Author Topic: Are wedding presents obligatory?  (Read 4617 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Are wedding presents obligatory?
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »
I think that the "send gifts to the bride's parents' home" likely originated during the era when it was uncommon for middle-to-upper-class women to work outside the home - therefore, the bride or her mother would likely be there during the day to accept deliveries.

And if they weren't, the maid was!  ;D

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2013, 11:27:29 PM »
I think that the "send gifts to the bride's parents' home" likely originated during the era when it was uncommon for middle-to-upper-class women to work outside the home - therefore, the bride or her mother would likely be there during the day to accept deliveries.

For sure!

My DIL-to-be is having fun looking at our 1980 wedding photos.  She actually thinks that my sleeved gown looked like Kate Middleton's (I don't think it does) but still wants strapless, herself.  And I showed them photos of the "wedding cars" (not limos) that we decorated with those tacky plastic flowers, and they actually think they looked great........maybe we could start another revolution here!

kudeebee

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2013, 11:40:35 PM »

Or it was safe to leave them on the front porch or the mailman opened the door and set them inside the house.

Also, many, if not most, young women still lived at home until they married.  So did many young men.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2013, 01:33:09 PM »
I was fairly young when I got married and many of my friends were still in grad school. They did not buy very expensive gifts and we appreciated what we got.   So maybe a nice cookbook?