Author Topic: What is an acceptable time to call someone in the morning?  (Read 14658 times)

QueenfaninCA

Re: What is an acceptable time to call someone in the morning?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 01:13:32 PM »
9am. Yes, I'm up earlier, but I need to get a kid to school on time. And we don't have a lot of spare time built in for mommy being on the phone instead of getting herself and kiddo ready to leave. Yes, I have been rather short (but still polite) to my MIL as she seems not to understand that I can't chat with her while packing kiddo's lunchbox and chasing after kiddo to get dressed.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 01:15:08 PM »
POD with those who say a certain time unless otherwise told.

By the way, it's utterly vexing when my phone rings while I'm trying to dematerialize! Don't people know it's dangerous to talk on the phone while maneuvering through a time vortex?! I might cross the wrong time stream and hit a younger version of myself!*

*Don't call me while I'm driving! I never pick up! Oh, all right, not everyone knows I'll be driving at the time. I still hate it. Everyone who knows me knows to call twice in rapid succession if it's an emergency and I'll pull over to answer if I'm able to.
Who is the Doctor?

snowdragon

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
I would not have answered the phone. I am not up at that time and I refuse to answer the phone - if it's an emergency they'll call back.   Nor would I have engaged with someone I did not want to talk to...I think I would tell her "I am not willing to discuss this with you to all her questions" She'd get the message eventually

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »
Normally, I'd say about 9am unless the person works graveyards.

In this case? I don't know that I'd answer this woman's calls at all. Maybe setting her ringer to "silent" would be a good idea.
Utah

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »
I generally would say 9-9 but would not be upset if someone called at 8 as I know a lot of people get up earlier than me.  I would have let my daughter go since you said your daughter is very good friends with the kids as well.  When I was in school, almost EVERYTHING was last minute when it came to staying overnights somewhere else.  That would not bother me.  I find it a bit sad - I know you said it was too last minute, but the impression I got is that because you don't like her, you are preventing your daughter from spending this time with her friends.

oopsie

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 01:33:34 PM »
I find it a bit sad - I know you said it was too last minute, but the impression I got is that because you don't like her, you are preventing your daughter from spending this time with her friends.

Don't go there. This is not at all true.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 01:38:43 PM »
I said that is the impression I got.  You have more than ample reason to dislike this woman but that came through your post more than anything else for me.

oopsie

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »
I said that is the impression I got.

That's fine but you are mistaken.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »
Personally, if someone calls me at 8am, they are likely to be greeted with a polite but groggy query as to why they feel the need to wake me. My work allows for great flexibility in scheduling (unless circumstances dictate otherwise), and as I am a natural night owl, I tend to work a skewed schedule. DF usually works nights, and anyone who knows us knows  that it's probably best to text us with an awakeness query before calling. In fact, if I am inclined to call someone at a borderline or questionable time, that's what I usually do - text to see if they're up, and wait for a reply that it's OK before I call.

(YMMV - most people I know who would be awakened by a text will usually turn off their phones overnight or have it away from their bedroom.)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 01:48:54 PM »
That seems to assume everyone has the same definition of what a borderline hour is and that everyone has unlimited texting to play with.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »
I agree with the 9AM – 9PM window for casual calls.

However, OP, from what I’ve read you don’t want to hear from this woman at all.  Isn’t that the real issue?  (i.e., if she had called at 12noon 3PM, whatever………you would not have been happy.  Right?)

oopsie

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »
I agree with the 9AM – 9PM window for casual calls.

However, OP, from what I’ve read you don’t want to hear from this woman at all.  Isn’t that the real issue?  (i.e., if she had called at 12noon 3PM, whatever………you would not have been happy.  Right?)

100% correct! In a perfect world, lol! However, a 9am or later phone call would not have prompted this thread...

MrTango

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 02:04:27 PM »
When I was at a job that required me to call people at their homes, my personal rule was that I wouldn't call anyone until 9:00am their local time.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »
My general rule of thumb is 9am-9pm. There are exceptions, however. My mom, who I call sometimes when I get home from job #2, anywhere from 9:30-10pm. But she's a night owl like me, so I know unless something is really wrong, like she's sick, she's up. And in the am, I will sometimes call her starting around 8:30 - again, I know her scheudle, and while she may not be 100% awake, she's up and willling to talk. and if not, she has no problem telling me so!

I ahve other friends who are early risers, and will sometimes call me early. Sometimes I'm up, but not in the mood to talk, so I let it go. And call back later.

But for people I don't know well, or don't know their "habits" 9 to 9 is what I try and follow.

MizA

• Every day is the best day ever.
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
On weekdays I've off, the phone does not exist before 0900. Weekends, it's 1000. My friends and I usually text.

Because I work shift, I could potentially be asleep at any time. It's easier for me to just turn my phone off if I do not want to be disturbed, and call people back later. My DF is a self-employed IT guy, so his phone is always on. Mind you, if people call before 0800, or after 2300, he bills them off-hour rates.
)'( The world would rather hug you than hurt you )'(