Author Topic: What is an acceptable time to call someone in the morning?  (Read 9336 times)

Eden

Re: What is an acceptable time to call someone in the morning?
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 02:32:34 PM »
Count me in on the 9-9 rule as well unless I know something else is okay. That's my same window for texts as well.

AylaM

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 02:34:33 PM »
I like the 9am to 9pm as an acceptable window if you don't know the person's schedule.  If you do, you should try to call at a time that you know they'll be awake.

I'm a natural night owl as well and if left unchecked I will slowly shift from normal hours to going to bed at 3am and waking at 11am.  This worked well while I was in school as my classes didn't let out until ten at night.

When I am on that schedule I am annoyed at 8am calls, but resigned to 9am calls.  If a friend calls at 9am I'd be annoyed as they would likely know that I won't be awake for a few hours.  But businesses and such I don't mind because I realize that my schedule is not normal.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 02:36:12 PM »
That seems to assume everyone has the same definition of what a borderline hour is and that everyone has unlimited texting to play with.

For the folks I am most likely to call, I usually have a pretty good idea of what their borderline hours are, and I'm not talking about multiple times/day texting - in fact, among those I converse with most, I usually have the more limited texting plan (not unlimited, and actually quite low). So it's a system that works quite well for me, and might for others as well.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »
If my phone rings between 9pm and 9am I expect to hear that a loved on is in the hospital or dead.  If that's not the case, the caller will get an earful from me.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

mrkitty

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »
I have a general rule that calls between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. are acceptable, unless I know the person deviates from that schedule - or time zone differences. For example, my brother lives on the west coast and I'm east coast, so we try to keep that in mind as well as typical "dinner hour" - but other than that 9-9 is the rule I live by.
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

CluelessBride

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 04:48:48 PM »
I would actually say 8.  I realize 9 is when a lot of businesses open but those people did not beam in from bed where they were sound asleep a moment before. On a weekend I would wait until 9.

But just because they can't beam directly there doesn't mean they need to be up by 8 am to get to work at 9.  I (intentionally) live only 10 minutes from work and it only takes me 10-15 minutes to get ready most mornings - less if I shower the night before. If I needed to be in by 9 I would set my alarm for 8:20-8:30. And then the time I do have I use to get ready, so even though I'd be awake I wouldn't want to field a call.

In the absence of knowing a person's schedule I'd limit calls to between 10 am and 8 pm to be safe.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »
I would actually say 8.  I realize 9 is when a lot of businesses open but those people did not beam in from bed where they were sound asleep a moment before. On a weekend I would wait until 9.

But just because they can't beam directly there doesn't mean they need to be up by 8 am to get to work at 9.  I (intentionally) live only 10 minutes from work and it only takes me 10-15 minutes to get ready most mornings - less if I shower the night before. If I needed to be in by 9 I would set my alarm for 8:20-8:30. And then the time I do have I use to get ready, so even though I'd be awake I wouldn't want to field a call.

In the absence of knowing a person's schedule I'd limit calls to between 10 am and 8 pm to be safe.

And just because they may be up at 8am, doesn't mean they're ready to face the world at that hour.  I'm up at 5am for work during the week, and because I'm used to getting up early, I just naturally wake up early on weekends too, but I really don't want the phone ringing at 7am just because I might be awake.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2013, 05:32:39 PM »
On a weekday, unless I knew otherwise I'd go with 8am.  Later on weekends.

OP, I don't know the backstory but it sounds like you really hate this woman -- can you block her number?

oopsie

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 05:43:16 PM »
OP, I don't know the backstory but it sounds like you really hate this woman -- can you block her number?

I don't hate her but I definitely dislike her. I could block her number but I wouldn't want her daughter (who I do like) not to be able to call my DD. I have no issues with them maintaining their friendship.

SpikeMichigan

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »
 Your attitude about the time of the call may be linked to your dislike of this chick!

I think in an emergency, or if its somebody who you know for a fact has the same schedule as you, early is fine. Otherwise.. after about 9, I guess. Depends on the context, the night before...etc.

I remember calling one of my friends at about 4pm, and she seemed completely out of it, wasnt really responding, and I quickly realised...'Um...did I just wake you up?'. Apparently so. I maintain that wasn't an unreasonable time to call!

Girly

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2013, 05:47:51 PM »
Well, first, if it's a social call, I'd say to my friend "Why in the heck are you calling me so early?" in a good-natured way.

If it's a business call, I'd either answer the phone, or let it go to VM.

It sounds to me, OP, like most of your frustration is that you don't like this woman. I'm not sure why you stayed on the phone with her so long once you realized it was her. A simple "Can I call you back later? We usually get up around 9am and I'm a little groggy" would have ended the call, and let her know in the future to not call so early.

oopsie

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 05:49:45 PM »
Your attitude about the time of the call may be linked to your dislike of this chick!

I admit, it certainly doesn't help.

I remember calling one of my friends at about 4pm, and she seemed completely out of it, wasnt really responding, and I quickly realised...'Um...did I just wake you up?'. Apparently so. I maintain that wasn't an unreasonable time to call!

4pm?? Yeah, I'd have to agree with you on that one! I have a client who I woke up when I called at 11am one morning (he's unemployed). Now, I try never to call him before noon, lol!!

oopsie

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2013, 05:52:22 PM »
Well, first, if it's a social call, I'd say to my friend "Why in the heck are you calling me so early?" in a good-natured way.

If it's a business call, I'd either answer the phone, or let it go to VM.

It sounds to me, OP, like most of your frustration is that you don't like this woman. I'm not sure why you stayed on the phone with her so long once you realized it was her. A simple "Can I call you back later? We usually get up around 9am and I'm a little groggy" would have ended the call, and let her know in the future to not call so early.

Not going to happen, lol!!

CluelessBride

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2013, 05:59:25 PM »

Absolutely a reasonable time to call. Although I wouldn't hold it against someone if they seemed groggily annoyed if I woke them up. Just because its reasonable to be calling doesn't mean its fun or less disorienting to get woken up.

I had someone accidentally call me at 4:30am on Black Friday once. I'd been up until about 12:30-1am cleaning up from Thanksgiving and the phone ringing sent me into a panic. It was a brief phone call (basically it went "ooops! I didn't mean to call you in the middle of the night, so sorry, go back to sleep"), but the damage was done and I couldn't get back to sleep even after I got my heart rate back down. So I just started my day.

Then later that afternoon I was obviously tired and decided to take a nap. I'd been asleep maybe half an hour when the same friend called and woke me up again. To apologize for waking me up in the middle of the night. At which point she realized she'd woken me up again. Oops.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »
I'm going to split the difference and say 8:30am-9:30pm on weekdays. 10-10:30pm on weekends.

Any earlier or later than that and I text first.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice