Author Topic: You may be my manager, but you really have no idea what you are talking about.  (Read 3516 times)

MOM21SON

I put this here because it involves a manager at work, but it also involves children.

I received a notice in my home mailbox.  It was regarding a new high school for my county.  This is the first year that they are open.  It is only for high school.  This year, it only has 9th grade, next year will be 9th and 10th.  This pattern will continue until 12th grade is reached.

About 2 years ago, another new school opened for middle school.

I was asking my manager if she had heard of the school, told her the details, etc.  She was insistant that the school had been open for a few years.  I told her this school was high school only, she said they must have added to it.  I told her the location of the new school.  She said, no, its at abc.  At that point I just said, ok, thanks.

She is dead wrong, very wrong.  But, I didn't want to argue with her. 

Was there anyway I could have told her she is wrong??  She does have a impact on my job, and she is well known to be very "cold hearted"

Oh, and the reason it came up was because I thought her DD was the in the same grade as DS this year, she is not, she is one year behind.  I was trying to find out if anyone else got this mailing.

Scuba_Dog

Why do you need to tell her she's wrong? Does it make that big of a difference?

I'd just let it go, she'll figure it out on her own and you won't have caused an issue with her over something unimportant.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

MOM21SON

Why do you need to tell her she's wrong? Does it make that big of a difference?

I'd just let it go, she'll figure it out on her own and you won't have caused an issue with her over something unimportant.

I guess, I don't need to tell her she is wrong.  It just sucks when someone talks to you like a complete idoit and there is nothing you can do about it.

mrkitty

Trust me - she'll eventually figure it out, and she'll feel stupid about it. You don't need to do a thing. She'll figure it out, she'll know you're right, you'll know you're right....and you'll know she knows you're right. And she'll still feel stupid.

But if you don't say anything, you still are the bigger person. And, no consequences to your working relationship;D
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

MOM21SON

Trust me - she'll eventually figure it out, and she'll feel stupid about it. You don't need to do a thing. She'll figure it out, she'll know you're right, you'll know you're right....and you'll know she knows you're right. And she'll still feel stupid.

But if you don't say anything, you still are the bigger person. And, no consequences to your working relationship;D

Thanks!  I actually laughed!  There were sooo many wrong things she said during the conversation that my eyelids hurt from blinking.

chibichan

And she'll appreciate the fact that you did not publicly point out how stupid she was .

When I am regaled with " facts " that I know are blatently wrong , I have found that the best way to save face for both parties is to nod sagely and say " Hmmm, that's interesting . I heard something completely different . I'll have to Google it when I get home . "
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
I was asking my manager if she had heard of the school, told her the details, etc.  She was insistant that the school had been open for a few years.  I told her this school was high school only, she said they must have added to it.  I told her the location of the new school.  She said, no, its at abc.  At that point I just said, ok, thanks.

As I understand it, this was just a 'sidebar' type conversation.  I don't see it as being a "you're my manager" issue.  You said your piece.  I don't understand why it's so important to you that she knows she is wrong.  I think you're making too much of it (the "cold-hearted" comments, etc.)  Let it go.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:43:47 PM by oceanus »

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
POD to oceanus. 

Craftymom

Yes, let it go..
That being said, I DO get why it is bugging you. In a way, it is almost if your boss thinks you are "dumb" on something that little, what else is she going to take that same notion to at work?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Since its not work related, and donesn't affect your job, i'd let it go. But I also know how you feel. I have a friend like that, no matter WHAT you say, if she has an idea about something, by golly, it's right.  The more memorable one was that she is absolutely positive there is bran in fruits and veggies. Not fiber, but bran, a grain.  I just let that one go.

MOM21SON

As I understand it, this was just a 'sidebar' type conversation.  I don't see it as being a "you're my manager" issue.  You said your piece.  I don't understand why it's so important to you that she knows she is wrong.  I think you're making too much of it (the "cold-hearted" comments, etc.)  Let it go.

Thanks.  Trust me, it was not a hill to die on. 

Otterpop

"Cold hearted" is a red flag to me.  Don't engage her in anything non-work related.  Some people are such control freaks that they need to remain in control, even of what is TRUE.  They'll twist it in front of your eyes to prove they are right.  If it's proven later they were wrong, you'll never be vindicated as their brains rewrite the conversation.  I once had a boss like this...caution (*shudder*).

Cami

"Cold hearted" is a red flag to me.  Don't engage her in anything non-work related.  Some people are such control freaks that they need to remain in control, even of what is TRUE.  They'll twist it in front of your eyes to prove they are right.  If it's proven later they were wrong, you'll never be vindicated as their brains rewrite the conversation.  I once had a boss like this...caution (*shudder*).

I had a coworker like that. The best way to handle her was to only engage in work-related conversations and even then keep it short and if possible, put it in writing (since they like to change their story to prove they were right when they were actually wrong).