read 3845 times)

lowspark

Re: Question about childrens school projects.
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2013, 09:03:09 AM »
I would agree that at  12ish a parent shouldn't be writing things out. Maybe being there to consult on spacing but he can print, use the computet, etc. And habing taught that age - the teacher knows what his handwriting looks like so a title in somebody else's writing, while pretty, is not impressive.

Oh, I'm sure the teacher could tell that DS didn't write  the title and I  don't expect her to be impressed.

I don't expect it to matter much though, since all of the actual science stuff was done by DS. He will be able to explain everything thoroughly, so that will show that he knows his stuff.

I also don't see much of a difference between a computer printing out the title and me writing it.

For me the difference is that the student has to work it all out himself. He has to figure out how big to make the type, he has to cut out the paper and figure out how to center it, etc. I know that all sounds like such minor stuff and what does that have to do with learning science (or whatever subject the project is for)? To me, it's not so much about learning that specific subject. It's more about learning how to get things done. It involves working out minor but important issues, budgeting time, planning ahead, thinking things through, etc. It's a different skill set than that of planning the larger aspects of the project but important nevertheless.

I may not be expressing this well, but I'll conclude with this. There is nothing quite as satisfying as being able to say, "I did this entire project all by myself from beginning to end with absolutely no help and I'm proud of it." It's a complete sense of accomplishment that can't be gained any way except by doing  the whole project himself.