General Etiquette > Life...in general

What is an acceptable time to call someone in the morning?

(1/16) > >>

oopsie:
This morning, I got a call just after 8am.

Background: the call was from the woman mentioned in this thread:

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=123698.0;topicseen

I don't like this woman and have tried to make a cut direct with her - something I thought would be easy to do when they moved.

When she called just after 8am, she woke me up. I hadn't heard from her since just after they moved to a town over an hour away this past summer. She started by making small talk which involved her asking me questions about my life (what have I been up to?, were we going on any vacations this year?, etc.) I answered her questions politely but did not go in to any detail.

There was a lull in the "conversation" where she stopped her questions to me and I guess, was waiting for me to start asking her questions about her life but when I didn't, she said "well this is turning out to be an awkward conversation."  ???

Anyway, she finally got on with it and told me that she was calling because she had invited a friend of her DD (who is also a good friend of my DD) over for the weekend and thought maybe our DD could also come. It was very last minute so I had to decline. She then went on to tell me all about her life since they moved and how great things were, yadda, yadda, yadda.

When I got off the phone with her, I couldn't help but feel miffed by the whole thing. It's like she was put out by my not being enthused by her phone call. Meanwhile I'm thinking "Lady, it's just after 8am, you woke me up, I don't really want to have a conversation with you right now, we're not BFFs (in fact I would love never to see or hear from you again ever) and all for a last minute, second thought invite for DD?"

Personally, I think any phone call before 9am unless an emergency or from close friends or family (a know your audience kind of thing) is a no-no but it got me thinking...is there an "etiquette approved" time to call someone in the morning?

Shoo:
I hate to say it, but once again you've been far too nice to this woman.  You should have told her she woke you up and you're not awake enough for a conversation.  Then say sorry, goodbye, and then hang up.

And I do think 8 a.m. is too early to call someone's home.  I wouldn't call someone before 9 a.m. unless I knew with 100% certainty they were up and awake.

jaxsue:
I think 8 am is a bit early to call someone unless you know without a doubt that they are up for the day and available. In my case, that would only be my work supervisor; I know she's up at 6 am, as I am. Our workday starts early. And even then, I text instead of call.

I know a couple of people who get upset if you call before 11 am (they don't work nights). Yet they will call me at 10:30 at night, which is far too late for non-emergency calls for me. Yeah, a little respect the other way around would help.  :P

jaxsue:

--- Quote from: Shoo on January 18, 2013, 12:46:57 PM ---I hate to say it, but once again you've been far too nice to this woman.  You should have told her she woke you up and you're not awake enough for a conversation.  Then say sorry, goodbye, and then hang up.

And I do think 8 a.m. is too early to call someone's home.  I wouldn't call someone before 9 a.m. unless I knew with 100% certainty they were up and awake.

--- End quote ---

What Shoo said.

Cami:
I do not call people in my personal life before 9am or after 9pm. The only exception would be my sister.

I am not a morning person and if you wake me up, you will get a very groggy and highly irritated version of me and will quickly learn that calling early is not your best possible option. In other words, do not feel compelled to continue a conversation when you have been woken up. A phone call is not a court subpeona -- you don't have to answer and if you answer, you do not need to continue a conversation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version