Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Mismatched china

<< < (3/3)

Thipu1:
Mismatch to your heart's content. 

If colors are involved, can you coordinate them with a centerpiece of appropriate flowers?

So long as the sizes are consistent, there should be no problem with mismatched glassware. It makes it easier for guests to identify 'their' glasses. 

There's a local restaurant we love in which EVERYTHING is mismatched, including the tables and chairs.  We find it charming and it really feels like eating at Grandma's place.  Now, if they only served the wine in jelly glasses with cartoon characters on the bottom...

Dandelion:
I rather love my mismatched set. We could only find four sets of the china we really liked, in black, which was what we wanted. So we went and found something similar, but by a different company, in white, and bought the other four settings of that. Now, we mix and match on the table: white plate, black bowl; black plate, white bowl; etc.

Then, there's my silver collection. I didn't inherit any silver, and my husband and I can't afford to get a nice set, so... I've collected, piece by piece, a set of silver flatware from garage sales, church sales, thrift stores and the like. They're mostly all different, but most are real silver (I look for the solid stuff, as opposed to plate) and it makes a unique and fun place setting. Some of my friends have favourite pieces to use when I am hosting, and will swap, or choose the seat with their favourite implements.

It amuses me greatly.

SciFiLeslie:
Have you checked here?  http://www.replacements.com/

If you do not know the name/pattern, you can send them a photo and they will ID it for you and you can see what pieces they have (if any)

Minmom3:

--- Quote from: Dandelion on January 20, 2013, 01:04:05 AM ---I rather love my mismatched set. We could only find four sets of the china we really liked, in black, which was what we wanted. So we went and found something similar, but by a different company, in white, and bought the other four settings of that. Now, we mix and match on the table: white plate, black bowl; black plate, white bowl; etc.

Then, there's my silver collection. I didn't inherit any silver, and my husband and I can't afford to get a nice set, so... I've collected, piece by piece, a set of silver flatware from garage sales, church sales, thrift stores and the like. They're mostly all different, but most are real silver (I look for the solid stuff, as opposed to plate) and it makes a unique and fun place setting. Some of my friends have favourite pieces to use when I am hosting, and will swap, or choose the seat with their favourite implements.

It amuses me greatly.

--- End quote ---

We don't break it out too often, since DH is terminally careless about that kind of thing, but I too have a hodgepodge set that MIL put together by dribs and drabs from the flea market.  All sterling.  At LEAST 5 different patterns.  Some of it's less than beautiful, but some of it IS beautiful.  One of the serving spoons is from 1806.  1806!!!!  I have a serving spoon over 200 years old!!!  All by the grace of my MIL, who loved any excuses to go shopping.  I love my set.  I made silver cloth bags for all the pieces, and it barely needs a touch up when I pull it out again.  I also have my grandmothers old Rosenthal china.  Service for 12!  Beautiful and fragile.  Dear to my heart.   People complaining about non-matching perfection can go jump in the lake!

kherbert05:

--- Quote from: SamiHami on January 17, 2013, 03:13:20 PM ---There was a time that having mismatched china and silver was expected, as it implied that one had inherited more than one set from ancestors. People considered it a point of pride. I say mismatch away!

--- End quote ---
When my cousin C was getting married, she was trying to decide on a china pattern. She also had a partial set inherritated from our mutual grandmother and a partial set from her paternal grandmother. One day I was over at her house fixing something for her. She and her Mom, sister, and niece had the 2 sets of china out and were talking about what to register for.

I looked at them and asked can't you just get some simple pieces with blues and greens then use both Mimmi's and Texas Nanny's sets together. It would match your personality - kind of gesturing to her very eclectic but tied together house. (Those from Houston it was one of those old sugar factory workers houses in old Sugar Land).

Well they looked at me like I had just grown a new head then C grabbed me in a bear hug. That is what she did. She also uses flowers and linens to tie the colors together. It looks very formal.

I think what you really need to pull it off is to love the look and have confidence in it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version