Author Topic: Close your darn legs!  (Read 4166 times)

spaceheatersusan

Close your darn legs!
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:39:57 PM »
Those of you who ride the bus, I'm sure you've encountered this.  A guy sits down next to you, and sits with his legs spread wide open like this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bettyx1138/3797292170/
taking up all of his seat and encroaching way into your territory.  You're then force to scrunch your legs together to try to avoid rubbing legs with some strange man.

Is there a polite way to say "Please close your legs!"
Check out my etsy shop for one-of-a-kind handmade jewelry!
www.noneoftheabove.etsy.com

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Close your darn legs!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »
Oh, I hate this! I even have wondered if there's something in the male body structure that makes it really uncomfortable not to sit that way.

I usually say, "excuse me, could you move your leg?" and just point to the ONE leg that's in my body space.

MrTango

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:47:42 PM »
Oh, I hate this! I even have wondered if there's something in the male body structure that makes it really uncomfortable not to sit that way.

I usually say, "excuse me, could you move your leg?" and just point to the ONE leg that's in my body space.

Yes, in fact there is.  It's the very part the body that traditionally defines one as male.

With that said, it shouldn't be necessary to have one's legs so widely spread that it encroaches on others' space.

squeakers

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »

There actually is a male structure or 3 coming into play.  It can be physically uncomfortable for a guy to squeeze his legs shut for an extended period of time when sitting.  TMI: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_guys_sit_with_their_legs_open
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 07:52:30 PM »
I'd probably not move my leg beyond what was comfortable for me and then, if necessary, say "Please stop touching me."

Addy

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
Gah! I was in the middle seat of a plane once with two men on either side, both doing that! And to make matters worse, one of them was also hogging the arm rest.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 08:10:12 PM »

There actually is a male structure or 3 coming into play.  It can be physically uncomfortable for a guy to squeeze his legs shut for an extended period of time when sitting.  TMI: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_guys_sit_with_their_legs_open

Ah, but I think there are some guys who purposely spread out more than they need to, to give the impression that their structures are comparable to the Empire State Building.  >:D

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 08:10:25 PM »
Gah! I was in the middle seat of a plane once with two men on either side, both doing that! And to make matters worse, one of them was also hogging the arm rest.

In that situation, I don't think a "Hey guys!  I'm squished here!  Give me a little room, wouldja?!" with a smile would be rude.  They may need to "air out" a bit, but they don't have to take so much room that someone in-between them can't breathe.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 08:21:51 PM »
Yes, it’s annoying and I see nothing wrong with saying “Excuse me, could you move your leg?”

However, sometimes when they twist around and sit wide-legged they spread out in the aisle, which makes it hard for people to pass when getting on/off.  Several times I’ve said “Could you move your feet, please?”  This gets me an eyeroll or they take their time moving – rarely do I get a “sorry.”

Emmy

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »
I was visiting a friend in the city on a weekend and we took the subway to get places.  There was one guy with his legs spread so far apart, it was almost a 180 degree angle.  He blocked 3 full seats.  I don't know if he was rude because the subway was not crowded and nobody needed to sit there.  I had the misfortune of being right across from him and it was awkward to look at him.

Cami

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »

Ah, but I think there are some guys who purposely spread out more than they need to, to give the impression that their structures are comparable to the Empire State Building.  >:D
  They're probably like those guys who drive the huge pick up trucks with the oversized wheels, aka Compensatory Vehicles.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 11:06:34 PM »
You don't have to actually squish your legs up.  Just don't give them that space.  It isn't rude to keep/claim your own space, and they won't think you are.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 11:56:37 PM »
But in my experience, they won't move their legs so as to not press on yours. They'll just let their legs press up against you pretty hard. THEY don't mind.

I do sometimes leave my leg where I want it, and then say "excuse me," and point to their leg.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 04:33:02 AM »
Ugh, that is so annoying.

I once got nowhere by making a fuss and he was hurting me so I pushed and he made a stupid "woooo" noise like a little kid.  I'm still annoyed about it!

suzieQ

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »
Reminds me of being on the bus at Disney. I was between DH (who is a large man) and an even larger than him woman. I cringed inside when I saw she was going to sit on my other side, and sure enough, it was an uncomfortable ride. DH did close his legs but the sheer body mass  of both of them squished me all the way up, not just my legs.