Author Topic: Boy in ballet, he must be....  (Read 12084 times)

katycoo

Re: Boy in ballet, he must be....
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2013, 09:28:33 PM »
So many responses.

1. How many male ballet dancers have you actualy known?

2. Dancing exposes him to a lot of half-naked girls.  He'll thank us later.

3. or my fave:  Yes, that's what we're hoping for.

Shuts em right up.

Ballet is a notoriously difficult sport,and also incrediably manly at adult level.  I'd be very proud to have a dancing son.

mmswm

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2013, 10:32:27 PM »

Coffee meet monitor.

Actually, my 11 year old says something similar to this quite a bit.  The athletic aspect of ballet is awe-inspiring.  I've been around a lot of dancers, as I went to a boarding school for the performing arts in high school, and now my son dances.  He went to an audition for Canada's National Ballet school a year ago and I thought he was going to collapse from the work they put those kids through.  It really is a lot of work.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2013, 11:16:23 PM »
I think that a male allet dancer would win a fight with many other sport people. They have great strength, stamina and agility. Have you ever seen those guys lift the girls as if they weigh nothing?

The sad truth is that anything female related is considered inferior to male stuff. The most vilified books are for a female audience (twilight and 50 shades). The most vilified popstar sings for teen girls (bieber). A girl going to a guy movie withher boyfriend is considered normal, even expected (a reason why not so mucg attention is spent on thattarhetgroup for such movies), a guy going to a girl movie with his girlfriend is considered a big sacrifice. A woman becoming anengineer is awesome, a man becoming a nuse (or ballet dancer) is uncool.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2013, 12:57:38 AM »
I'd reply, "You should ask Mikhail Baryshnikov what he thinks of that theory".

This. I love this. I can't get over how far apart the reality is from this particular stereotype. The bozos may call them twinkle toes, but (male) dancers are usually seen as athletic and sexy.

I also can't believe people still throw around the insulting assumption that all male "you knows" are effeminate. They can be/do anything, just like everyone else. There are "you know" football players, martial artists, etc. Pick any activity and I'm sure you can find a "you know" who is interested in it.

If you really feel the need to engage these morons about their assumptions about ballet or the people who perform it, maybe you could look at them wide-eyed and say "Gosh, I thought dancing was for coordination, athleticism, and creativity. How does it make you 'you know'?"  ??? Treat them like they should give you a scientific explanation for their idiocy. Make them take you through the actual supposed 'conversion' process.

If they can actually do the above without sounding like and idiot, and realizing they sound like and idiot, and continue to insist that ballet is bad/will make your son 'YK', just shut them down with "I love and support my son. Period."
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

poundcake

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2013, 02:17:54 AM »
The responses in this thread are giving me hope for humanity.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2013, 02:35:07 AM »
My out friends would love this, most of them are as far from stereotypical as you can get and bad dancers to boot. Plus, what girl doesn't love a guy who can dance, regardless of who he loves?  As for girly stuff as a kid, my "lil bro" is married and as wonderful cook.  His wife thanks my sister and I for teaching him that dress up and cooking go both ways. >:D

Shopaholic

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2013, 06:51:42 AM »
I'd reply, "You should ask Mikhail Baryshnikov what he thinks of that theory".

This was my first thought, too.

Gail

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2013, 07:17:59 AM »
I think I would react saying: "Wow, I wouldn't have imagined you were THAT kid of person".

But maybe that would be rude.
The last time I said what I was really thinking there was an "intervention".

magicdomino

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2013, 10:21:34 AM »
I think that a male ballet dancer would win a fight with many other sport people. They have great strength, stamina and agility. Have you ever seen those guys lift the girls as if they weigh nothing?

Yup.  He's lifting 90 pounds, straight-armed, no grunting or grimacing allowed.  And he's doing it after running around for 20 or 30 minutes.  And he has to make it look good.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2013, 10:33:36 AM »
I think that a male allet dancer would win a fight with many other sport people. They have great strength, stamina and agility. Have you ever seen those guys lift the girls as if they weigh nothing?

The sad truth is that anything female related is considered inferior to male stuff. The most vilified books are for a female audience (twilight and 50 shades). The most vilified popstar sings for teen girls (bieber). A girl going to a guy movie withher boyfriend is considered normal, even expected (a reason why not so mucg attention is spent on thattarhetgroup for such movies), a guy going to a girl movie with his girlfriend is considered a big sacrifice. A woman becoming anengineer is awesome, a man becoming a nuse (or ballet dancer) is uncool.

Yup, totally agree.  And my favorite response to "Oh no, ballet will turn your son effeminate/gay!" would have to be "So?"  I wouldn't bother correcting the misconceptions about ballet because that seems to imply that being effeminate or gay is a bad thing.  Since the OP doesn't appear to have an issue with either, I would just make that very clear.

Shea

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
I did a lot of Scottish folkdance and Highland dance in college, and one guy in the group was a National Guardsman, and a dang good dancer. Have you ever seen a 6 foot 3 or 4, muscular guy do the Highland Fling in a kilt and combat boots? It's impressive (if slightly clunkier than the traditional version).

I really think the best response you can give (as amusing as a lot of these are) is, "So?" with a raised eyebrow. That will either force them to either back down, or to explain exactly why you should be "worried". Which, I imagine, most people are not going to do.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

wheeitsme

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »
Boy in ballet, he must be...

...a kid who wants to be a better football player?

...an amazing athlete?

...surrounded by pretty girls?

mmswm

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2013, 03:47:48 PM »
Boy in ballet, he must be...

...a kid who wants to be a better football player?

...an amazing athlete?

...surrounded by pretty girls?

The part in bold reminded me of something.  Every summer and fall, my son's old ballet studio becomes overrun with boys because one of the local teams requires its players to take ballet as part of their training. I can't believe I forgot about that.

Iris

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »
l suppose "What the heck is wrong with you? Who would even ask that?" wouldn't be ehell approved, but it's the first thing that would come to MY mind.

Coffee meet monitor.

This is a true thing. I knew a young man who did dance. He was raised to be a gentleman but he once told me that if he had been looking, he could have seen more by age 14 than his friends saw by age 24.

One of my fondest memories of teaching is when, after an announcement about the cheerleading team, one of my students (age about 12) said "Cheerleading? You'd have to be g-y" l looked at him and said thoughtfully "Hm, yes, you're probably right. Lifting pretty girls in short skirts up above your head? Nothing there for a straight guy." Watching his face as the cogs ticked over in his head was pure delight. He was later heard expressing his resolve to try out for cheerleading.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

JacklynHyde

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2013, 05:22:42 PM »
My friend's daughter is on her middle school's wrestling team.  Wonder what people would think of that?