Author Topic: Creepy, disturbing, but also attractive  (Read 6907 times)

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Re: Creepy, disturbing, but also attractive
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »
Oh, and on that note - Christian Bale in American Psycho.  I mean, his character is totally deranged, but, Christian Bale (at a normal body weight and not either ridiculously skinny or ridiculously bulked out for a role).

I'm definitely with you on this one.

Also, I'm working my way through "Doctor Who" right now (on Series 4, and the tenth doctor), and while I love him when he's kind and happy and helping people/aliens, I've found him (and the ninth doctor) very attractive when they're being vengeful, destructive, and angry.
snip
Time to find the version of "Hamlet" that has David Tennant in the title role.

ETA: here it is... http://video.pbs.org/video/1473795626/

That version is AMAZING, and David Tennant is a fantastic Hamlet. And speaking of creepy-awesome, Patrick Stewart as Claudius is, if possible, even better.

I can't wait to watch it all. I just watched a couple of minutes over my lunch break and like it already!

Tennant does a great Hamlet. As my DH put it "Who better to cast as a man who is trying to fake crazy without realizing he actually might be crazy than a man whose face is made of silly putty?"

Patrick Stewart as Claudius was equally inspired. I think the term 'gravitas' may have been coined especially for him.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

sunnygirl

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2013, 10:27:31 AM »
David Tennant's playing Richard II at the RSC later this year. It's going to be amazing! And probably Iago (Othello) and Angelo (Measure for Measure) there within the next few years too.

Shea

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2013, 12:50:17 PM »
Oh, and on that note - Christian Bale in American Psycho.  I mean, his character is totally deranged, but, Christian Bale (at a normal body weight and not either ridiculously skinny or ridiculously bulked out for a role).

I'm definitely with you on this one.

Also, I'm working my way through "Doctor Who" right now (on Series 4, and the tenth doctor), and while I love him when he's kind and happy and helping people/aliens, I've found him (and the ninth doctor) very attractive when they're being vengeful, destructive, and angry.
snip
Time to find the version of "Hamlet" that has David Tennant in the title role.

ETA: here it is... http://video.pbs.org/video/1473795626/

That version is AMAZING, and David Tennant is a fantastic Hamlet. And speaking of creepy-awesome, Patrick Stewart as Claudius is, if possible, even better.

I can't wait to watch it all. I just watched a couple of minutes over my lunch break and like it already!

Tennant does a great Hamlet. As my DH put it "Who better to cast as a man who is trying to fake crazy without realizing he actually might be crazy than a man whose face is made of silly putty?"

Patrick Stewart as Claudius was equally inspired. I think the term 'gravitas' may have been coined especially for him.

What I loved about Patrick Stewart's interpretation was how he didn't play the role as a total slimebag. I've seen a lot of productions of Hamlet, and most of the Claudiuses (Claudii?) I've seen play him as varying degrees of slimy, because, well, he is slimy. But Patrick Stewart played him as really rather charming. You kind of wanted to like him, which made the fact of who Claudius is as what he's done even more creepy. It's easier when you can just hate the guy, as opposed to having to try not to like him. I thought that interpretation, both in the context of the play and in reference to what it will do to the audience, was absolutely brilliant.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.