Author Topic: Creepy, disturbing, but also attractive  (Read 6818 times)

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
Creepy, disturbing, but also attractive
« on: January 18, 2013, 08:29:15 PM »
I’m not sure this thread will go anywhere because the question/premise is kind of strange, but it’s worth a try.

Can you think of a creepy/unpleasant scene in a movie where the main character was attractive/sexy because of what s/he was doing (excluding sex scenes)?

Here are a few of mine:

Deliverance – Burt Reynolds when he was holding the bow & arrow (good shot!).  ;)

Godfather I – James Caan (Sonny Corleone) when he sloooowly fell after getting plastered with bullets at the toll both.

Pulp Fiction – Bruce Willis when he selected (and used) the perfect sword.

I asked a friend who happens to love Catherine Zeta-Jones, and he said in the movie Traffic when she said “Shoot him in the head.”

He also said (and this was a surprise) Octavia Spencer (Minnie) in the pie scene from The Help.

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any recent movie scenes that apply.

TylerBelle

Re: Creepy, disturbing, but also attractive
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »
In District 9, when Sharlto Copley (Wikus van de Merwe) was turning into the alien. He was just so cute and helpless and I just wanted him to eventually be cured.

In Stand by Me, Kiefer Sutherland (Ace) was such a mean bully, but quite appealing.

Any time James Cagney played a gangster. (Of course loved him as George M. Cohen, too!)

And I so agree with that Burt Reynolds scene in Deliverance.

Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

oceanus

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:59:23 PM »
In Stand by Me, Kiefer Sutherland (Ace) was such a mean bully, but quite appealing.

Yes, ditto re: Matt Dillon in My Bodyguard.  A real gem for those who haven't seen it.

(What made me think of this thread was a friend recently saw Deliverance for the first time.  I was not big Burt Reynolds fan, but, whew  :D, something about him in that little leather vest with that bow & arrow!  Yowza!  Of course, he was a LOT younger.)

Just thought of another one:  Body Heat when William Hurt throws the chair through the front door and breaks the glass.  I'll skip discussing what happens next. ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:15:37 PM by oceanus »

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:44:29 PM »
Antonio Banderas, shooting everyone in Cheech Marin's bar in Desperado.

Johnny Depp, with his eyes removed, shooting blindly in the sequel.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Adelaide

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 10:54:18 PM »
Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List. I know, I know, I'm a horrible person.

Also Jason Isaacs in The Patriot.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:08:44 PM by Adelaide »

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 11:01:44 PM »
Not a movie, but a TV show: Norman Reedus' character in The Walking Dead. One scene in particular has him pulling an arrow out of his side and then eating a raw squirrel before attempting to climb up an enbankement. So dirty and gross, but so hot at the same time.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

oceanus

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 11:10:07 PM »
Godfather II - Al Pacino, as he looks out the window watching his brother Fredo being killed in the boat.  Also, closing the door in Diane Keaton's face after she sneaks in to visit her children.

Cold, Michael, cold.  But I thought he was so cute back in the day.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 11:28:54 PM »
Nicholas Cage when he got locked up in Con Air. That long hair. Phew!

HoneyBee42

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 11:32:36 PM »
Batman, Jack Nicholson as Jack Napier/Joker.

Stand out moment--when he's leaving Alicia to go meet (pre-Jokerization) and she tells him that he looks good, he turns back with that little quirk of the eyebrow "I didn't ask" ... creepy, disturbing and more menace distilled in that little eyebrow quirk ... but darn if he didn't look really good at that moment.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 12:02:18 AM »
Hmmm Lestat, after feeding from Jessie in Queen of the Damned... then feeding from Akasha. So disgusting... but dang if he wasn't hot doing it! *is weird*

Amava

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 06:42:05 AM »
That would  be Severus Snape for me. And not just "Rickman Snape". Him too, of course, but (*puts on hipster glasses*) I already loved Snape before the movies were made or before the books even became very popular.

I also very much liked Marc Warren's interpretation of Mister Teatime in Hogfather. 
Since he is less commonly known than Snape, I'll include a pic. I hope I don't send you running off screaming.

"It's pronounced Teh-ah-ti-meh, Sir."

And you know who I also sometimes find weirdly attractive, no matter how silly-with-an-often-petty-and-nasty-streak he is? Rowan Atkinson's Blackadder. Ok, go ahead, laugh.  ;D

Oh, and, edited to add: we must not forget Dr. House!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:44:17 AM by Amava »

Snowy Owl

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 07:18:08 AM »
Also Jason Isaacs in The Patriot.

Definitely.  Jason Isaacs is amazing in that film and I really like him with long hair.  I think Mel Gibson must not have realised quite how many people were cheering the bad guy on as being better looking and having better characterisation.  Not helped by the fact it's a really bad film in my view (lots of historical inaccuracies and some really clunky dialogue). 

I'd add to this Jason Isaacs in Harry Potter.  It's the combination of long fair hair, long robes and the cane of doom as he moves into shot.  The character's loathsome but he just looks so yummy and moves so beautifully.

Alan Rickman in Die Hard when he's coming up in the lift surrounded by his thugs to the sound of the Ode to Joy.  I know he's a horrible, nasty piece of work, but that's an awesome shot and a standout moment in a fairly average action movie.  I'd agree with Amava, Rickman was also pretty great as Snape. 

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 08:30:27 AM »
Johnny Depp as Sweeney Todd.  The character's an awful person and creepy as all get out but come on, it's Johnny!!

Ninth Gate, also a creepy movie with an unlikable main character but again...Johnny!!

And it is a bad, bad awful terrible no good movie, but "Astronaut's Wife" with Charlize Theron and yep, Johnny Depp.  He plays an astronaut that goes into space and somehow gets possessed with an alien and when he comes back his wife can sense there's something different about him but everyone else thinks she's crazy.  Except his astronaut buddy goes nuts and dies then his wife kills himself and they find out later she was pregnant. 

Then Jillian, Theron's character, finds out she is pregnant with twins and there's this shuttle that by coincidence, only needs to be piloted by two people.  Depp's character does all this gaslighting stuff and an awful person and even though the movie's awful...again, it's Johnny, he just cannot be unattractive to me.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

25wishes

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 09:59:47 AM »
Just have to second Alan RIckman in Die Hard.

Also Rutger Hauer in Blindside - he is tormenting a married couple, blackmailing them because he has seen them commit a crime. But he doesn't want money. The husband asks, "What DO you want?" and he replies, "What have you got?"

Oh heck, Rutger Hauer in just about ANY movie.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »
Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter.  Elegant and compelling.