Author Topic: Snow shovelling conundrum  (Read 2864 times)

Syrse

Snow shovelling conundrum
« on: January 17, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »
Snow is here!  ;D

We usually don't get snow over where I live, and when we do, it's usually not a whole lot. This winter however, seems to be different.
I live in an apartment block, above an apothecary. There are 6 parking spaces in front of the building. The four in front of the shop are for customers, the leftover two are for the people in the building. There are five of us. Once in a while we park in front of the shop, and it's really no trouble, as long as we leave enough space.
Now snow is here, and the lady in charge of the shop shoveled the 4 spaces for the customers, and naturally didn't do our end.
So here's my question: who should? Personally I wouldn't mind going down there and clean them up, but I really don't feel like doing that work and finding out another neighbor took the spot. I realize I have no claim on the spot, we all have a garage at the back (but with this snow and no shoveling it's not quite easy to get there without damage), the two spots are just there to make things easier. Now that I have a baby to haul around, I find those two spots very handy  ;D

Legally it is stated that the owner of the ground floor apartment should shovel. But he's old, and he never parks there.

I'm halfway tempted to shovel the spots, hang up a paper on the door stating I did so, and suggesting we might take turns if the snow keeps up like this. DH however foresees that nobody will pitch in, and that our upstairs neighbors will happily park BOTH of their cars in the two freshly shoveled spots  ::)

Any thoughts?

I could always leave it as is for now, the snow isn't that bad that you can't park there.

BarensMom

Re: Snow shovelling conundrum
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »
If you are on good terms with the neighbor(s), you could ask them to split the work - they shovel one spot, you the other.  Otherwise, if the snow isn't that bad, just leave it be for now.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 01:02:55 PM »
If you have another place to park, I wouldn't shovel the spots.  Murphy's law says you will never get to use the spots you worked so hard to clear out.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 01:09:46 PM »
I vote to talk to the neighbors.  If they are unwilling to pitch in, or just park in the spot that you shoveled, then you know not to shovel.  But, you may be surpised at how neighborly they may be.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
A good way to approach them about sharing but also claim "dibs" on a spot you shoveled might be to offer them a choice.

"Hi neighbor. I'm going to shovel one of the parking spots out front and thought you might like one, too. I was thinking we could take turns, each of us shoveling both spots and sharing them, but if you'd rather not I can just do one for myself. What do you think?"

This way they know 1) if they notice a shoveled spot you've done it and you intend to use it and 2) they've got the option of having you shovel a spot for them, too, if they reciprocate. There's the chance that they'll decline to help and take your spot anyway but I'd give them a chance first. Cross that bridge if it pops up.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 01:33:11 PM »
I like JenJay's suggestion.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 01:51:52 PM »
I think you said there are 5 separate apartments but only 2 spots. I think I'd go with your first suggestion of putting a sign up on the door saying you've shoveled a spot and plan to use it since you did the work but if others want to take turns shoveling you'll understand and obviously take turns with the parking.  I might even put up a little sign in front of the one I shoveled saying this spot shoveled by X and leave it up till the snow melts in the other spots.

I'd leave the other one unshoveled so that they can't claim "oh, I thought the township shoveled them both out."

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 01:58:52 PM »
I think you said there are 5 separate apartments but only 2 spots. I think I'd go with your first suggestion of putting a sign up on the door saying you've shoveled a spot and plan to use it since you did the work but if others want to take turns shoveling you'll understand and obviously take turns with the parking.  I might even put up a little sign in front of the one I shoveled saying this spot shoveled by X and leave it up till the snow melts in the other spots.

I'd leave the other one unshoveled so that they can't claim "oh, I thought the township shoveled them both out."

I took the OP to mean there are 5 tenants in 3 apartments - OP and DH in one, Neighbor Wife and Neighbor Husband in a 2nd, and an older man who never uses either parking space in the 3rd.

OP, if I'm mistaken, my suggestion won't work and I'd go with Hmmmm's. Heck if there are 5 units it seems like the property owner should be maintaining the actual designated parking area in the back so you all can access it more safely!  :-\

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 02:07:27 PM »
As a New Yorker I''ve many times shoveled a street spot to have it parked in later by someone else. It's a public spot, even if you talk to your neighbors, in a snow situation some random customer of another shop might park there. I think if it's 6 inches or less of snow, your best best is investing in a good pair of boots and parking over the snow without shoveling, or only shoveling moments before you park (car double parked, waiting to immediately pull in).

chigrrl1

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »
Legally it is stated that the owner of the ground floor apartment should shovel.

I'm confused by this.  If it is a public spot, how can someone be legally obligated to shovel it?  If indeed it is this neighbor's responsibility to shovel the spots, whether they use the spots or have a car is irrelevant.  If shoveling is a part of their rental agreement, that's who should be taking care of it.  Obviously, it would be "nice" to help out an elderly neighbor, but if said neighbor benefits in some way (e.g. reduced rent for helping with snow removal), it's ultimately his responsibility.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 09:55:36 AM »
Legally it is stated that the owner of the ground floor apartment should shovel.

I'm confused by this.  If it is a public spot, how can someone be legally obligated to shovel it?  If indeed it is this neighbor's responsibility to shovel the spots, whether they use the spots or have a car is irrelevant.  If shoveling is a part of their rental agreement, that's who should be taking care of it.  Obviously, it would be "nice" to help out an elderly neighbor, but if said neighbor benefits in some way (e.g. reduced rent for helping with snow removal), it's ultimately his responsibility.

In many areas, the owner of a property is responsible for the snow removal. Every apartment I've lived in, the landlord has to remove the snow from stairs and sidewalks and sometimes driveways, usually within a certain number of hours after the snow stops falling. Business owners have to clear the sidewalks in front of their stores. If the landlord/owner is not physically capable of removing the snow, they need to hire someone to do the work.

So really, the landlord, or in this case the owner, is responsible.

So the choices are, clear the parking spots and hope you get a chance to use them.

Clear the parking spots and nicely ask the other residents not to use them. But for how long? Until the snow melts? Or just a few days?

Barter with the owner of the first floor apartment that you will do the snow removal in exchange for exclusive rights to one or both parking spots (depending on how many spots you clear).
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Syrse

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 12:06:50 PM »
OP here.

I'll try to clear away some confusion: the landlord is NOT responsible, law in our country states that the people living on the ground floor are.
It's also not a public spot, it's kind of like a driveway.
I'd also feel hesitant calling dibs on a spot. We are allowed to use them, but they are not ours by default.

For now the snow has melted, so I'll wait and see if more snow falls  :)

DollyPond

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 09:43:30 PM »
Then there's the Pittsburgh Solution....shovel out the spot, move your car, then block the spot with an old kitchen chair.   ::)

crella

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 02:33:57 AM »
Hahahaha, Boston (Dorchester) too! It always cracked me up to see those 50s style padded chrome kitchen chairs out to save a space.