Author Topic: Bringing Food to Others homes for Parties  (Read 3936 times)

LeveeWoman

Re: Bringing Food to Others homes for Parties
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 12:55:35 PM »
"I would start doing more hosting in my own home if I were in your shoes."

I would host more, however, if I told you some of our adventures with attempting to host our families for holidays, I fear that everyone here would tell me to close the shades and not answer the phone and hid under a rock rather than deal with them.

Thanks again

Spill!

Emmy

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 08:10:02 PM »
Getting the full story, it seems unfair to call the OP rude for providing necessities for herself and her family.  Expecting somebody to go without basic necessities such as food, drink, or plates and cups to use or labeling them 'rude' for providing these items for themselves boggles my mind.  SIL has seen the consequences for her lack of planning and it doesn't seem to bother her that her guests do without the basics.  The OP is making the situation manageable for herself and her family by providing the food and utensils that the host refuses to provide.  I don't see how that is rude and making such an effort to spend time with her DH's family seems to show a lot of devotion to her DH on her part.

OP, how often do you and MIL make the same dish for a party?  It seems a bit unusual that this would be a coincidence (unless you both tend to make the same dish for all potlucks).  I like the idea of calling her ahead of time.  If she doesn't know what she will make, then you can tell her what you will make.

I do think the OP should bring containers she won't miss if she wants to avoid a confrontation, but not go out of her way too much.  It isn't rude to tell MIL and SIL that they cannot take your pot.  If they don't have a container to store leftovers, too bad. 

mj

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »
At this point, I would decline.  There is just too much going on and SIL obviously didn't get the natural consequence of hosting so poorly before, the next step is to stop going.  You might even set it in motion for other guests who have felt the need to go because it is family, yet their own holiday is less than ideal. 

I would love to hear your hosting stories too.  We have some similar issues with family events and parties that are tough to navigate.  Have only tried hosting a couple times but that seemed to cause as much problems as being a guest.

iggy257

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »
Ok, I promise this week I will post some of my hosting horror stories.  At this point I can laugh at most of them, others make me roll my eyes.  I will start a new thread.