Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Mismatched china

(1/3) > >>

Willowbrook:
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. I inherited a very pretty set of china from my mother when she died. I've scoured the Internet and can't find replacement pieces for it. I would love to use chargers in my formal place settings, but I won't find any to match. I think the mismatched look works out fine most of the time, but most of the set is one pattern, so I'm not sure it'll work out in this case. Anyone else use mismatched pieces with one predominant set? How did it look?

Outdoor Girl:
If it is a more informal dinner, mismatch to your heart's content.  I do one meal a year with a bunch of people and I actually try to ensure each dinner and dessert plate is a different pattern.

But if you are looking for a more formal look, I would buy plain pieces in a colour that matches the pieces you have.  So if your plates are a patterned border with white in the middle, I'd buy plain white pieces and then mix and match.  And alternate every other person's place setting.  So if I have a patterned dinner plate and plain side plate for A, B would get a plain dinner plate and patterned side plate, for example.

I've never used chargers but if I was going to, I'd pick up a less dominant colour in the pattern and try to find chargers in the same or a complimentary colour and I'd use them for every place setting to pull everything together.

RebeccainGA:
Agreed - and I'd also (on a practical note) suggest contacting Replacements.com - they have EVERYTHING. I've found pieces for my DP's inhereted china set that she didn't eve know they made, and have made a fractured box of random pieces into a full set for 10 with their help - and done the same for the silver. Both were very obscure patterns, limited productions by small companies in the South.

Hmmmmm:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on January 17, 2013, 01:23:25 PM ---If it is a more informal dinner, mismatch to your heart's content.  I do one meal a year with a bunch of people and I actually try to ensure each dinner and dessert plate is a different pattern.

But if you are looking for a more formal look, I would buy plain pieces in a colour that matches the pieces you have.  So if your plates are a patterned border with white in the middle, I'd buy plain white pieces and then mix and match.  And alternate every other person's place setting.  So if I have a patterned dinner plate and plain side plate for A, B would get a plain dinner plate and patterned side plate, for example.

I've never used chargers but if I was going to, I'd pick up a less dominant colour in the pattern and try to find chargers in the same or a complimentary colour and I'd use them for every place setting to pull everything together.

--- End quote ---

Agree with this.  And you don't need to have an exact number. 
Lets say your inheritd set is white with gold rim and blue flowers.  You have 6 dinner plates, 8 bread plates and 4 salad plates.  I'd find a complimentary pattern of just white with gold rim.  If setting a table for 8, you could set:
 6 places with white/blue flower plates, 6 plain white bread plates and 6 plain white dinner salad plates
Then do the 2 head seatings with the plain white dinner plates but use the white and blue flower salad and bread plates.   
For example, say you are setting a table of 8.

SamiHami:
There was a time that having mismatched china and silver was expected, as it implied that one had inherited more than one set from ancestors. People considered it a point of pride. I say mismatch away!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version